Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Earthbound OW Revamp
I wanted to redo the EB overworld sprites (mainly the characters) out of boredom.
[Image: RVcmL.png]
I don't plan to do anything extremely serious with this, but if I manage to make a full sheet of someone, that's great.
C+C before I continue, por favor.
I really like Ness and Paula, but Jeff is bothering me a lot (Tony's just a lazy edit, so I can't really complain about him).
These are intended to be the overworld sprites if this was in a a game (I'm not concerned about size limitations and programming restrictions, this is mainly just for fun :V), so yeah.
EDIT: palette under the Magicant merchant isn't right at all, welp.
[Image: OH4K4jX.gif] [Image: R7WBBzo.gif] [Image: TsJpssj.gif]
-----------------------[Love]-----------------------
idk about poo's vest, you should make it more like a gi. it looks good otherwise though!
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
[Image: zosrN.png]
?
Thanked by:
i really like these! jeff looks fine to me, but i can't make out his arms. are they behind his back?

also poo's arms seem really short
Thanked by: Baegal
Jeff's arms are actually supposed to be in his coat pockets, similar to in this image, but I had a lot of trouble expressing that. As for Poo, his arms are supposed to be behind his back, but I had trouble describing him as well. My biggest worry is that all the characters look like clones of each other, so I try to make them as different as possible, here by toying with the arm positions. If you guys think the arms just hanging down would work or have another idea, please let me know.
Thanked by:
(08-28-2012, 09:08 PM)Baegal Wrote: [Image: RVcmL.png]

I like these, but the angle seems more like it's face on as opposed to overhead. I dunno.

As far as Jeff's pockets, you might wanna add a bit of white to the end of his sleeves to show the undershirt.
As for the angle, the original Earthbound and Mother 3 has angles somewhat similar to this, so I don't think it's a major problem. Not trying to shoot you down or anything, but I think the angle's okay for this.
I'll try the sleeve thing you mentioned.
Thanked by:
(08-28-2012, 09:49 PM)Baegal Wrote: As for the angle, the original Earthbound and Mother 3 has angles somewhat similar to this, so I don't think it's a major problem. Not trying to shoot you down or anything, but I think the angle's okay for this.
I'll try the sleeve thing you mentioned.

I'm mostly just concerned about how it'll look animated, since walking forward would probably look more like he's walking towards the camera. Also, Earthbound had a really weird grasp on perspective, so I'm not really sure it's a good example to follow.

If you can make it work though, more power to you.
Thanked by:
Needs more Dungeon Man. Tongue
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by: Jdaster64, Baegal
@keiang Earthbound did use oblique projection for its maps (hell, it even changes perspective out of nowhere for Fourside). But the character sprites disregard it completely, going for a simple 8-way walking animation, so it isn't that hard to imagine (also Mother 3 ditched that projection altogether, using a more common parallel projection reminescent of Pokémon.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: Guy, Keiang
[Image: zyVme.png]
Probably the last character I'll do until I get some basic animations down.
Also added back sprites for Paula and Ness.
I think I fixed Jeff and Tony's problems--they really didn't have any shoulders :Y (I also added the sleeve).
Eh, I don't know. I'm not really feeling Everdred, but I can't figure out what's bothering me.
[Image: bjFlN.gif][Image: HdQZt.gif]
[Image: emea2.png]
-Made boxes 24x32
-Added back sprites for Jeff and Poo, and revised Paula's
-Added shadows (not sure how I feel about them)
-Added 4 directions for Paula
-Walking animation for Paula
Above anything, I'd really like C+C on the walking animation.
Her shoulder is unrealistically positioned on the 2nd frame there. The shoulder should move ALONG with the arm. It also goes too far compared the the transitioning of the other frames on frame 2, making it look choppy once it reaches said frame.
~~LOVE~~ 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.
[Image: mousey.gif]
Thanked by: Virt, Baegal, Garamonde, recme
Basically what Iceman said. When the arm swings forward, the shoulder should move forward. The same applies for the hips.
Thanked by: Baegal
Also, Paula's profile looks like Ness. She does a bit in the original game too, but maybe make her lips red like the original to help differentiate?
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by: