Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
First Attempt at Spriting
Smile 
Hey guys, I just joined. This is my first go at spriting and I could use some critiques. Thanks Smile

[Image: animated_jane_sprite_by_plixik-d56f4m6.gif]

[Image: stocke_sprite_by_plixik-d56j7jk.gif]

[Image: green_hair_sprite_by_plixik-d56o6bv.gif]

[Image: new_jane_by_plixik-d57fts9.gif]
Thanked by: Speed-X
you could use more contrast on the shades, and use hueshift to your advantage.

i don't see any other problems aside from that so good job.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
You really need to increase contrast. A lot of your shades aren't distinguishable. It makes your shading hardly visible.
Then you have some banding issues. For example the left side of the last one's hair, you're following the outline with a line of shading - don't do that, it looks just weird and doesn't improve the linework at all.
Thanked by: Garamonde, Star, Speed-X
Thanks for the comments. I'll keep those problems in mind for my next sprite.
Thanked by:
why wait? fix those you already posted.
(07-16-2012, 03:46 AM)Meta Wrote: why wait? fix those you already posted.

I'm not actually using these for anything. Plus I hate the designs, so I'd rather just start from scratch.
Thanked by: Gaia
(07-17-2012, 03:18 PM)Plixik Wrote:
(07-16-2012, 03:46 AM)Meta Wrote: why wait? fix those you already posted.

I'm not actually using these for anything. Plus I hate the designs, so I'd rather just start from scratch.
But...you post them here to get critique? Why post something you don't even care about?
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]

Thanked by: Garamonde, Speed-X, Ploaj
I see where Shiya is coming from, but simutaneously I see where the OP is going, too. Usually a lot of people will post their individual pieces for crits, which is typical and totally okay (obviously). However, fewer people will post their works for crits while not caring about the individual pieces themselves, but looking for how they can improve as an artist. Therefore, rather than, "How can I improve this piece?", its "How can I generally improve as an artist?"

But I digress. OP, how about posting something that you actually want to improve? It will make this thread seem just a little less redundant, perhaps.
[Image: BannerMain.gif]
Thanked by: Davy Jones, Garamonde, Shade
(07-19-2012, 11:20 PM)Speed-X Wrote: Therefore, rather than, "How can I improve this piece?", its "How can I generally improve as an artist?"

I agree. When i post something here is exactly that thougth thata i have in mind. Otherwise, when he start a project, it will bring works that will need to improve.

Plixik, good job with the sprites, as the first try, is good a lot. Listen carefully the critics in this forum and you will "grow" fast.
[Image: daricr.png]
Thanked by:
Well, I wasn't really siding with one person or the other, just trying to bring up a point that people would understand.

I do agree, though, with the mindset that, "If I want crits I'm gonna post something that I actually care about changing if need be, because correcting pixel art you've already made is one step to improving and learning from your mistakes. From one who knows! Also, the whole point of this section of TSR is to get crits on mainly individual pieces; after all, just posting a gallery expecting nothing but compliments is going to get you nowhere, both with the thread and with improving your art skills.

But sorry, I think I'm starting to derail the subject a little, here. I'll stop now.
[Image: BannerMain.gif]
Thanked by: Garamonde, Ploaj