Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
HD/Hi-Rez Sprites?
I tried an attempt at a Hi-Rez sprite of Sonic.

C+C please, as it's my first time.

2x Resolution:
[Image: SonicHD.png]

1. I know it looks pillowed in a lot of places, specifically on the skin colored areas. This is because I was trying to more or less match the shading on the original, and it looks just as pillow-y.
2. The black lines are staying.

I know there are a few things wrong with it, but I'm not sure exactly what to do to fix them. Edits are welcome to show me what's wrong.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
I don't like the part where the arm meets the glove it feels wrong, try getting the dark colors of there to make it blend more.
Beside that the only other problem I can see is the pillow shading but that's about it.
~~LOVE~~
~~SOLINK~~PK~~C2B~~KAIKIMI~~
[Image: Boggle_inside_a_futuristic_pod_by_Mabelma.png]

Have some time, check out my tumblr blog.
Thanked by:
Hhm... Like if the gloves were .... Under fat in his arms or something...

I messed ut a little with is.... it is not VERY good, but i redone a LITTLE of everything. Like Removing SOME of the black outline.

Attached Files Image(s)

Sorry for my mistakes on english, people..... I am Brazilian, and to worsen that... i learnt english playing Final Fantasy and asking my mother.

EDIT: Now, 4 years have passed, and I`m an english teacher. Heart
Thanked by:
Hueshifting isn't the solution to everything, i'm afraid. The lines are still awkward and jaggy in places.

'Shark, focus on getting smoother curves for the spines, and using more (or darker) shades of wite/grey to get the detailing on the hand.

Oh, and retro sonic has black eyes, not green.
Thanked by:
I think a lot of smoothing is needed. Look at the Sonic HD sprites for guidance.
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
Thanked by:
That's because the Sonic HD sprites aren't sprites. They're vectors. I'm making a large sprite, not a vector.

edit- also grooveman, I'm not going for a retro sonic look. I'm going for more of a new sonic in old style type thing.
Thanked by:
In that case, make the torso more angular, less prominent, and smaller; with the difference made up by lengthening of the legs.
Thanked by:
I'm going to try to see if these will actually animate at all.
Current WIP:
[Image: sonicHD2.png]
The lineart looks a bit rough, but I'm not sure what to do.

EDITS ARE EXTREMELY ENCOURAGED.
stay within the current pallette though please
Thanked by:
It's kind of a JPG

Thanked by:
That looks incredibly bad, plus it's a JPEG, which is a serious newfag move.
Thanked by:
Those eyes... Who do you think he is Knuckles?

Line art needs major improvement, HD sprites or not.

Shading needs serious help.
Thanked by:
[Image: sonicvectorfy2.png]
I edited it for you.

[Image: 2014-11-19_1823.png]
Thanked by:
I don't know if I can actually help you out by editing your sprite, due to the huge amount of flaws it has, so I decided to make a mini-tutorial instead to show you how to do it RIGHT;

You see, when you outline it like that, it'll be full of flaws. Jagged edges, nasty black lines, and it won't come out the way you want it to at all.

So, instead of outlining a 2x sprite, this is what you do instead;

[Image: sonichddonerightsm5.png]

Step 1: Resize the sprite you're using to 2x size. Map out the palette, and then color over the entire sprite with a color that stands out opposite from the background. I used yellow because it helps me focus more on the edges because it doesn't blend in with the background at all.

Step 2: Once you resize your sprite, smoothen the edges. Use the original sprite as a reference if you need to. Remember that your sample sprite is a reference; don't rely on it throughout the whole process. Don't try to nail it shape-by-shape, because chances are it'll end up looking really ugly and awkward.

Step 3: Once you've smoothened your edges, start mapping out your colors. Again, use your reference. Don't stress over details just yet, since all you're doing is mapping out the sprite.

Step 4: Begin the shading process. Use only the colors you're provided. You have freedom at this point, so don't focus on nailing it down to the last pixel; add your own flavor to it if you want, and feel free to shade things a bit differently. Remember to be patient, or your sprite won't turn out the way you want it to at all.

You're pretty much done here.

Step 5: This is optional, but if you wanna add a "true" hi-res effect, throw in what I like to call "in-between" colors. Use these to AA your edges, to add that nice smoothing effect you see in most larger sprites. You can also use in-between colors to add additional outlines and details.

Of course, mine isn't perfection but I decided to make this to help a brotha out.

Hope this helps.
Thanked by:
ilu tyvon thanks that'll really help

also I don't know why that other one turned out as a jpg I'll fix it
[Image: sonicHD2.png]
there we go
yes those need work. badly.

oh and thank you too pik I'll use that as a guideline
only problem I see with yours though is that the eyes seem a little too small now
Thanked by:
(02-18-2009, 09:24 PM)Tyvonnosaurus Rex Wrote: Tutorial

Now I want to give it a go. Damn you, I'm gonna end up butchering Crono or Ghost Babel Snake now. Dammit.
Thanked by: