Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Nuga-Cel PS2 .uni file
Hey guys,

I've been looking to re-explore a game I previously ripped on the PS2 called Nuga-cel. It's a weird game about various outfits and stuff, so loads of sprites to rip...

The graphics are stored in what I believe is a common format, of ".uni" - in a folder called Union. It has all of the sprites in it, with what looks like headers of "CO2R".

It's a pretty sizable file, so sorry about that... The graphics are 4bpp, tiled palette with 4 bytes pet color.

Here you go: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26973982/dot.uni

[Image: zKYnEKu.png]
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by:
Could you give a screenshot of you using TiledGGD (or whatever program) to view the graphics? It'd be handy to have some offsets for the image and palette as a starting point.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
[Image: 86ce66b84c.png]
We could run away
When there's no Mondays

Thanked by: puggsoy
Doesn't look terribly difficult to extract, I'm pretty sure I've found the dimensions. One issue is that there aren't any file names, so I'd have to give them something like their offsets. They are grouped together though, which should let me put them in folders.

Another thing is that I'm not sure if there's any indication of how many images there are in each group. I may just have to try auto-detect when I've reached the last one. Nevermind, pretty sure I've found it.

I'll start work on a thing for it right now, hopefully finish it up tomorrow.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
You're a jewel, Puggs Heart
We could run away
When there's no Mondays

That he is. Wink
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
ilu guys Heart

It's mostly working, I really need to sleep but tomorrow I'll smooth out some wrinkles and make it not crash halfway through Smile

[Image: EeFuYZN.png]
Thanked by: Skyla Doragono, Dazz
Looks fantastic so far though! I look forward to working on these!!
We could run away
When there's no Mondays

Thanked by:
NugaCelExtr

Code:
Usage: NugaCelExtr inFile [-a]
   inFile: The .uni file to extract
   [-a]: Optional alpha flag, include to DISABLE alpha

You can also drag the .uni file onto the executable. I included the optional -a for no real reason, just thought it might be useful for something, I dunno.

Tell me if anything goes wrong. Warning, the dot.uni file (not sure if there are any others) has over 900 groups, and most groups seem to have 9 images. That's over 8,100 images, so it will take a while to extract, but as I said they get extracted in groups so that should help at least somewhat with managing them.
Thanked by: Dazz
Excellent stuff man! It doesn't work with some of the other uni files, as I assume they store data in a different fashion. However I've already got a method of extracting those in batch so that isn't much of a concern as I can work to make the CG into usable sheets.

Thanks a bunch dude! I'll get to work on sprite sheets asap!!
We could run away
When there's no Mondays

Got an interesting turn of events for you here Puggsoy. They also released the game on PSP, but with gz compression on each character's file within the .uni container. It looks like standard gzip compression, but I'm not sure if you can handle that within your application. If you can't, would it be possible to dump all of the gzip'd files, then I can batch decompress them, and then create a converted for the resulting .co2 files which are exactly the same as they were in the PS2 version?

The PSP release has some additional characters not found in the PS2 release, so it'd be awesome to rip those too. However they also have some CG that is also compressed...

The files are, unsurprising, significantly smaller this time around so here is the dot_gz.uni file, and also cg_stand_gz.uni:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2697...dot_gz.uni
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2697...and_gz.uni
We could run away
When there's no Mondays

Never used it before, but I just tested GZ decompression and it works great. The only issue I can see is the difficulty in finding the file offsets; they don't have a unique header to look for other than 0x1F8B, which is more than likely to come up in the compressed data itself. However in 08_cg_stand_gz.uni, they all seem to be the same size and next to each other. In 10_dot_gz.uni they're also next to each other, but have different sizes. Annoyingly, the gz format doesn't seem to store the size, but maybe I can find a hacky way to do it.

They do have file names, which is kinda nice. It'll let me name the folders more "correctly", I guess. Also, the CG files are a different format (ART2), but with luck that shouldn't be terribly hard to figure out.

I do have my last exam coming up on Saturday, which I should probably spend my time studying for. After that I'll get to work on this though.
Thanked by:
Sounds excellent, thanks very much! I look forward to seeing what you can achieve. It's probably a good thing nothing is worked out before the weekend, since I think we're looking at one of the biggest updates ever to the site, and the biggest game section on the site too... I'd hate to increase that by a couple hundred more as a result of this port being opened up as well...
We could run away
When there's no Mondays

[Image: 7WvT5nh.png]

Got 10_dot_gz.uni working. Well, I didn't bother to test all of it since there are HEAPS of files, but it went through more than 550 of them without a hitch so it should work for all of them.

I'll get to work on the other file tomorrow.
Thanked by:
Excellent! Any chance I could get the executable so I can start working on sheeting these ones up? Big Grin
We could run away
When there's no Mondays

Thanked by: