Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
PC Engine / Turbografx 16 ripping tutorial
This is a quick sprite ripping tutorial for the PC Engine / Turbografx 16. For this we will use the emulator Mednafen.

Mednafen official page

Since Mednafen is a command-line application, you may want to use Let's Mednafen, which is a GUI frontend for Mednafen, just to make things easier.

Let's Mednafen official page

Mednafen already comes with a full documentation on how to set-up controls and directories, so I'll skip to the ripping part. It works for both Hu-card games and CD games.

NOTE: If you're having trouble booting CD games, refer to this post

Boot-up your game and play it to the point where what you want to rip is (let's say you want to rip some enemies, you play the game until you see the enemy). Now you press "ALT+D" to bring the Memory Viewer:

[Image: YZSDlhP.png]

...and then press "ALT+2" to bring the tile viewer:

[Image: xBju0WG.png]

* Left and Right arrows switch between backgrounds and sprites;
* Up and Down arrows scroll through the tiles;
* "," and "." scrolls through palettes.

[Image: dHu283P.png]

After you get to the tiles you want, it's all about using Print Screen and pasting on Paint or other image editing software. Note that you will need to resize the picture by half, since the tiles appear twice their original size in Mednafen.
[Image: lhjFt57.gif][Image: sX7JK6W.gif][Image: 4BB3IOO.gif][Image: qHY3ZCP.gif][Image: oCiv6RT.gif][Image: RNSMdiR.gif][Image: gx5wm3G.gif][Image: ld7rSgS.gif]
Is therea boot cd command I'm not finding for the LM version? And do I mount the ISO like with magic engine?
Thanked by:
How to load a CD game:

* First you'll need the PC Engine CD BIOS, which you can find easily by searching on Google. Once you have it, unzip it in the same folder as Mednafen;
* Your ISO must be a BIN/CUE or ISO/CUE (I haven't tested ISOs with those multiple WAV files, but I think they'll work too). Put the ISO files in the same folder as Mednafen (unzipped, of course);
* On Lmednafen, input the following line in the "Other command-line" box:

-loadcd pce <name of the CUE file>.cue

Example:
[Image: JX0ZoVm.png]

* Now load the BIOS file as if it were a regular ROM file. To do that just choose the menu "File -> Load...", and select the BIOS file.
[Image: lhjFt57.gif][Image: sX7JK6W.gif][Image: 4BB3IOO.gif][Image: qHY3ZCP.gif][Image: oCiv6RT.gif][Image: RNSMdiR.gif][Image: gx5wm3G.gif][Image: ld7rSgS.gif]
Thanked by:
Wait, where do I enter that command? xD
Thanked by:
In the first tab, the last box where it says "Other command-line":

[Image: JX0ZoVm.png]
Thanked by:
Yeah, but what does that do then? That's where I'm getting confused.
Thanked by:
Once ytou did that you got to File > Load... then load the CD Bios file like you'd load a regular rom.
Thanked by:
I don't think I have a CD Bios file. x-xSweatdrop; I only have the iso and cue.
Thanked by:
moving to QIT and linking in the tutorial collection.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
(06-07-2013, 10:51 AM)Magma Dragoon Wrote: This is a quick sprite ripping tutorial for the PC Engine / Turbografx 16. For this we will use the emulator Mednafen.

Mednafen official page

Since Mednafen is a command-line application, you may want to use Let's Mednafen, which is a GUI frontend for Mednafen, just to make things easier.

Let's Mednafen official page

Mednafen already comes with a full documentation on how to set-up controls and directories, so I'll skip to the ripping part. It works for both Hu-card games and CD games.

So you boot-up your game and play it to the point where what you want to rip is (let's say you want to rip some enemies, you play the game until you see the enemy). Now you press "ALT+D" to bring the Memory Viewer, and then press "ALT+2" to bring the tile viewer.

* Left and Right arrows switch between backgrounds and sprites;
* Up and Down arrows scroll through the tiles;
* "," and "." scrolls through palettes.

......AND THEN WHAT?
My First Time Being On TSR
Thanked by:
...Take screenshots of them I guess? Or there might be a save button, idk.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
Print screen, Paint. Isn't this obvious?
Thanked by:
It might not be obvious to first-time rippers. Some people might also wonder if there's a more "pure" option than simple print screening, like a save option in the tile-viewer itself.
I'd suggest just to add in at the end that you should print screen and paste in Paint or another image editor. It'll make the tutorial look more complete anyway (right now the end seems a bit abrupt).
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by: Garamonde
I was also thinking on adding screenshots to the existing tutorials and maybe make a general Paint tutorial, so I'll probably do that.
Thanked by: puggsoy
(07-24-2013, 12:57 PM)Axle the Red Wrote: ...Take screenshots of them I guess? Or there might be a save button, idk.
......okay............
My First Time Being On TSR
Thanked by: