Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Novelty Games
This is pretty much a term I use to describe the kind of game that, when released, is very well received and highly praised, but afterwards, starts to become rare on the market (to the point where you feel lucky to have even owned the game at all).

When I first used the term "novelty games", it was after I had previously owned the games The World Ends With You and Muramasa the Demon Blade. The former I sold and the latter I still own and play. After buying this, they were still on stock at the Gamestop I frequently visited for about a month if memory serves right. And these were games that were extremely hyped. I don't think I ever saw them in stock again. Another great title I still own that I consider to fit in this category is Knights in the Nightmare. Same deal; bought it, was still in stock for a while, then POOF!

So were there any games you guys owned that fit such a category? Do you still own them? Do you still play them?
[Image: H4KAm.gif]
Yup. I'm a Touhou fan.
Thanked by:
The original Kingdom Hearts would be considered one as it was the first real major video game crossover in the US that wasn't a fighter (Super Robot Wars being a licensing HELL and many thought it was practically impossible to put the hedgehog and the plumber in the same game at the time), it was hyped as it had an enormous cast of characters from various movies and shorts from Disney's renaissance era and characters from the ever-popular Final Fantasy VII with a dash of other colorful characters from the franchise. The series is still going strong and it is currently up to Dream Drop Distance for the 3DS, which was released awhile back in the United States. It was featured in Disney's 365 segment on the disney channel to help further the hype. Dispite success, the game got gradually harder to find due to the stores not being able to keep up with demand, and was the PS2's early powerhouse games that you can only find on a Sony console at the time, the mammoth fanbase shortly followed.

And yes, I still own my copy, too.
Thanked by:
I still own a cartridge copy of Pokemon Jade but idk if that counts
Thanked by: megaMasquerain, Tellis
Hmmmm....
Do NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, and GCN games count as novelty games, if so, then I have alot of those that go with their respected system.

Edit: Just found Touhou #6 on my older PC.
[Image: FK4rxzT.gif][Image: rZSrTAQ.gif][Image: QUmE6.gif][Image: b0KxM.gif][Image: 3CczX.gif][Image: qjGOacY.png][Image: smC8iWb.gif][Image: FK4rxzT.gif]
[Image: shrine.gif]
Anti-Vipershark Operation Pantsu Weapon - By Kistu-nii~ Cute

Thanked by:
I gots me a game called MadWorld!

I also own Donkey Kong Jungle Climber.

Thanked by: Gaia, Gwen, Tellis
I still have the Zelda Collector's edition for the Game Cube.
[Image: 27348983yu7.png]
Thanked by: Chris2Balls [:B], Tellis
man, good games without multiple printings. I know when Nippon Ichi was first around, and even into the middle PS2 era, a lot of their games didn't receive multiple print runs.
[Image: cKfiI0F.png]
Thinking of you, 
wherever you are.
Thanked by: Gaia, Maxpphire, Tellis
Suikoden 1 & 2. 'nuff said, I think.
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by:
Ribbit King, .hack//Quarantine, Harvest Moon 64, Pokemon Snap, and Wind Waker comes to mind.
M A C H I N E G U N
         ⌒°。>◡<)⌒°
             /_▄︻し┻┳═一(いち)(いち)  ┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨
[Image: tumblr_mr2bjoHi1v1qh8espo1_400.gif][Image: NfIxSTK.gif]
Thanked by: Tellis
I still got my copy of Kirby and the Amazing Mirror's. I also have my Gameboy Advance SP. I own Kingdom Hearts 1, 2, and Re:Chain of Memories. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and Zelda: Wind Waker. I still have my bro's N64, which is in my backyard. Too bad I have no cables for it. I think that's it...

Also, there is this World Thrift store that sells N64's, Sega Genesis's, and Atari's! They also have cartridges for those consoles! I'm surprised why didn't I didn't buy any of these. Sick
[Image: XeE6VeC.gif]
Thanked by:
I still got our old Gameboy, green-tinted screen and all. Also got my old copy of Pokemon Silver but it doesn't save anymore.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
(08-07-2012, 01:04 PM)puggsoy Wrote: Also got my old copy of Pokemon Silver but it doesn't save anymore.
The same thing happened with my brother's, lol

Also I got a Gameboy (original one) at some tiny convention my dad went to. There were two of them there, and I had a Gameboy color since I was little. One of my favorite things to play on it was Super Mario Bros. Delux.

We also have a TON of Nintendo 64 games (Robotron 64 woot) and some PS2 games (Kingdom Hearts, RPG Maker 2, Justice League Heroes, etc.).

Also, Amazing Island for Gamecube. HECK YEAH
Thanked by: Tellis
I found that Double Dash Bonus Disk for ten bucks. Then I conned my friend into giving me the Metroid bonus disk. Heh, heh, heh...
Thanked by:
I got two gameboy black and white 1 is a game boy pocket which is transparent and the other which is hulking big and uses four batteries instead two and it is colored black and not transparent got them both for $1 as well as 3 game boy colors for a $1 and two GBA for a $1 from a garage sale, the guy was moving so he was selling his stuff cheap XD

I also own a copy of Mischief Makers man that game rocks it's a shame it's so underrated, as well as Jet Force Jemini such an amazing game made by Rare, that not many people i know actually played, they know all the other games made by Rare games though ^^
What Rips am i doing next not sure?
[Image: giphy.webp]
Thanked by:
(08-07-2012, 01:42 PM)Trollerskates Wrote: Also, Amazing Island for Nintendo 64. HECK YEAH
Wasn't that a GameCube game, not an N64 game?
Thanked by: