Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Shadow Wave (previously an unnamed RPG)
This game is an RPG I am working on for a school project, using RPG Maker VX Ace. Here's some information, including some terrible attempts by me to be funny.

Gameplay:
Story:
Anyway, onto the main reason I posted this here, the sprites. There's not a lot at the moment, but here they are anyway.

Tiles (currently working on a better palette):
Characters:
“The Goombas have lost...Again?! Is this our destiny?! To be trampled by oppressive feet for all eternity? No, we will definitely triumph next time! Yes, next time! The Goombas' fate is not defeat, but perseverance!”
—Goomboss, Super Mario 64 DS

Thanks to Ploaj for the avatar.
Thanked by:
It could just be my school's monitor (which is already fairly cheap), but the wood is way too neon orange and the blue/gray is way too dark in comparison. I'd recommend using another palette to get the hang of spriting in general before moving on to color selection.

I haven't seen too many RPG's with jumping (except the Mario ones), so it'll be interesting to see how it works in a fantasy setting.
Thanked by: SuperGoomba
(01-30-2013, 11:54 AM)Sengineer Wrote: It could just be my school's monitor (which is already fairly cheap), but the wood is way too neon orange and the blue/gray is way too dark in comparison. I'd recommend using another palette to get the hang of spriting in general before moving on to color selection.

I haven't seen too many RPG's with jumping (except the Mario ones), so it'll be interesting to see how it works in a fantasy setting.

I'm working on the tile colours, because some of them were pretty horrible, such as the ones you pointed out.

I only really added the jumping as a point of difference from other generic fantasy rpgs, so I haven't really thought about what I'll do with it yet.

Also,
[Image: Flurble_Battlepreview_zpsf92299b7.png]
Flurble battle sprite.
“The Goombas have lost...Again?! Is this our destiny?! To be trampled by oppressive feet for all eternity? No, we will definitely triumph next time! Yes, next time! The Goombas' fate is not defeat, but perseverance!”

Thanked by:
I've just about finished Flurble's battle sprites.
[Image: battler_flurble_zpsd3ef8781.png]

Poses from top to bottom are;
Idle
Move forward
Move back
Use item/magic (note: when using magic, he will have a purple glow)
Hurt (note: will also be used for when he is falling down after being K.O'ed)
Victory (note: frames 3 and 4 are for when he is jumping up/falling down)

I just need to make the K.O'ed pose. The notes are what I can do within the actual game engine.

Thanked by:
Have a quick edit to illustrate some thoughts.

[Image: 2JJloDa.png]

I think you should increase the contrast and merge a few similar colours (I cut it down from 13 to 9). The shading of the head and leave body doesn't match - the head is shaded on the right, but the body is just as bright there and should be shaded, too, to have a consistent lightsource. You can use your outline colour to apply deeper shading to some areas, too. The other ear should still be visible judging from the eye position. The stem should be less bright as it's fully in the shade - plus, sopme frames use a dark outline at the bottom, but others don't. The front-facing sprite's faces look a bit pillow shaded because you applied a band of shade on the left side. The nose doesn't match between the front- and side-facing sprites, either.
Thanked by: Kami, Phaze, SuperGoomba
(02-08-2013, 04:01 AM)Previous Wrote: Have a quick edit to illustrate some thoughts.

[Image: 2JJloDa.png]

I think you should increase the contrast and merge a few similar colours (I cut it down from 13 to 9). The shading of the head and leave body doesn't match - the head is shaded on the right, but the body is just as bright there and should be shaded, too, to have a consistent lightsource. You can use your outline colour to apply deeper shading to some areas, too. The other ear should still be visible judging from the eye position. The stem should be less bright as it's fully in the shade - plus, sopme frames use a dark outline at the bottom, but others don't. The front-facing sprite's faces look a bit pillow shaded because you applied a band of shade on the left side. The nose doesn't match between the front- and side-facing sprites, either.

[Image: dunno_zpsa67fdf98.png]
Left: Mine - Right: Previous

I changed the shading on the body (which is actually meant to be fur, not leaves), and added some extra contrast. Also, the "nose" is actually his mouth, so that's why it looks different in some frames. Now that I think about it, I don't know why I thought the shading was correct when it clearly wasn't. I'll work on fixing up the other frames now.

EDIT:
[Image: flurblebattlenew_zps6692c7a0.png]
I fixed up the shading on the rest of the frames, and made a new 4 frame walk cycle.
Note: The victory pose frames will not play in the order shown, I just didn't want to make the sheet bigger than it needed to be by showing duplicate frames.

Thanked by:
I've started the battle sprites for the main playable character, using an enlarged version of a sprite made with RPG Maker's built in character generator as a base for the lineart.

[Image: playerbattlepreview_zpsa79e0b78.png]

Thanked by:
Super-long gummy arms! The front hair bangs look quite jaggy and are a tad too long and there's a bunch of banding on the hair and arm shading (don't just shade along the edges, but try to show the volume instead. You don't need to cramp shading into every single small corner, this applies mostly to the bangs).
Thanked by: SuperGoomba
(02-11-2013, 01:48 AM)Previous Wrote: Super-long gummy arms! The front hair bangs look quite jaggy and are a tad too long and there's a bunch of banding on the hair and arm shading (don't just shade along the edges, but try to show the volume instead. You don't need to cramp shading into every single small corner, this applies mostly to the bangs).

[Image: playerbattle_zpsc030c651.png]

I made the front bangs a bit shorter and got rid of the jags. I also toned down the shading a bit, fixed up the shading on his face (under the hair), and moved his right (screen left) eye back a bit. Now that you point it out the banding on the arms and goggles is really obvious and looks pretty horrible, so I removed that.

I've made an idle animation for him too;
[Image: playeridle_zps46bdd1be.gif]

BTW thanks for your crits Previous, they've been very helpful Smile

Thanked by:
NP~

I'd say he shouldn't move back and forth as much and the hair should react to the movement.

Maybe these should be moved to Sprite Discussion so they get more attention by other pixelers?
Thanked by: Phaze