Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Cosmic Bug .dat files.
Yeah, intrested in ripping Cosmic Bugs backgrounds and enemies. Seems to be conected to a .bbk file but it's probably for saying what sprite goes where.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/17e5hxzh6wvzkq9/art.zip?dl=0

Thanked by:
Well the graphics aren't compressed, which is good, but I can't find any metadata pertaining to dimensions or even offsets and sizes. It's just heaps of raw data. Maybe the .bbk file you mentioned would be useful, could you upload it?
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
(03-04-2016, 07:54 PM)puggsoy Wrote: Well the graphics aren't compressed, which is good, but I can't find any metadata pertaining to dimensions or even offsets and sizes. It's just heaps of raw data. Maybe the .bbk file you mentioned would be useful, could you upload it?
Sure thing.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y5fb1gh4aqgo7f6/BBK.zip?dl=0

I also includer art8.dat because it also had a .bbk and I honeslty have no idea what's in it.

Thanked by: puggsoy
Yeah these .bbk files are definitely important. Not only do they contain names, offsets, sizes, and dimensions (along with other various info that isn't as useful), but the also house the palettes for indexed images.

The only annoyance is that they're in XML format, which is generally less convenient to handle than binary data. Nevertheless I'm sure I should be able to whip something up.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by: OS-PRIME
Here ya go!

Code:
Usage: CosmicBugExt inFile outDir
    inFile: The corresponding .bbk file of the file to extract. Can alternatively be a folder containing multiple of these
    outDir: The folder to save the extracted files to

Was pretty interesting to make, gave me a good opportunity to work with XML files.

It worked with both the files you sent me, should hopefully work with any others. You target the .bbk files (or the folder containing them), but the .dat files must be in the same folder. Tell me if you have any issues!
Thanked by: OS-PRIME
(03-05-2016, 04:28 AM)puggsoy Wrote: Here ya go!

Code:
   inFile: The corresponding .bbk file of the file to extract. Can alternatively be a folder containing multiple of these

Was pretty interesting to make, gave me a good opportunity to work with XML files.

It worked with both the files you sent me, should hopefully work with any others. You target the .bbk files (or the folder containing them), but the .dat files must be in the same folder. Tell me if you have any issues!
I don't really understand how to use the code you gave me. Is it some sort of BMS script? Or is it for something else.

Thanked by:
(03-05-2016, 10:29 AM)OS-PRIME Wrote:

Code:

I don't really understand how to use the code you gave me. Is it some sort of BMS script? Or is it for something else.

He gave you an application and how to use it.
[Image: HcSQAM1.gif]
Thanked by:
(03-05-2016, 10:29 AM)OS-PRIME Wrote:

Code:

-Open up the command line (cmd)
- Make sure the .bbk and .art file is in the same folder
- Drag the exe to the cmd window, press space
- Drag the .bbk to cmd and space again
- Now make a new folder to output the files and drag that folder into cmd and press enter. Should get the PNG files now.
Thanked by:
Oh shit. I'm an idiot for not noticing there was an application. Sorry Ouch!
Works like a charm. I'll be uploading the backgrounds soon. Thanks a bunch!

Thanked by:
Little update. Water Bugs is compatible with your program. Though it kinda poops out when it trys to extract assets from water_art.dat.
Also, inside the Water Bugs files, found something really, REALLY intresting.

Thanked by: puggsoy
Now to clarify about my amazing discovery.
Despite the fact that art.dat was 9MB, only 3MB of resources were extracted.
This is where .eco files come in.
.eco files are Encrypto! files, a propitary encrypter used by the people who made the game (Retro64)
How do I know this? Because Water Bugs had the encrypto.exe file inside it's animations folder.
By experimenting with it, Encrypto! converts .XML files into .eco files, which allow the game to load data in the encrypted art.dat file. The best part is that there are not only encrypted and decrypted versions of waterlevel1.XML but a batch file actually gives the encryption key for decrypting it!
We're *this* close to decoding Water/Cosmic Bugs.

Thanked by:
(03-05-2016, 05:34 PM)OS-PRIME Wrote: Now to clarify about my amazing discovery.
Despite the fact that art.dat was 9MB, only 3MB of resources were extracted.
This is where .eco files come in.
.eco files are Encrypto! files, a propitary encrypter used by the people who made the game (Retro64)
How do I know this? Because Water Bugs had the encrypto.exe file inside it's animations folder.
By experimenting with it, Encrypto! converts .XML files into .eco files, which allow the game to load data in the encrypted art.dat file. The best part is that there are not only encrypted and decrypted versions of waterlevel1.XML but a batch file actually gives the encryption key for decrypting it!
We're *this* close to decoding Water/Cosmic Bugs.

I know it has been several years, but it would be of great value and interest to me to know more about Encrypto! and the possibility of DECRYPTING .eco files given a game's encryption key.
I am currently modding Spongebob Squarepants: Obstacle Odyssey, made also by Retro64 and it also uses .eco files. It would be very helpful to me to be able to turn those .eco files back into XML.
Thanked by: