Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Super Mario Eclipse
[Image: mPe9Aic.png]

The eclipse stars, a source of mythical powers, have been unleashed upon the world. As a result, the entire Mushroom Kingdom has been shrouded in the shadows of an everlasting eclipse. It is up to Mario to collect these stars, and save everyone from an eternal twilight.

[Image: hf_logo_signature_black.svg]
Thanked by: Phaze, Tom Turkey
I think you left your game tapes too close to a magnet!

Thanked by: Tom Turkey
(11-26-2013, 10:21 PM)Sengir Wrote: It looks neat I guess, but there doesn't seem to be anything make want to play it. It looks like some standard Mario gameplay. I think you should innovate past the lighting; it could shape up to be a lot nicer than it is now.

Unfortunately, the game is complete, so it doesn't seem like it's going to change now. But the RPG elements and the way power-ups work is pretty cool, as well as the color puzzles but the puzzles are everywhere so it'll probably get annoying quick, just like the weird lighting colors everywhere. It's still one of Hello's better games anyway though.
Respect and Care
Love for People
Faith in Christ
Thanked by: Tom Turkey
The weird coloring makes me not want to play this. It doesn't add to the gameplay and looks ugly and annoying. It's comparable to the Superman 64 blur. It's distracting.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Judging by your history of games on this forum, Hello, you seem to only rely on gimmicks like this one to make your games stand out. Besides, Mario isn't about shooting people or LSD effects (although some people might question that due to all the Mushrooms Mario eats).

Even though this game is already finished, let me give you some advice. Before you finalize a game with a certain gimmick to it, run it by us first because most of the members on this web site have experience with creating appealing games and artwork. For instance, even though the LSD effect you have is good in some situations, being forced to play through the entire game with that going on will turn a lot of people off. For a better example on how to use this effect properly, try taking some inspiration from Twilight Princess. Almost every area in the game is covered in twilight, but once you accomplish a certain task (i.e. killing Shadow Bugs), the twilight dissipates. You could play through some of each world with that triply effect going on, but once you reach a certain point, the effect will go away and you have to play the rest of the world without it going on. Sounds like a good compromise, right?

You hold promise, Hello (even single handedly creating an engine that replicates Mario games almost perfectly), but if you want to rise above the large bulk of generic Mario ROM hackers, you're going to need to stop relying on some of these gimmick and try to use fresher material.
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by: Ashedragon, Tom Turkey
Impressive game but I have to agree that all that fancy colored lighting is very obtrusive.
Thanked by: E-Man, Tom Turkey
Why is it that every mario fangame is more or less the exact same gameplay, except just with an arbitrary gimmick, none of which are actually ever good?
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by: E-Man, Tom Turkey, Flare
because they use the same engine

remember when people made fangames to be fun?

no but really, I think you were the one who made that dumb-looking mario game with guns. Stop this crap already, a fun game (read: interesting) does not come from ridiculous gimmicks or stuff like that.

Mario fangames has come to a point where all fangames have become stagnant. The gameplay is the same, the physics is the same, the graphics are the same. You are approaching Nintendo fidelity, but by that you are abandoning fan creativity in the key elements.

And you tend to compensate that lack of fan element by putting a terrible gimmick to hide the sterile fangame you have, with guns. With funky lights. With crap-tastic lightwork. This is not what makes a fun game. Really, grab your games and think "what in this game is actually FUN?". Is it the secrets? Is it the innovatve gameplay?

I mean, is it hard to rethink Mario's universe that much? Does it all need to be SMB3 sprited cookie-cutter games? Why not a new style, or new a new thing? (oh yeah, creating new things actually need effort)

If you make games for the sake of making then I suggest stopping making games at all, I have criticized your past game with the same complaints and nothing has really changed at all.
I thought Skyrim had asinine lighting; I couldn't even play past the first level in this game. The colors make my head hurt. I know this sounds harsh, but even Action 52's color schemes weren't this bad.
Thanked by:
yeah, the ambient lighting is probably the most ridiculous thing i've seen yet in a mario game
(11-27-2013, 09:01 PM)Gors Wrote: Mario fangames has come to a point where all fangames have become stagnant. The gameplay is the same, the physics is the same, the graphics are the same. You are approaching Nintendo fidelity, but by that you are abandoning fan creativity in the key elements.

And you tend to compensate that lack of fan element by putting a terrible gimmick to hide the sterile fangame you have, with guns. With funky lights. With crap-tastic lightwork. This is not what makes a fun game. Really, grab your games and think "what in this game is actually FUN?". Is it the secrets? Is it the innovatve gameplay?

I mean, is it hard to rethink Mario's universe that much? Does it all need to be SMB3 sprited cookie-cutter games? Why not a new style, or new a new thing? (oh yeah, creating new things actually need effort)
actually, if there was a mario game that took out the classic power-ups and replaced them with completely new, interesting ones and had a lot of enemies that had to be defeated with these particular items, i think it'd still be gimmicky but still okay...?

that said, the Chargin' Chuck suit, while it looks cool, is literally a glorified Hammer Suit with Fire Flower mechanics. The Ninja Suit is a straight-firing Fire Flower (which kind of defeats the point) and the Yoshi Suit is Yoshi. But a suit. Wow cool.

it'd be more interesting if you put different mechanics behind the suits to make them actually...interesting.

Like think about the new game that came out - Super Mario 3D World's Cat suit. It does things with Mario mechanics previously unseen, but it works extremely well - and the suit's practical, too. It doesn't rehash mechanics from other suits.

Like for instance, the Chargin' Chuck suit could allow Mario to dash forward in a straight line (tackle), and it could be reflected in your level design, with the suit's practical usage of clearing long, narrow gaps. The Ninja suit could allow Mario to stealth-sneak "behind" enemies (along visible walls only) to unlock heavily-guarded switches. And the Yoshi suit....

why not just have a ridable Yoshi that powers up accordingly to the suits you're wearing? Blank

think outside the box a little more, man and these guys above me might not have pooped on you.

like, retool the lighting to actually contribute as a mechanic within the game instead of "oh the sky did a thing and now the mushroom kingdom is lit stupid LOL"
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by: E-Man, Crappy Blue Luigi
(12-07-2013, 01:56 PM)Kosheh Wrote: yeah, the ambient lighting is probably the most ridiculous thing i've seen yet in a mario game
(11-27-2013, 09:01 PM)Gors Wrote: Mario fangames has come to a point where all fangames have become stagnant. The gameplay is the same, the physics is the same, the graphics are the same. You are approaching Nintendo fidelity, but by that you are abandoning fan creativity in the key elements.

actually, if there was a mario game that took out the classic power-ups and replaced them with completely new, interesting ones and had a lot of enemies that had to be defeated with these particular items, i think it'd still be gimmicky but still okay...?

Yes, because the new powerups were tailored to the game's design, aesthetic and applied in a cohesive manner. The Mario gun game I had talked prior was a poor example of powerup implementation, because why the hell would you shoot if you can only shoot horizontally (not any other angle), and that your stomp still deal mode damage than a shot? It only contibuted to make it horribly shallow.

It's not a problem if you actually put guns in a mario-like game, but if it actually has a decent use. FLUDD was gimmicky, but the whole game used it, and thus felt like part of the game.

Also, as I told him over another forum, this game is terrible in execution because its main selling point, its main gimmick, is hampered by the other ambient lightings. Because of it, I don't know what color the block is, and therefore it turns the light puzzle into a huge guesswork, killing its true potential.
Thanked by:
Why the water distorsion tho ?
Thanked by:
The water distortion looks fine, I liked it. But the rest was quite an eyesore.
Thanked by: