Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sonic Pixel Art Scenes
[Image: tumblr_m52ceoDLhb1rx3nn7o1_400.png]
Memories
Angel Island Zone 1 sprites ripped by Skylights, Shadow Advance style sprites made by Domenico, Maria sprites created by Shadow+Maria-Lover, (how appropriate) and the background is from Stardust speedway and ripped by Heavy Megatal. I created the border and arranged the sprites.

[Image: tumblr_m52ahrkOVF1rx3nn7o1_400.png]
I will save you
Yay, Sonamy!
I don’t know why or where she’s falling. Or where Sonic jumped from, gah.
Sonic, Amy Rose, Tornado plane and Tails sprites all ripped by Daniel Sydney. The background is from Sonic Advance 2, and was ripped by Zero the hedgehog. I created the border and arranged the sprites.

[Image: tumblr_m529numhLb1rx3nn7o1_1280.png]
I thought I was finished with you
So Knuckles is retrieving his waifu/Master Emerald from some temple someplace (God knows how it got there) and then Rouge shows up because she needs a gemstone for an earring and the master emerald is just the right size for her enormous bat ears (boobs). Or something. The robot lost a Yo Momma contest to Knuckles because Knuckles pointed out that the robot’s mom sucked so much she didn’t even exist and then it imploded so many run-on sentences.
Rouge advance-style sprites created by Zig Sonar, the Knuckles sprites were ripped by Daniel Sidney, and the smashed Eggrobo was ripped by Supachao. The background has vanished from my computer and I can’t remember which game its from…help, anyone?

[Image: tumblr_m528ez4Kv11rx3nn7o1_r1_400.png]
Burning for you
Mind-control, anguish. Eggman Nega, Blaze, grievous injuries, all just another day in the life of Silver the hedgehog.
The background is made from Angel Island Zone part one and two. The Blaze sprites were ripped by ShadowTails, the Silver advance sprites were made by Master, and the Eggman Nega sprites were created by GreenSigmaTH.
Thanked by:
The Spriting & Pixel Art section is for your own sprites you created.
Move to Creativity (not saying it's creative, though).

Taking sprites and backgrounds and putting them together is something anyone can do so I don't really know what to say.

Oh well.

When you do such things (whyever you would), please don't use different pixel sizes. It looks weird how you have these 2x scaled Sonic and Girl on the first picture and then those weird "glow blur" (which could have been done better without emphasizing the pixel steps; it looks really blocky).

Your borders look awful as they're just gradients going from the outside to the inside... No point in making borders with no effort when you could just as well not use any and it wouldn't make much of a difference to the piece of "work" you have there.

These scenes you made have a lot of "empty" space. The falling Sonics in the second one for example could go with much less bare rock surface towards the bottom of the picture (as in, cut the height). Same for the third where you have a lot of blank wall and only little space taken up by characters.

Maybe someone else has more to say about how you could improve the genral layout and add more action and tension between characters or whatnot.

Now that last one you just edited in is something that should've went into Spriting & Pixel art in a seperate topic. I split it for you.
Thanked by: Gwen
(07-05-2012, 05:00 AM)Previous Wrote: The Spriting & Pixel Art section is for your own sprites you created.
Move to Creativity (not saying it's creative, though).

Taking sprites and backgrounds and putting them together is something anyone can do so I don't really know what to say.

Oh well.

When you do such things (whyever you would), please don't use different pixel sizes. It looks weird how you have these 2x scaled Sonic and Girl on the first picture and then those weird "glow blur" (which could have been done better without emphasizing the pixel steps; it looks really blocky).

Your borders look awful as they're just gradients going from the outside to the inside... No point in making borders with no effort when you could just as well not use any and it wouldn't make much of a difference to the piece of "work" you have there.

These scenes you made have a lot of "empty" space. The falling Sonics in the second one for example could go with much less bare rock surface towards the bottom of the picture (as in, cut the height). Same for the third where you have a lot of blank wall and only little space taken up by characters.

Maybe someone else has more to say about how you could improve the genral layout and add more action and tension between characters or whatnot.

Now that last one you just edited in is something that should've went into Spriting & Pixel art in a seperate topic.

The first one, I didn't know how to make glow effects outside of MSpaint, so there's that. The differing sizes do look strange, though.

More compact, that makes sense. In the second it's supposed to emphasize how far she's falling, but I guess I failed.

The borders, you're right, they are lazy. I don't know about outright ugly, but they could be better.

I guess the fourth is fine, then? And thank you for the split, I'm noobish, sorry.
Thanked by:
[Image: iNAol.png]
Guess what I used? Paint!
Rushed a bit, but I suppose you see that one can make it smoother than you did. You just followed the lines and drew lines around lines.
However, blurs almost always look awkward.

To show how far they fall, you could increase the distance they already fell (as in, place them further down). I still think you could easily cut off about 150 pixels, though.

Oh, another thing. When you want to make such scene graphics with pasted sprites, you could make them much better if you'd tweak them to properly interact with their surroundings. In a game where the sprites move around over different backgrounds etc that's not possible, but when you make a still scene, you could. For example, have the pink Sonic in the secont picture be illuminated by the red shine of the lava below.

As for the fourth picture, you could apply the same split you made on the floor to the background tom emphasize the split between the good and evil characters.
Thanked by:
Finally, as much as Previous is giving you solid advice, the best one is not to make this kind of stuff at all. Pasting sprites over backgrounds is not 'work', especially if you use an overused-as-hell style as Sonic Advance.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
(07-05-2012, 06:45 AM)Gors Wrote: Finally, as much as Previous is giving you solid advice, the best one is not to make this kind of stuff at all. Pasting sprites over backgrounds is not 'work', especially if you use an overused-as-hell style as Sonic Advance.

Alright then. Should I just delete the thread? If it's not good enough to show off, then I'll get rid of it all.
What other sprite styles would you recommend?
Thanked by:
(07-05-2012, 07:00 AM)Nackthedarnweasel Wrote: What other sprite styles would you recommend?

How about your own sprite style? Edits, splicing, and other general lazyness are looked on very
poorly here; any one can do those things, and they always look sloppy. If you've posted here
in hopes that everyone would simply applaud your work and tell you how great it is, you've came
to the wrong place.

All that said, you have a wealth of reference here, and a bounty of knowledge that the other spriters here are
willing to share, if you put the effort in and attempt something that is uniquely your own. We have a
Spriter's Dictionary here on site that will help you to understand the basics,
and several links to others that will help in the same thread. Take some time to read, look, and experiement,
and when you think you've made something worth showing, please feel free to show it here for critque,
because that is the very point of this part of the forum.

EDIT: I've seen that you've already made a new thread with original content, before I posted this. My points still stand though.
[Image: 22610_s.gif]

All right, I understand now. I didn't know that was so frowned upon here. I have little artistic talent, and you're right, I was looking for an ego-stroking.
The least I can do now is admit it, practice, and try to create something new.

I won't be here for a while, though, I have put-off summer reading to finish and spriting to try.
And the good new member comeback award goes to...

No seriously, I've yet to see such mature and thought out response by someone who does Sonic Advance copy-pasta.
~~LOVE~~ 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.
[Image: mousey.gif]
Makes no sense to go all 'tard rage' or whatever when I'm in the wrong. I might as well take a deep breath and reply gracefully.
Just take some time making your own sprites from scratch and post 'em in the spriting and pixelart section. We will be glad to give you some C+C on your work.
[Image: tumblr_mzx6bm02eC1s38z45o1_500.gif]
Anonymous Wrote:...the world is so much simpler if you just dont give a FUCK...
Thanked by: Nackthedarnweasel