Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Okay People, a Little Lesson!
PEOPLE STOP TELLING OTHERS CUSTOMS ARE THE ONLY ACCEPTABLE FORM OF SPRITING

This was made because we can't seem to get it through our heads, even the people who do edit. If you feel I'm wrong on any point, say why.

1. Edits ARE acceptable when they are of the proper quality.

2. Edits CAN take as much effort as a custom.

3. Edits CAN be better than a custom.

4. Edits ARE an acceptable starting point in spriting.

5. Customs generally DO take more effort than an edit of equal quality.

6. Recolours are NOT OK, they lack any major kind of creativity.

7. Pixel-by-pixel copies are the equivalent of an effortless edit; regardless of how long it took.

Instead of bickering about edits and customs, encourage the person to try harder with what they feel comfortable, then progress them into customs if they didn't already choose that. If they are sub-par, edit or custom, then we need to tell them what they are doing wrong, which Shawn and 1up are doing excellently on. A matter of fact, we need more people critiquing like both of you, telling where the problems in the sprites are, instead of people just noting an obvious error that the creator should have already noticed.

But point five seems to contradict my arguement. Well point five has an exception. When a person becomes skilled enough in a certain style, scratching is simply easier to do than editing, meaning that it will actually take less effort. But if you were to start in a style you've never done before, the custom will take more work than the edit for obvious reasons.

There is no reason we should be combining customs and edits into similar scales, they should both have their own tiers that allow the sprite to be judged equally without responses that state your distaste in one type of spriting.
(05-22-2009, 11:18 AM)Robo-Trainer Drei Wrote: 2. Edits CAN take as much effort as a custom.

3. Edits CAN be better than a custom.

No. Can't make it much clearer than that.
Thanked by:
I agree with Drei, actually. I've seen some terrible customs.
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by:
(05-22-2009, 12:11 PM)Tonberry2k Wrote: I agree with Drei, actually. I've seen some terrible customs.

If it's subjective to who's making them, then yes. If it's someone who knows what they're doing, it's always custom > edits.
Thanked by:
Well, yes. But he didn't specify. In the right hands, an edit could be better than a custom, too. Xander did almost all edits, but people think he was a great spriter. Edits have gotten a bad rap lately, and I think it's pretty unwarranted.
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by:
(05-22-2009, 12:26 PM)Badassbill Wrote:
(05-22-2009, 12:11 PM)Tonberry2k Wrote: I agree with Drei, actually. I've seen some terrible customs.

If it's subjective to who's making them, then yes. If it's someone who knows what they're doing, it's always custom > edits.

I personnally like customs over altered ones even if its uglier than edited one because it show a personnality of the spriter and is something new and not boring like mario for instance it makes me sick to look at the custom mario's being presented here because most people base it off the original to where there almost identical.
Thanked by:
that post

makes my brain hurt so fucking hard
I dont like edits.
I have spoken
Thanked by:
I like edits as long as there well done and not shitly simple edits

and this needs to be stickied
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
Thanked by:
remove every post but the first post and THEN sticky and lock it
Thanked by:
(05-22-2009, 06:25 PM)Fuck Im Great Wrote: remove every post but the first post and THEN sticky and lock it

but what if some one has a suggestion for the list to bring up?

just sayin
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
Thanked by:
Fuck that there nothing else to be said thought i dont agree with 2 and 3
Thanked by:
that's because you're an idiot
(05-22-2009, 06:28 PM)King of Bad Posters Wrote: Fuck that there nothing else to be said thought i dont agree with 2 and 3

Aside from the most common excuses someone would say when there being over defensive and a reminder that splecies/fusions whatever there called are shit edits need to be brought up
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
Thanked by:
(05-22-2009, 11:18 AM)Robo-Trainer Drei Wrote: If they are sub-par, edit or custom, then we need to tell them what they are doing wrong, which Shawn and 1up are doing excellently on. A matter of fact, we need more people critiquing like both of you, telling where the problems in the sprites are, instead of people just noting an obvious error that the creator should have already noticed.

What are you talking about? What did I do?
Thanked by: