Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
only because i suck at spriting...
Not sure if this belongs here or in requests, so sorry if I guessed wrong. I'm trying to find something that makes it easier for someone with no spriting skill to make platform sprites... think like Charas but for platformers, not RPGs. Having something like this would be easier for solo designers/coders who don't want to have to bug a spriter to make large sheets of something when the spriters obviously have better things they could be doing...
Thanked by:
you want sprite bases
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
where can I find that? There was a guy on GMC by the name Chumbucket who made a platform sprite outline, but I need to be able to create a female character, and he only had male. Can you refer me to a good sprite base?
Thanked by:
on my side don't know anything like that. but you should try to either request for one, or ask for permision to edit said outline.

>moving thread to requeststststs
Thanked by:
the outline i mentioned is totally royalty free and i can edit the hell out of it all i want. The problem is i CAN'T.... i have NO spriting skill whatsoever, if you people can actually fathom that.... which is why i'm looking for a solution like this.

and.. why would I have to request a sprite base? do they not already exist? If that's the case, why did Vipershark even suggest it? And you know no spriter is going to take a request like that seriously... it defeats the purpose of wanting something I can do on my own.
Thanked by:
you can't, just that you don't know you can and live denying yourself to even attemp. after all, you're just going to edit it, and also, how the fuck are you suposed to later make a full sprite if you cant simply add boobs to a male model.

you're not going anywhere thinking like that.
Thanked by:
well, it's that i've tried for the past 6 years and know from experience that i suck. My edits always come out all awkward... and editing a male model into a female is more than just adding boobs (though any boobs i ever try to draw or sprite come out look deformed anyway) but there's also differences in the legs, waistline, shoulders, and head shape that are just beyond my ability to do, especially when I just want to move on and work on the design aspect of my game.
Thanked by:
Oh god, this Chumbucket guy's sprites are everywhere, and I know for a fact that they are horrible.

What is this for? If you are at all serious about making a game, get yourself a spriter. If you want filler graphics, use ripped sprites.

Metaru's right, if you can't edit a male base into a female base, I don't see how you expect to edit ANYTHING and make it look good. Sorry, but that's the truth. Sad
[Image: ZRdfkWQ.jpg]
Thanked by:
use ripped sprites, save yourself the time.
Thanked by:
i have ripped sprites for fillers, but this game revolved around my own original character. staying with ripped sprites is not an option. i've been looking around to see if some of my old spriter friends from years ago are up to devoting time to a full project, but i just can't count on that.
Thanked by:
Look, this is what you do:
1. Use ripped sprites for EVERYTHING. UNTIL you finish at least one level.
2. Post that level in Game Development forums, or spriting forums, asking spriters to help. If the game engine is good and you know your stuff, people will help.
3. Work with your spriter/s. Show them your character designs, level designs, references, etc. Motivate them by showing them you're serious.
4. Keep doing 3 until you're done.

Yaaaaay. Now you know you don't need sprite bases.
Thanked by:
(06-11-2009, 03:48 AM)Mr. Buttbutt Wrote: Oh god, this Chumbucket guy's sprites are everywhere, and I know for a fact that they are horrible.
sorry for the bump but uh
I tried using chumbucket's sprites before
at first I thought they were good, but then I went back and looked at them
they're okay at best
without HEAVY edits, they'll get you nowhere
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
If you head over to the Game Maker forums, every chump and his little sister is trying to make a platformer with the help of his base. They all sucked. BAD.
Thanked by: