Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Songs of Disney
Whether you like Disney or not, you gotta admit that Disney was know for at least two things (I know they're know for more than two, but I didn't want to list them all.) prior to becoming a corporate giant that no longer cares about 2-D animation and likes its teen pop-stars. That would be its animation and music.

If there are any songs that just stick to you and you love (even if it's that Small World song), please tell me about it in this thread. By the way, this is a thread to encourage and admire the songs of Disney, so please don't go overboard on any new Disney hate. I think there's a thread for that somewhere on this forum, so please express it there if you can.

Also, I know what you might be thinking, so let me just throw it out there to narrow down the options. No, you may not bring up songs from any Pixar film nor the Nightmare Before Christmas. For Pixar's case, it wasn't exactly Disney to begin with. Also, you might like those films better than any 2-D Disney film, so I decided to remove them off the table to focus more on the actual Disney films.

As for Nightmare's case, it's generally understood that almost everyone on here loves that film. Therefore, the natural response is to chose a song or two from it. As much as I like that film as much as the next guy, I want to give the other Disney films a fair shot. Besides, given the choice between films featuring princesses who want to find love and a film about a skeleton who takes over Christmas out of innocent interest and a desire to try it for himself, the choice is too obvious for me to even say.

Now then, with those restrictions in place, I would say that I like Hi-Diddle-Dee-Dee, Once Upon a Dream, Everybody's got a Laughing Place, the song Merlin sings to pack his bag, Whistle Stop, Never Had a Friend Like Me from Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, Song of the South, the Sword in the Stone, Robin Hood, and Aladdin respectively are my favorite tunes.

Hi-Diddle-Dee-Dee is a cheery melody that can easily get stuck in your head. It tells of all the great things you get to do when you're famous. Of course, the brilliant irony comes from the fact that it is a song used to trick a certain wooden boy into being sold to an angry, overweight gypsy.

Once Upon a Dream is a lovely song, too. It takes the melody from the Sleeping Beauty waltz and turns it into a peaceful song. The vocals of Princess Aurora and Prince Phillip are to die for, too!

Everybody's got a Laughing Place has the type of jolly tune that makes it seem like even the melody is laughing. I heard that music can sooth the savage beast, but if it can also trick a dumb bear into freeing a crafty rabbit, I should try using music more often to solve my troubles. In fact, I'm up to looking for my own laughing place, too.

I don't remember the title of this song, but the song Merlin sings to pack his belonging into a rather small bag with magic often comes out of my mouth. The two interruptions in the song make it all the more hilarious.

Whistle Stop is arguably the most calm song on my list. I know that Once Upon a Dream is pretty peaceful, but this song is very mellow and a good country song. I realize that the deep south and medieval England should not really mix, but if it gives us the opportunity to listen to this nice song, then who's complaining? By the way, before you bring it up, I know about the meme that was created from this song. Please don't bring it up.

As for Never Had a Friend Like Me, this brilliant song is funny and catchy! It has that old swing feel that I love in songs, while there's a genie who is explain what he can do as he sings the song. Well done, Robin Williams!

Anyway, that's my opinion on which Disney songs I like. How about you?
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by:
I like this one:
Thanked by: Ploaj
(05-28-2013, 03:02 PM)Sengir Wrote: I like this one:

Heh... I guess I overlooked most of the live action films (especially the recent ones).

Anyway, since Danny Elfman wrote the score for that film, I'm not surprised that anyone brought that up. If this wasn't just a topic about Disney music and Nightmare was allowed to be discussed, I could bring up a few of Elfman's songs that I like to listen to.
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

Thanked by:
There are a lot of good classic songs. I think Pinocchio and The Jungle Book have the best soundtracks overall (And I love A Goofy Movie's soundtrack, but that's not technically in the canon...), but the villain songs tend to be the most fun.
Poor Unfortunate Souls, Be Prepared, Gaston, and Friends on the Other Side are all great, but my favorite has to be Yzma's cut song from The Emperor's New Groove; Snuff out the Light.
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by: E-Man
(05-29-2013, 10:39 AM)Tonberry2k Wrote: There are a lot of good classic songs. I think Pinocchio and The Jungle Book have the best soundtracks overall (And I love A Goofy Movie's soundtrack, but that's not technically in the canon...), but the villain songs tend to be the most fun.
Poor Unfortunate Souls, Be Prepared, Gaston, and Friends on the Other Side are all great, but my favorite has to be Yzma's cut song from The Emperor's New Groove; Snuff out the Light.

Speaking of villain songs, I heard that Hi-Diddle-Dee-Dee from Pinocchio started the trend. Prior to that, villain songs were unheard of.

You probably wouldn't tell it was one because "Honest" John wasn't singing about himself and it sounds too cheery to be one. Still, it's arguably the first one out there, which makes John a hipster.

Thanked by: Ton
And it's weird that my two favorite Disney villains, Jafar and Hades, don't really get songs of their own. Jafar gets a short reprise of Prince Ali, but it's just not the same.
Though they tried to write about 3 songs for him. None of them really stuck.
Thanked by:
Aladdin. Any songs from Aladdin. I know all the lyrics to all the songs, and I don't really know why. I know the words to a lot of classic Disney songs, actually...
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
(05-29-2013, 11:16 AM)Tonberry2k Wrote: And it's weird that my two favorite Disney villains, Jafar and Hades, don't really get songs of their own. Jafar gets a short reprise of Prince Ali, but it's just not the same.
Though they tried to write about 3 songs for him. None of them really stuck.

The saddest thing about that is that Hades' voice actor, James Wood, never sang as the character. Period.

There was one time Hades did sing in a House of Mouse Halloween special, but he was voiced by another voice actor during that instance. I forgot his name, but he voiced Pinky the rat, Yackko Warner (I hope I got his name right), Dr. Scratch and Sniff, Carl Wheezer, Coconut Fred, and several others I don't feel like listing.

By the way, one of Jafar's unused songs did get used in the Aladdin musical. Also, believe it or not, his actual voice actor preforms in them and he gets to sing it! Don't expect to hear Gilbert Godfrey's, though...

they had songs in the animated series and sequels

not very good though
Thanked by:
(05-29-2013, 11:34 AM)Blorsal Wrote: they had songs in the animated series and sequels

not very good though

Well, that's not very surprising. Besides the Rescuers Down Under, no animated Disney sequel sans anything created by Pixar ever does any well. As the original man behind the mouse said, "You can't top pigs with pigs."

Still, barring any songs, the Disney animated series between the 80's and early 2000 were actually pretty good. I enjoy watching episodes of Aladdin, but this is not the topic to talk about that.

(05-29-2013, 11:24 AM)Dazz Wrote: Aladdin. Any songs from Aladdin. I know all the lyrics to all the songs, and I don't really know why. I know the words to a lot of classic Disney songs, actually...

Ah! I'm a big fan of Aladdin, too. As I already said, Never Had a Friend Like Me is on my list of top Disney songs. Of course, that doesn't mean that any of the other songs are just as brilliant.

Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and The Little Mermaid. Fuck yeah. Probably my favorite three.

Also, my vote for Make a Man out of You for catchiest song.
Thanked by:
(05-29-2013, 12:03 PM)Tonberry2k Wrote: Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and The Little Mermaid. Fuck yeah. Probably my favorite three.

Also, my vote for Make a Man out of You for catchiest song.

I'm not surprised that you do like those three Disney films. They're part of the Disney renaissance that attempted (and succeeded) to bring Disney animation back on top. It just shows that prior to mid-2000, Disney still has its touch for animation, story, and (of course) songs.

Yes, we couldn't forget about Mulan, can we? I wish Eddie Murphy still voiced Mushu... Did you know that it was the first Disney film to mostly be produced in the Florida animation studio? I wouldn't be surprised if several Full Sail graduates worked on the film.

Thanked by:
Disney music? DISNEY MUSIC? You're talking to a guy who has studied Disney musicals and a made formulas for them. I freaking LOVE Disney music. They are perhaps the shining example of how to make the perfect musical and how a musical number benefits a story rather than be a distraction from it. I'm looking at you Nightmare Before Christmas... what a mess.

I've gone even further to study the work history of great Disney musicians like the Sherman Brothers and Alan Menkin. Fuck you Phil Collins! Oh sorry, where did that come from?

Anyway, yes. I love Disney musicals and it is a shame that musicals themselves are dying.

Thanked by: Dazz
I'm gonna open up Pandora's box and say that I don't like the Nightmare Before Christmas.

Anyway, I like Hannah Montana music!! Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
(well, I do, but not the topic at hand!)

I'm not sure what my favorite Disney movie song is...so many great ones to choose from! The first movie that comes to mind is Mulan! Reflection, I'll Make a Man out of You, and even A Girl Worth Fighting For are all super memorable to me. I never really thought about, but Mulan has much fewer musical segments than other Disney animated films, doesn't it?

Gotta give props to Hakuna Matata (from Lion King, of course)
Thanked by:
(05-30-2013, 03:16 AM)Koopaul Wrote: Disney music? DISNEY MUSIC? You're talking to a guy who has studied Disney musicals and a made formulas for them. I freaking LOVE Disney music. They are perhaps the shining example of how to make the perfect musical and how a musical number benefits a story rather than be a distraction from it. I'm looking at you Nightmare Before Christmas... what a mess.

I've gone even further to study the work history of great Disney musicians like the Sherman Brothers and Alan Menkin. Fuck you Phil Collins! Oh sorry, where did that come from?

Anyway, yes. I love Disney musicals and it is a shame that musicals themselves are dying.

Phil Collins? Never heard of him... Anyway, I'm not surprised that Disney films used song only for the purpose of telling stories. Walt himself always strived to go for the best in animation when he still ran the show. I'm pleased that there are still people out there that think likewise.

Also, I didn't know that musicals themselves are dying, too. I thought that Disney losing it's touch and becoming more interested in making money was the main issue here.

(05-30-2013, 05:47 AM)Stasis Rune Wrote: I'm gonna open up Pandora's box and say that I don't like the Nightmare Before Christmas.

Anyway, I like Hannah Montana music!! Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
(well, I do, but not the topic at hand!)

I'm not sure what my favorite Disney movie song is...so many great ones to choose from! The first movie that comes to mind is Mulan! Reflection, I'll Make a Man out of You, and even A Girl Worth Fighting For are all super memorable to me. I never really thought about, but Mulan has much fewer musical segments than other Disney animated films, doesn't it?

Gotta give props to Hakuna Matata (from Lion King, of course)

Ah... Hakuna Matata... I remember how P.T. Piranha always tells me that whenever I'm upset about someone not liking me. Even though I have a hard time following it, that really is a good piece of advice.

By the way, I noticed that the both of you dislike the Nightmare Before Christmas. Since I disliked that film myself prior to playing the Kingdom Hearts games, I can tell you that I can respect your opinion. Sure, it has some nice music, a great art style, and some of the best stop motion ever seen in any film, but not everyone likes the idea of a creepy Christmas special. It's all good!

Of course, I wish I could say the same about some of the members on Smack Jeeves. If you mention that you dislike that film to most of the Kingdom Hearts fans on that site (especially DaGreenFreak and Mr. Aids), chances are that they aren't going to like that. I learned that from past experience, but everything's alright now.

Thanked by: