Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Earthworm Jim 2 (DOS)
Music 
Hello, for some time, I have been trying to rip the sound effect's from the DOS version of Earthworm Jim 2, can anyone help me?
Here is a link to the file that has the data: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxlR3BW...sp=sharing
Thanked by:
you know, I was wondering about ripping those too, and also those from the other earthworm jim games on pc.
"coins detected in pocket."
-evil oddo, berzerk, arcade version, attract mode, 1980
Thanked by:
Okay, here's what I found by looking in a hex editor and importing it into Audacity:
The files for both EWJ1.DAT and EWJ2.DAT begin with the following text:
(series of random numbers)..This is a MGPA-file. Copyright 1995 Morten Grouleff

Sadly, I've searched online for an MGPA archive and haven't found anything on it...

All the sound files are WAV files, which are all 8-bit and mono, and many sampled at 22050hz. A file table also exists at the end which lists the name of every file.

I've tried ripping it with VGMToolBox to no avail, and no BMS script exists.  Sad

Can anyone try to make a BMS script?
Thanked by:
I made some progress on the sounds. I simply searched for the text-string "RIFF" as that is the beggining of a *.wav header. I took the block of data before the first one, and removed it:

Then, I wrapped and imported it into audacity as raw data with the above settings, and got two sound effects which I've dropped here:
http://www.filedropper.com/ewj2somesamples

This is what I like to call segmented sound ripping, as you remove the crap before and then rip each part from the "unknown file" and export individual *.wavs. While this may be a huge pain, this is all we have as of now, as I'm a terrible QuickBMS Script writer. I'm uncertain if those sound effects are distorted or not, but we can at least identify it. Hope this helps somewhat!
~Anex
Thanked by:
Code:
findloc OFFSET string "RIFF"
do
   goto OFFSET
   get DUMMY long
   findloc NEXT_OFFSET string "RIFF" 0 ""
   if NEXT_OFFSET == ""
       get SIZE asize
   else
       math SIZE = NEXT_OFFSET
   endif
   math SIZE -= OFFSET
   log "" OFFSET SIZE
   math OFFSET = NEXT_OFFSET
while NEXT_OFFSET != ""

This script is from the xentax forum (IIRC) and is useful for extracting multiple files the way that was done by Anex. It dumps a bunch of files all with a RIFF header. Then you can use the audacity method to make them play as they don't just with the script. Unfortunately this is as far as my knowledge extends.
Thanked by:
(03-05-2016, 09:21 AM)Anex Wrote: I made some progress on the sounds. I simply searched for the text-string "RIFF" as that is the beggining of a *.wav header. I took the block of data before the first one, and removed it:

Then, I wrapped and imported it into audacity as raw data with the above settings, and got two sound effects which I've dropped here:

This is what I like to call segmented sound ripping, as you remove the crap before and then rip each part from the "unknown file" and export individual *.wavs. While this may be a huge pain, this is all we have as of now, as I'm a terrible QuickBMS Script writer. I'm uncertain if those sound effects are distorted or not, but we can at least identify it. Hope this helps somewhat!
~Anex
These sound distorted. You probably set it to unsigned, not signed.

As well as this, I found something else: there seems to be compression on the files: there is some random static noise playing over part of each file. This is gonna be hard to rip...
Thanked by:
(03-05-2016, 03:12 PM)birdmanager6 Wrote:
(03-05-2016, 09:21 AM)Anex Wrote: I made some progress on the sounds. I simply searched for the text-string "RIFF" as that is the beggining of a *.wav header. I took the block of data before the first one, and removed it:

~Anex

As well as this, I found something else: there seems to be compression on the files: there is some random static noise playing over part of each file. This is gonna be hard to rip...

Firstly, no compression is found on the *.DAT, as the hex-strings are literally written out in ANSI text, and I've used the BMS script shown above to extract these wav's. Here's the link:
https://mega.nz/#!l81FnLSK!tBrIK3se1GoaI...IhnNGVWoQ8

Sadly, until someone else who knows how to script can write a better one, and or a sample converter, you will have to manually wrap each one with raw data into Audacity using these settings:

Encoding: Unsigned 8-bit PCM
Byte order: Little-endian
Channels: 1-channel (Mono)
Start offset: 0
Sample-Rate: 22050 Hz

Any issues, please feel free to reply, and sorry for the late answer!
~Anex
Thanked by:
(04-23-2016, 05:29 PM)Anex Wrote:
(03-05-2016, 03:12 PM)birdmanager6 Wrote:

~Anex

Firstly, no compression is found on the *.DAT, as the hex-strings are literally written out in ANSI text, and I've used the BMS script shown above to extract these wav's. Here's the link:
https://mega.nz/#!l81FnLSK!tBrIK3se1GoaI...IhnNGVWoQ8

Sadly, until someone else who knows how to script can write a better one, and or a sample converter, you will have to manually wrap each one with raw data into Audacity using these settings:

Encoding: Unsigned 8-bit PCM
Byte order: Little-endian
Channels: 1-channel (Mono)
Start offset: 0
Sample-Rate: 22050 Hz

Any issues, please feel free to reply, and sorry for the late answer!
~Anex
Still has a major issue: the entire file is contaminated by random static and clipping overriding the sample data, and some files have more than one clip in them.
Thanked by: