Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
The VG Resource Advent Calendar
NOTICE: Alrighty, kiddies! This project is over! No more sprites are to be accepted for it! I feel sorry for you if you missed your chance to submit, but that's the breaks. PLease join us for next year as I host another VG Resource advent calendar! See you later!

It's getting close to Christmas, so I thought of a try fun project to do. I am putting it in the Spriting and Pixel Art section for now, but once it get approved, could you put it into the Spriting Project section if you think it qualifies.

Anyway, the gist of this project is to try to make a sprite for each of the 25 days until Christmas. Even though you could use stuff from other games (i.e. Santa Link, Bowser as a Christmas elf), I think it would be best to use themes and characters from the VG Resource. Be creative and be sure to spread some Christmas cheer!

Even though it's still November, I decided to start the project off with this festive sprite with three levels of AA (take your pick).

[Image: ChristmasGorsexp_zps62c27978.png?t=1385759828]

UPDATE: Due to a marvelous suggestion by Sketchasaurus, I decided to list all the sprites for each day in this topic. That way, everyone would keep better track of which days are covered or not.

(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Well, looks like nobody's going to supply the next image for the advent calendar. Looks like I'm taking this one guys!

[Image: ChristmasDazz_zps63465c73.png?t=1386023015]

For being such a great admin, I present Dazz with this unrealistically large glass of egg nog! I'm sorry about the holly leaf looking a little like rubbish, though.

I'll give it some anti-alisaing later.
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

Thanked by: psychospacecow, Paladin, Gors
Ha, thanks man, it's pretty awesome! Big Grin

(Although, just so you know, my hair is a little longer than that Tongue)
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by: E-Man
I'm flattered that you think that way about the sprites I created, Dazz! I'll be sure to address that about your hair when I add the AA.

By the way, I'm a little antsy right now because I need to make sure that one sprite is posted for each day over a period of 25 days. Since I'm the only one currently doing this, that means I have to work hard to churn out each sprite. Could you guys (as in anyone on the site in general) do me huge favor and contribute to this project?

In the meantime, though, I created this sprite of everyone's favorite Secret Santa for the third day of this advent calendar.

[Image: ChristmasPrevious_zps9b50aa9e.png?t=1386111170]

Thanked by: Paladin, Previous
[Image: fvRbfq3.png]

[Image: rUAaQZU.png]
It turned out pretty bad...
[Image: sig.gif]
Well! I'm flattered that you made that! It definitely saves me the trouble of making a sprite for this day of the ad end calendar! Thank you!

…. So, I'm guessing you did the guy who is in my avatar then? To be honest, that guy isn't E-Man. You see, he is a character created by a friend of mine from Deviant Art. As part of an art trade of sorts, I drew his character. I ended up liking my variation of the character so much that I used him for my avatar.

….. Welp! Guess I better consider posting updated references of E-Man soon enough. On the bright side, though, he looks good as the Ghost of Christmas Future.

Thanked by: Paladin
(12-03-2013, 05:56 PM)E-Man Wrote: [Image: ChristmasPrevious_zps9b50aa9e.png?t=1386111170]

Let me thank you by providing a sprite for today
[Image: IY2dIRh.png]
This work of art is titled "some things never change" or "year after year". The latter abbreviates to "yay" so I guess it rather is the former?
It's the same Christmas tragedy that happens year after year, Previous. You request to your grandma not to make you a cheesy sweater anymore, yet she still keeps sending you one anyway and expects you to wear it. Well done for capturing it with this sprite.

Anyway, there's still plenty of days to cover for this advent calendar, so feel free to tell your friends to contribute! Currently, I already have a sprite made in case I can't get any new entries for tomorrow. I don't mind posting it, but I would rather save to avoid scrambling to make another sprite for the project.

Thanked by:
um I haven't finished a sprite in forever so IDK what I'm doing
it's 4AM here so I'm posting it now

[Image: X7FrXzx.png]

Merry TSR/VGRmas etc. etc.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Sweet Christmas! Now this project is really jumping! I was concerned that I'm going to have to do most of the sprites by myself, but seeing how it's been three days since I posted a sprite, I'm actually pleasantly surprised!

Nice work on this sprite, Mighty! I'm glad you tend to have my back!

Thanked by:
Right then, nobody posted their entry for this day, so I guess it's up to me to post another sprite.

[Image: ChristmasLemon_zpsf9978ec8.png?t=1386459307]

This time, we have the (not so) Demon Lemon.

Thanked by: Demonlemon, Paladin
I feel all warm and fuzzy inside Heart
Welp! So much for other people daily contributing to this project…

Aw well! I went ahead and created the sprite for this day. Considering how much she's done for me, this is the least I could do for Starsock64.

[Image: ChristmasStarsock_zpse4e688a8.png?t=1386543182]

I hope you like it, friend!

Thanked by: StarSock64
What constitutes a sprite? I'd be willing to help if you give me some names.
[Image: k0OsVum.png][Image: NXpkf1V.gif][Image: psychicspacecow.png]
Thanked by:
Just make a single holiday themed sprite for a character on the VG Resource and you're good.

Take a look at this thread if you need to know who you can make a sprite of.
http://www.vg-resource.com/showthread.php?tid=22288

Thanked by: