Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
A new twist on an old series
Video 
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am working on a Megaman X 'spin-off' I suppose you could call it. That is a take on what happens between the eras of Megaman X 6 and Megaman Zero series (originally Inafune had nothing to do with 6 and didn't consider it canon until it was retconned)

So I am working on a story for the in between investigating the mysteries of the series. However I've come up short on sprites, and am having difficulty with some of them. I'll be sharing some of the cooler sprites I've made (imo) and some of the horrid abominations that I have created as well. The latter of the two are more laughable than anything.

[Image: GatlingBot-1.png]
Gatling Bot:
used the Chimera ride armor from X3, put a head on it, and used a Gatling gun I found out of Makai Kingdom (ripped by crimson penguin)

Update:
I think I finally have a sprite set that can be considered 16-bit (and properly)
I restricted myself to using only 16 colors, and made sure to include the palette. I don't have a name for her yet, but I'd like an opinion on her sheet first.
[Image: RioSheet-1.png]
Update:!!! (Feb 14, 2009)

I finally have a boss for my game, done from scratch. This is incomplete, as I will be adding more to her, but for anyone who cares, I'd like to put the sheet up for commentary.
[Image: YggdraSheet.png]
Shimmer Jubaea: (palm tree)
She fires volleys of arc lasers, and a massive beam, similar to Captain Sword (thank you Cap'n Commando). All done through a 'complex' array that is her Photo-conductive leaves. All I need now is a mugshot, and to make the platform she will move around on.

That and a place I can get tilesets for MMX - MMX3 levels, specifically the Jungle levels for her.

Once I get the game together for the most part, I'll upload it for people to try out.
(btw, I took down that eyesore that was the original concept of Tundra Kodiak)

Update:
I replaced my character's main sheet
Thanked by:
well you can edit your post Smile
riping from thomas tte and friends.
current sheets on tsr Big Grin6Big Grin
[Image: 96054397.gif]
[Image: 57084332.gif]
[Image: banner.png]
Thanked by:
You need to change those things to .pngs! Jpegs make it look kinda... bad. But if it was PNG it would be so much awesomer! Wink
Pngs have the highest quality plus transparency with the lowest amount of space used! (And doesn't have the 256 color limit like Gifs. Tongue)
Hm... until I figure out something to put here...

Avatar - drawn by Josh_R691 of Spriter's Resource
edited/animated by AgentLym of Spriter's Resource and deviantART
Thanked by:
Yeah *.JPG images ruing the quality like crazy.

And as for the Gatling Bot:

1) It's very easy to tell that you just "zombie'd" the head of one of the enemies from X1~3 (I'm not sure.. but I think it held a pickax?) onto one of the ride armors from X1~3. At first I thought one of those enemies was supposed to be driving it. :/

2) The pallet for the head doesn't seem to match the one for the rest of the body. The head has a black outline while the body had a lighter one, which is probably one of the main reasons that the head looks so much out of place.

3) I would suggest putting a little more space between your sprites. This isn't that important, but it looks almost like they've been run into each other.

And the Ice-Bear dude is so craptastic that I'm not even going to bother commenting on it, but I will say that it's not a good idea to be putting MMX1~3 style things and MMX4~6 style things into the same game/animation/whatever. It usually makes things look pretty awkward.
Thanked by:
(02-04-2009, 05:29 PM)GadgetTR Wrote: Yeah *.JPG images ruing the quality like crazy.

And the Ice-Bear dude is so craptastic that I'm not even going to bother commenting on it, but I will say that it's not a good idea to be putting MMX1~3 style things and MMX4~6 style things into the same game/animation/whatever. It usually makes things look pretty awkward.

oh believe me when I say it, I'm ashamed of that abomination. However I'm using it as an example. The whole, "kinda Zangief looking" idea

and you nailed it with the head of the gatling bot. From the miner/pickax lobbing foes from Flame Mammoth's stage

Oh, and something along the way uploading it, turned it into .JPEG
normally I use BMP, or PNG
Thanked by:
Yeah, Photobucket hates BMP files, so it converts it into a JPG. Save it as a PNG and upload it, it has better quality, as well as the fact that it takes less space than BMP.
Thanked by:
Grr, I can't seem to make anything I like with this character for now. I made a different attempt and it came out rather disturbing as well.. in the meantime I think I'll stick to smaller and simpler sprites. Thanks for the advice about filetype.
Thanked by:
Sad 
It seems that my thread has died...
Thanked by:
Well I gotta say that your main character and the first boss looks pretty awesome Smile
Thanked by:
(02-16-2009, 09:36 AM)rukifellth Wrote: Well I gotta say that your main character and the first boss looks pretty awesome Smile

thank you!

I also said to hell with FINDing tilesets, I started making my own.
I googled, searched through almost every site. BGHQ has full levels, but nothing split into layers, nor in any tileset format.
Thanked by:
Yeah, I've always found searching for Megaman tilesets to be a real pain.

I like the main character sprites. Even though I can tell that it's an edit of Megaman Zero, it's one of the better edits out there, IMO (though I guess that's not saying much, as I've seen some pretty terrible ones before). The boss looks good, but the outline on it seems funny. It's completely misshaped around the hair/leaves (not to mention that the hair/leaves' shading could use some work) and the blackness of the outline seems to stand out inconsistently with the main character sprites.

All in all, I'd say I like the direction this is heading.
Thanked by:
(02-16-2009, 07:50 PM)GadgetTR Wrote: Yeah, I've always found searching for Megaman tilesets to be a real pain.

I like the main character sprites. Even though I can tell that it's an edit of Megaman Zero, it's one of the better edits out there, IMO (though I guess that's not saying much, as I've seen some pretty terrible ones before). The boss looks good, but the outline on it seems funny. It's completely misshaped around the hair/leaves (not to mention that the hair/leaves' shading could use some work) and the blackness of the outline seems to stand out inconsistently with the main character sprites.

All in all, I'd say I like the direction this is heading.

Funny thing is, it's not a just a recolor. I only used the boots and a hand or two. Otherwise, her head, torso, and gun are from scratch. Plus, look for the update, she even has a mugshot.

Any suggestions on how to fix/change the outline issue?
Thanked by: