The VG Resource

Full Version: It's time for some retro...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Personally, I like retro games more than modern ones.

Since the Gamecube and DS came out, games have less love poured into `em in my opinion.
The fact that the other consoles were really weak meant that things like Super Mario World were truly amazing.
And Ocarina of Time.... A transformation from 2D to 3D has never been so amazing...Shy

I really wish they'd make games that looked like SNES and NES games these days. Shy

Of course, even games Like Mario Galaxy should be made, but on Wiiware at least, there should be modern retro games, like Megaman 9. XD

I still play my old Link's Awakening and Super Mario Bros 3. Genki ^_^
i'd hate that someone ever called the nes "weak".
Grow up and stop letting your nostalgia control you, you twit.
Games may have "less love" poured into them

but the true gems are the ones that have been worked on to reach their potential.

Also, indie gaming exists. If you don't like the new gen, just go indie.

Or just keep playing old games via emulation. Problem solved.

Also Gizmonic's post.
PERSONALLY I PREFER THE AIR

Fuck retro/modern, as long as the game's fun, I don't care.

That said, I enjoy games that have an emphasis on customisation and multiplayer; and that kind of combination of gameplay elements didn't really start being used until Pokémon, and didn't start being used especially effectively until Late GBC/early GBA. Not especially modern, but not especially old school by far.
(12-01-2009, 12:53 PM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]Fuck reto/modern, as long as the game's fun, I don't care.

this

Quite possibly the worst thing about the current gen though is the huge lack of local multiplayer. (Not counting the Wii's shovelware and/or party games, of course.)

The only 360 games I can think of that have local multiplayer are Gears, the Lego games, and Guitar Hero/Rock Band.
Modern Warfare 2 has a co-op mode, as do a lot of shooters nowadays.

VERSUS/local head-to-head, however, is practically nonexistant on new shooters.
The ONE game that should have had local multiplayer this gen is Burnout Paradise. The only way to even get close to Local is through a DLC package that you have to buy, and that only allows for pass-player-1's-controller-around type gameplay.
It's definitely bad for racing games. Me and a friend were really looking forward to playing Pure together. It's practically SSX Tricky on quadbikes.

It's single player with online. Same for the most recent Midnight Club, which was a gigantick kick in the teeth, considering MC 3 Dub even had co-op story mode!
Oh yeah, I forgot about Pure. I have that, and me and my brother wanted to play multiplayer.

also I didn't know MC3 had co-op story mode lol
(12-01-2009, 12:53 PM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]Fuck retro/modern, as long as the game's fun, I don't care.
This pretty much is everything I have to say about this topic.