Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[Cancelled]World of Chaos Deluxe: Extended
World of Chaos Deluxe Extended
by Dominic 'TamerKoh' 'Dlbrooks33' Brooks

Story
The world is living in fear, because demons known as the Chaos Elementals, that each have power with a specific natural element, have begun terrorizing the world and creating mass destruction. Many warriors from around the world have fallen attempting to fight the threat to peace.

However, Koh's village is home to descendants of a special group of warriors that each have something they naturally excel at during battle, that only they can do. For Koh, this was the ability to use his sword like a boomerang, and have it return to him like none other, and is able to charge elements into his blade as he acquires those powers. Normally, before anyone can leave the village, they must undergo the Village Trial at a minimum age of 15, which will determine if they've kept up their training and can handle themselves in the outside world. However, due to this threat, and how the elders noticed Koh's constantly increasing level of skill with his unique technique, they decided to send him through it early (he's 12 years old in this game). He flies through the test with ease, and they deem him strong enough to use his technique to stop the Chaos Elementals.

Instead of traveling all over the world by foot, since that would take a long time, the elders have decided to allow Koh to use the Teleporters to navigate to the lairs of all the Chaos Elementals directly. However, due to the chaos Elementals' power, the teleporter is only able to send Koh to either just inside the front door, or in the general vicinity of the areas. From there on out, Koh is on his own, and has the world resting on his shoulders. A heavy burden for a 12 year old, but he'll be alright! And so, his journey starts in the lair of the nearest Chaos Elemental, King Fritz, Lord of the Slimes, who controls the element of Water.

Info
Anyone who's played World of Chaos or World of Chaos DX, both my first games I completed, this will be right up your alley! I've been working on this for the past week now, and I'm basically updating my old game to be much more playable and full of new content. I won't say much more other than all of the maps are being redone, the engine is being heavily updated, and all of the enemy AI are being improved. For now, have a preview.

And also have a small demo you can try out! The demo is over when you defeat the first boss, as the next content is still being developed. Make sure you put the game in it's own folder.
World of Chaos Deluxe: Extended - Demo Download
The following download is for those who wish to hear higher quality music in-game. After downloading it, extract it into the game's folder and the mp3s will be loaded in as soon as you start the game.
World of Chaos Deluxe: Extended - Enhanced Music Pack Download

Below is a video showing changes, updates and additions based on feedback received and my own plans.

Here's a preview of the upcoming Zone, the Sand Tower.

And with that, have a new video, which shows the boss fight at the Sand Tower. Of course I made him a bit stronger since the video, since this was my "underachiever" test file, meaning I completely ignored all the optional routes in favor of the lowest stats to try and balance enemies.

Below is a video showcasing the elemental charging system, with the element of Water. Also a couple of other changes and updates~

Here is a new video to showcase the Wind Element. As you can see, not every elemental charge will be a pure-offensive based charge attack.

Another elemental showoff...you'll be starting with this element. As you can see, Fire is pretty random with it's projectiles, so it's not super reliable. But as with all the other charges, damage is boosted higher than the slash attack, so it could be useful just a bit, but not as much as the later elements.

Well although many things are still incomplete and are being worked on, I decided to go ahead and make a new video to show what's happening, to keep you all updated. It's pretty much self-explanatory Smile.

Controls
Arrow Keys - Movement
Z - Jump and Confirm (Menus)
X - Slash and Cancel (Menus)
C - Toss Sword
Enter - Pause Game
F2 - Restart the Game
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
Thanked by:
This is quite charming!

I died at the boss really quickly and would have had to play through the whole level again... Sad

Personally, I'd find it nice if hitting an enemy would bounce them off a bit.
Thanked by:
Agreed with Previous on the bounce, but it is a nice little game! Big Grin
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by: Previous
(08-15-2012, 03:52 AM)Previous Wrote: This is quite charming!

I died at the boss really quickly and would have had to play through the whole level again... Sad

Personally, I'd find it nice if hitting an enemy would bounce them off a bit.
(08-15-2012, 03:55 AM)Dazz Wrote: Agreed with Previous on the bounce, but it is a nice little game! Big Grin
Thanks for the feedback! My other peers and I were talking about that yesterday; the main reason why I just have little shaking effect with getting hurt is because there will be times later when the platforming is on very strict and small jumps, and I didn't want enemies smacking Koh around. However, due to this, I found it necessary to increase his invincibility timer when you get hurt, so you have a bit more time to get away if need be. But you'll also be happy to know that the boss has been nerfed a bit; The number of Blue Slimes he spawns is halved in Normal, they start dropping down a bit slower, and they no longer give EXP during the fight. (All for the next release of course, not the demo link above).
Thanked by:
Here is a video made to show changes, updates, and additions to the game based on the feedback I've received and from my own ideas together.

When are you making a Pokemon fan game?
Thanked by:
(08-16-2012, 07:15 PM)kaB00M Wrote: When are you making a Pokemon fan game?

How is that even relevant at all?
Thanked by: Dazz, Kriven, recme, ThePortalGuru
Those updates make a big difference, I must say. Excited to see more from this project!

My next suggestions are thing I'm sure you're thinking of changing; some of the sound effects I know came from RPG Maker, that sort of thing.
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by:
Oh yes, I did forget to mention that I was pretty impressed by that video. Nice job, keep it up.
Thanked by:
(08-16-2012, 07:15 PM)kaB00M Wrote: When are you making a Pokemon fan game?

took the liberty to warn you. This was pointless and nothing to do with the thread's project.

As for the game progress, good job! I can't wait to play this when I have the time!
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: recme
(08-17-2012, 06:04 AM)Dazz Wrote: Those updates make a big difference, I must say. Excited to see more from this project!

My next suggestions are thing I'm sure you're thinking of changing; some of the sound effects I know came from RPG Maker, that sort of thing.
Thanks for replying Smile. Unfortunately, I don't know the first thing about making sound effects and music, so RPG Maker is my best, free-to-use resource available to me. Luckily most of the sounds fit the scene, and the music definitely does; the way I handled the enhanced music pack was taking the MIDIs and passing them through soundfonts for higher quality.

(08-17-2012, 06:52 AM)Hoeloe Wrote: Oh yes, I did forget to mention that I was pretty impressed by that video. Nice job, keep it up.
Thanks a lot ^-^.

(08-17-2012, 07:33 AM)Gors Wrote: As for the game progress, good job! I can't wait to play this when I have the time!
Thanks =).

All the feedback is very much appreciated guys!
Thanked by:
Here's a preview of the upcoming Zone, the Sand Tower.
(08-17-2012, 08:51 AM)Koh Wrote: Unfortunately, I don't know the first thing about making sound effects and music, so RPG Maker is my best, free-to-use resource available to me.

If you want to try out to do your own SFX, you might want to check out http://www.superflashbros.net/as3sfxr/, it's a tool to create chiptune-esque soundeffects, and its pretty easy to use.

Otherwise, I really like what I played so far, even though it's kinda awkward to control as a QWERTZ user, would be awesome if there was a way to rebind keys OR at least use both Y and Z for the same thing.

Keep it up!
[Image: 6SqMy.gif][Image: 6SqMy.gif]
« Ref »
« »
Thanked by: Dazz, Previous
(08-18-2012, 06:43 PM)Vic Wrote: Otherwise, I really like what I played so far, even though it's kinda awkward to control as a QWERTZ user, would be awesome if there was a way to rebind keys OR at least use both Y and Z for the same thing.
Haha, yea
I mean, sure, I can switch to English keyboard layout with Alt+Shift, but it is rather inconvenient.

Either way, this looks really nice! However, there's still the point about bouncing off enemies. I think you misunderstood me and thought I meant the player being repelled by hits? What I'd like is that enemies get pushed away a few pixels when they're hit which would reduce that evasive chaotic hopping around. I couldn't really get used to that when playing the demo and thus, got hit a lot, especially when a few enemies hopped at me at once.
Thanked by:
(08-18-2012, 06:43 PM)Vic Wrote: If you want to try out to do your own SFX, you might want to check out http://www.superflashbros.net/as3sfxr/, it's a tool to create chiptune-esque soundeffects, and its pretty easy to use.

That's a pretty interesting program you linked me to! Unfortunately those sounds would be out of place with the style of the game, but I saved it as a bookmark for future use, thanks Smile.

(08-18-2012, 06:43 PM)Vic Wrote: Otherwise, I really like what I played so far, even though it's kinda awkward to control as a QWERTZ user, would be awesome if there was a way to rebind keys OR at least use both Y and Z for the same thing.

Keep it up!
(08-19-2012, 05:04 AM)Previous Wrote: [quote='Vic' pid='471211' dateline='1345333405']Otherwise, I really like what I played so far, even though it's kinda awkward to control as a QWERTZ user, would be awesome if there was a way to rebind keys OR at least use both Y and Z for the same thing.
Haha, yea
I mean, sure, I can switch to English keyboard layout with Alt+Shift, but it is rather inconvenient.

Either way, this looks really nice! However, there's still the point about bouncing off enemies. I think you misunderstood me and thought I meant the player being repelled by hits? What I'd like is that enemies get pushed away a few pixels when they're hit which would reduce that evasive chaotic hopping around. I couldn't really get used to that when playing the demo and thus, got hit a lot, especially when a few enemies hopped at me at once.

You guys and many others will be happy to know I just finished making the separate "game" for the folder to redefine the controls Smile. It's only limited to The Arrows, Enter, Space, Control, Shift, Tab, Alt, and the Letters, but you can still change them around to your pleasing with what's available when the next release is made ready Big Grin.

As for the knockback issue, I'll have to think about it...I imagine doing so will make the game easier in a good way, but could also break the way some things should work that were designed around no knockback.