Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Link's Awakening: Minish Cap Style
Neutral 
Link's Awakening Map Remake

(Minish Awakening?)

This is a project to remake the whole map of link's awakening using the GBA game Zelda: The Minish Cap graphics

28/03/16
Progress Update: I decided to upload some of the progress from a few weeks ago the most notable one being an updated version of the South of the Village, there will be a few more updates to keep adding some updated areas.
Tomorrow i'll be uploading another two updated areas: Pothole Maze and Signpost Maze.

Here's the updated South of the Village Credits to Onyligtho for the new sprites for the dungeon entrance.
[Image: BANXrhr.png]

14/03/16
Progress Update: I am happy to announce that today i was shown a tail cave map done in a very clever way along with the ingame map of the dungeon as well as the entrance. These things are very important as i am working on adding new sprites and tiles for the dungeon entrances.

I want to use this oportunity to add new detail to the areas using the fields tileset wich is pretty much the one present in almost half of the current areas done.

On other part Gogoponga swamp's layout is completely done and half of the detailing is also finished i expect to update it along with the new detailing coming for the existing areas.

12/03/16
Progress Update: While im still working on Gogoponga Swamp butin the meantime here's the whole area for Toronbo Shores
[Image: 7nqYORs.png]
Gogoponga Swamp will be uploaded as soon as i finish it as it's still got quite a few things i want to fix and adjust along with the updated full map and the swamp

10/03/16
Progress Update: After another month of not doing anything i came back to try yet again to work on a new are, i've been following Spriting Brad's try at remaking ALttP's Map and it is certainly looking awesome after looking at it for a few weeks and several tries at making a tileset for the new area i just decided to use some of the palettes that he's using and drawing some inspiration of what he does to work on the new area.

I must thank spriting brad for all the amazing sprites he's been sharing with the community of ZFGC as he has been the one helping people out with various sprites requests and also i want to thank ZFGC for their palm tree sprite.
I will show the sprites that i'm talking about around next week when i bring a new update.

Another thing that i want to work on soon is actually animating a few sprites on the map and put them here as GIFs

That's it for today as i must get to work for a few hours more on modifying the beach tileset i'll be using and a few other tiles.

Progress Update 2: It's 1 am and i managed to squeeze in the last 4 hours the entire new area four new screens for the swamp tomorrow i'll be adding the finishing details for the swamp and it will be uploaded along with the new area 

12/02/16
Progress Update: I'm continuing the work on Gogoponga Swamp now on the actual swampy side for the past two days i've been ripping tiles and modifying the ones i needed to get a tileset big enough to get some work done on the area here's a piece of what Gogoponga Swamp will look like soon enough once i'm done working on the layout of the entire area.
[Image: KVJDnMU.png]

Also i'll come back to work on the animation this weekend after i'm done with the swamp.
[Image: 5fXlfm1.png]
For now it covers up to link receiving the shield but now i have to add the new marin in along with her animations when talking and get link to walk out of the door.

Progress
Overworld: 54.68%-140/256
Interiors: 88.9%-8/9

Overworld:
Houses:
Mini-Dungeons:
Dungeons: (currently no plans to bring the sidescrolling tiles)
General: any screen that might repeat itself over many places

Full Map View

New Koholit v1.8.0
Changelog:
+Added a whole new area: Animal Village
+Added a whole new area: The East of the Bay
+Added 4 new screens for Gogoponga Swamp
+Started to work on Kanalet Castle
*Reworked the detail on the Mysterious Woods
+Added extra detailing to the mysterious Woods
+Added missing grass patches
*Changed the building for the library on Mabe Village
*Minor layout Changes
*Minor spriting fixes
+Added Missing sprites

Individual Area Images

Houses 

Any house where an NPC lives or just any house the player can enter

Menus

Coming Soon:

Older Versions
Credits:
Original Map Images from: Zelda Wiki
Custom Item Sprites by: Miles07
Custom Telephone Booth Sprite by: aconfusedturtle
Custom Marin Sprites by: TinSil (DeviantArt page not found)
Custom Bow Wow Sprites by: SpritingBrad
Custom Trunk Entrance Tiles by: SpritingBrad
Custom Desert Tileset by: SpritingBrad
Custom Palm Tree Sprites found at: ZFGC
Custom Tail Cave Sprites by: Onyligtho

Any comments are appreciated even if it's just to say hi it keeps me motivated
I love these!
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by:
These are pretty good.
Doofenshmirtz: This is a little bit awkward but have you seen my escape jet keys? (Perry nods) What, you have? Well that's great! So where are they? (Perry looks away) You won't tell me? Is this because you don't speak or are you just being a jerk?
~Phineas and Ferb, "One Good Scare Ought to Do It!" (2008)
Thanked by:
Neat-o! You should totally bring this to life in a Zelda Classic project! It'd be sick!
Thanked by:
(04-06-2015, 06:12 PM)DragonDePlatino Wrote: Neat-o! You should totally bring this to life in a Zelda Classic project! It'd be sick!

I really tried using zelda classic before but i just didn't get how to use it Ouch! then tried solarus. it was okay at some point where i had to bring the link sprites and started getting crashes, then tried some others and decited to leave it at just doing the art :/

I'm still keeping the solarus files anyways just i case i feel like trying again
Thanked by:
oh dang, this is pretty sweet. i actually had this idea and i had it set in motion last year. unfortunately, i didnt get far. its still great to see that someone else had the same idea as me and got more work done! Ouch!

my only gripe is that in koholit prarie, the trees(bushes?) are in a grid. try making it so that they overlap, sorta like the original one.

also, try making/adding some flower tiles and add them to the grass! it'd be pretty cool for the grass to have nice little details like that.
[Image: XeE6VeC.gif]
Thanked by:
wow, that is fucking awesome!
Thanked by:
(04-06-2015, 06:27 PM)recme Wrote: oh dang, this is pretty sweet. i actually had this idea and i had it set in motion last year. unfortunately, i didnt get far. its still great to see that someone else had the same idea as me and got more work done! Ouch!

my only gripe is that in koholit prarie, the trees(bushes?) are in a grid. try making it so that they overlap, sorta like the original one.

also, try making/adding some flower tiles and add them to the grass! it'd be pretty cool for the grass to have nice little details like that.

I was actually thinking that trough but it's a big edit on the map and it is actually a bit complicated and i might have to fill most spaces using rocks

There's an example here
[Image: APg1QnR.png][Image: czetYiz.png] [Image: z8mWpEg.png] Damn trees are really picky who they want to hang out with

The minish trees don't actually stay centered so you kinda have to work around that, the GBC trees stay perfectly centered and in some cases they block completely like a square (i see if i can get an image of that) and using the minish trees i would have to use more trees to cover those holes. :/

I'll see if i can make them less "grid" like

BTW added the "Signpost Maze" it was a challenge to work in there i had to draw out the maze then think it trough for a few hours until i got trough it and the maze follows the order without any problems

EDIT: was trying to do it and suddenly realized why i didn't do it in the first place Very Sad the sides leave me with this 8x8 lines and on the area i did it it looked really odd trying to cover it up
Thanked by: recme
[Image: 6483.png]

there is an area above links house that breaks it up a bit. its not exactly halfway, but i bet you can try to break it up a bit!
[Image: XeE6VeC.gif]
Thanked by:
Did some modifications to the tree as you said and i actually found a few tiles that i didn't have before 

Here's the whole map and i modified the trees on the koholit praire
might be noticeable that i was adding some small details to the koholit praire but it's not done yet
Thanked by:
Very good, but what would you say about making a few custom parts in certain parts of the map? I'm not requesting anything major, but maybe try giving the phone booth trees an indication that they're actually phone booths for starters.The original game had a phone on top to show the player what it is.
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by:
(04-09-2015, 07:30 AM)E-Man Wrote: Very good, but what would you say about making a few custom parts in certain parts of the map? I'm not requesting anything major, but maybe try giving the phone booth trees an indication that they're actually phone booths for starters.The original game had a phone on top to show the player what it is.

I had in mind doing some custom sprites for some areas such as every dungeon or the phone boots and even a custom cave but i'd like to finish the current areas before i get into more trouble Unsure 

It's already quite tedious to add all the detail and i have yet to do it on at least 20 screens plus i need to modifiy the color palettes on some tiles i've used on Koholit Praire

BTW i found these when i was sorting my old files
[Image: DHpiUjv.png]    [Image: xHu7sHZ.png]

It was an edit to the minish GUI for Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
might do one for link's awakening
*sprites by ChaosMile07 i think

EDIT:
After an hour working on the old screen porting it from paint.net to Photoshop i finished it
[Image: VwS1ngW.png]
As photoshop allows for many groups and layers i made group for everything wich means i can turn on/off any item or use the red frame in any other item and even swap the seeds, change seasons, north/south for the magnetic gloves, etc.
(forgot to put in the mysterious flute)

With this i can swap the items rename a few things and get the UI ready for link's awakening
*more sprites from ChaosMiles 07

EDIT2:
I've been really busy lately and only have a couple hours to add more detail to the current screens and tbh i'm taking longer than i'd like to

on the other side i'm editing the menus for link's awakening too and checking if i can use the map resources from the minish cap for the link's awakening map

i'm ripping some of the tiles i need for the forest in between work sessions and getting some new tiles for the existing areas

another thing i've been working on are some recolours of the things i'm using on the koholit praire (the witch's hut and the trees close to it) as it might be noticeable the trees don't belong in there, they're actually from the royal graveyard(?) i only changed the colours of the base but the colours of the whole tree remain the same so i'm working on a fix for that  

I'll continue to work on the detail through the week and will upload the progress once it's finished one by one finishing the areas until they're all done
Thanked by: Miles07
I decided to get back to work on this project every once in a while when i have enough time to do so main post updates will still be a thing but less often because of life reasons, also i was doing several replays trough minish cap to get some ideas for the parts in wich i'm currently working

I won't let this project die just because i'm busy

An update is coming this sunday not sure how big, but i'll work on this as much as i can until then

EDIT: i just noticed i didn't update the main post images and some screens are really old versions of them not sure why

EDIT2: i wanted to show this just to put in perspective how much i have to work on these screens to consider them good enough
[Image: AfaWYyo.png]
Thanked by: