Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[Game Maker 8 Pro]Comprehensive Gameboy Zelda Engine
So I have my multi-project anxiety going on again. But this time I decided to do something different with it. This is a little side project I'll be working on for the people of the internet to use with credit. Basically I'll be creating an advanced Gameboy Zelda engine for people to use with Game Maker 8 Pro. Of course, for those who want to just help test and knock out bugs, you don't need Game Maker at all to run the executable in the download! So if you ever want to just see how the engine is coming along (besides just reading the changelog), you could always just playtest the executable in the download. The changelog is also included in the package, but it'll be collective, instead of what the current changes for the most recent version were. Also, there are elaborate comments within the code, so anyone can read them and understand what each section of the code segments do.

Current Version Screenshots
[Image: CGBZE-13.png] [Image: CGBZE-14.png] [Image: CGBZE-15.png] [Image: CGBZE-16.png]

Version 1.0.0.1 Preview (5/7/2013)

Changelog
=========================================
Version 0.0.1.5 (Nov. 20, 2012)
-Implemented drawing equipped items on the HUD.
-Implemented the base script for using items.
-Implemented the Level-1 Shovel (Normal).
-Implemented the perishable Item system (Rupees, Hearts, etc.).
-Removed Testing Keys A, S, D and F, while adding R, T, and Y.
-Implemented the Level-2 Shovel (Golden).

Download: Game Maker 8 Comprehensive Gameboy Zelda Engine (Version 0.0.1.5)
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
Just tried it out, it's pretty cool for what you have so far Smile

Though I assume you're working on these, the jarring transition between songs right as the transition begins is something that probably should be done away with (possibly via fade out/silence/fade in), along with the long period of silence at the end of the cave music.

I also noticed "solmire.com" was used to convert what were apparently MIDIs to MP3, via the "Contributing artists" ID3 tag. I'm not sure if you want to bother with it, but you can actually use something like Foobar2000 (with its MIDI plugin) to do this for you (with potential soundfont flexibility too!), if this interests you. I have the technique covered in a tutorial I made a few weeks earlier, I'll provide the link if you're interested Wink
Thanked by:
Does it work in GMUnsuretudio?

You know, the only "gamemaker" that actually matters?
I've got a fancy little website, if you'd like to click here and check it out.
Thanked by:
Wow, uh
that was unnecessary.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
(11-19-2012, 12:36 PM)Phaze Wrote: Just tried it out, it's pretty cool for what you have so far Smile

Though I assume you're working on these, the jarring transition between songs right as the transition begins is something that probably should be done away with (possibly via fade out/silence/fade in), along with the long period of silence at the end of the cave music.

I also noticed "solmire.com" was used to convert what were apparently MIDIs to MP3, via the "Contributing artists" ID3 tag. I'm not sure if you want to bother with it, but you can actually use something like Foobar2000 (with its MIDI plugin) to do this for you (with potential soundfont flexibility too!), if this interests you. I have the technique covered in a tutorial I made a few weeks earlier, I'll provide the link if you're interested Wink
Thanks for the feedback Smile. Game Maker doesn't naturally support fading in and out non-MIDI files; you'd have to use extension packages for that. As for the music thing...as long as they're free...but I don't own any soundfonts, and Solmire only takes like 1 minute x3.
(11-19-2012, 10:38 PM)coty-crg Wrote: Does it work in GMUnsuretudio?

You know, the only "gamemaker" that actually matters?
I've never used that, so I have no idea.
Thanked by:
(11-19-2012, 11:07 PM)Koh Wrote: Game Maker doesn't naturally support fading in and out non-MIDI files; you'd have to use extension packages for that.
Wow that's... kinda surprising. You'd expect functionality like that to be standard Ouch!
I'd recommend it if you have the option, though. It'd aid to a degree in immersion. I always find jarring sound changes like that to instantly 'eject' me, if you know what I mean.
Thanked by:
(11-20-2012, 03:34 AM)Phaze Wrote:
(11-19-2012, 11:07 PM)Koh Wrote: Game Maker doesn't naturally support fading in and out non-MIDI files; you'd have to use extension packages for that.
Wow that's... kinda surprising. You'd expect functionality like that to be standard Ouch!
I'd recommend it if you have the option, though. It'd aid to a degree in immersion. I always find jarring sound changes like that to instantly 'eject' me, if you know what I mean.
Don't worry, I wrote the code anyway, but it won't work on the MP3s xD. I've never used extension packages before, so it would be a first, but first I want to get as much done on my own as possible.
Thanked by:
(11-20-2012, 06:16 AM)Koh Wrote: Don't worry, I wrote the code anyway, but it won't work on the MP3s xD. I've never used extension packages before, so it would be a first, but first I want to get as much done on my own as possible.
Hopefully it at least works on OGGs :o

I can sympathize with that though, I dislike relying on other things.
Thanked by:
I haven't checked it out yet, but I'm curious how dungeons are handled. Link's Awakening or the Oracle games?
Doofenshmirtz: This is a little bit awkward but have you seen my escape jet keys? (Perry nods) What, you have? Well that's great! So where are they? (Perry looks away) You won't tell me? Is this because you don't speak or are you just being a jerk?
~Phineas and Ferb, "One Good Scare Ought to Do It!" (2008)
Thanked by:
There is a difference?
[Image: dariC.png][Image: tumblr_mlf109xOe81rmu6i5o1_250.gif][Image: b0KxM.gif]
Thanked by:
(11-20-2012, 05:11 PM)Deathbringer Wrote: I haven't checked it out yet, but I'm curious how dungeons are handled. Link's Awakening or the Oracle games?
When I get there, it'll definitely be like the Oracle games. I also plan on having Side-view in here, so definitely.

(11-20-2012, 06:12 PM)Davy Jones Wrote: There is a difference?
The difference between them is that Oracle dungeon rooms could span across more than just one screen. However, on Link's awakening, it was always one room = 1 full screen and that's it.

Build 0.0.1.5 Now Live!

Version 0.0.1.5 (Nov. 20, 2012)
-Implemented drawing equipped items on the HUD.
-Implemented the base script for using items.
-Implemented the Level-1 Shovel (Normal).
-Implemented the perishable Item system (Rupees, Hearts, etc.).
-Removed Testing Keys A, S, D and F, while adding R, T, and Y.
-Implemented the Level-2 Shovel (Golden).
Thanked by: Phaze
SHOVEL!!!! :>
One of my absolute favourite tools in Zelda.
I hope you also make bottles! :D
Thanked by:
(11-21-2012, 01:25 AM)Previous Wrote: I hope you also make bottles! Big Grin
What kind of Zelda game wouldn't have those rarer-than-gold glass bottles? Embarassed
Thanked by:
Too many, my friend, too many.
Pretty much all handheld Zeldas safe for Minish Cap, I think? Which is why I ask, since this is somehow based on the gameboy titles.
Thanked by:
(11-21-2012, 01:25 AM)Previous Wrote: SHOVEL!!!! :>
One of my absolute favourite tools in Zelda.
I hope you also make bottles! Big Grin
Definitely. After all, who didn't abuse Fairies in Bottles for a no-death counter run?
Thanked by: Previous