Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Best unused graphics and features of games.
I'm looking to put a video series together documenting things that were left out of the final releases of several games, as they proved to be very popular when I discovered a number of things from Catherine.

Let me know what you guys have seen, heard or discovered, and let me know which you think are the most notably interesting!

So, I've made a video about Mother 3's debug room, unused cutscenes, unused Giygas battles, and weird unused sprites.
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by: Baegal
I find out a few days ago that with World of Goo, "two thirds of the levels Kyle and Ron created never made it into the final game". That probably includes the unreleased sixth chapter, "Moon of Goo".

I still have to get round to contacting them about that actually, now that I think about it.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
My favorite would have to be the Cameo appearances from Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. Various Nintendo characters like Fox, Wario, Olimar, Samus, etc. would come into the Coffee shop and have coffee, but they replaced it with E. Gadd doing all the things. There's a whole list of the dialogue somewhere, but I can't remember where exactly.
(06-28-2012, 12:38 PM)Trollerskates Wrote: My favorite would have to be the Cameo appearances from Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. Various Nintendo characters like Fox, Wario, Olimar, Samus, etc. would come into the Coffee shop and have coffee, but they replaced it with E. Gadd doing all the things. There's a whole list of the dialogue somewhere, but I can't remember where exactly.

I did not know that.

Not heard of any un-used Catherine things (except a few lines) but then again not really looked into it as I'm currently doing a trophy run through it.

Not sure how interesting it is but Ninja Gaiden 3 has some unused enemies in it. And then there's that mysterious big fish in Metal Slug (first one) that is no where in the game. Things like the unused giant parachute and other things have been pretty well documented (I think it's Random HooHaas or something that has a whole site about it) but I've never seen that fish mentioned anywhere.

Marvel Land (Arcade) also has quite a bit of unused stuff knocking about in it's tiles.
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
Thanked by:
I found the dialogue from those M&L Scenes: http://themushroomkingdom.net/mlss_lost.shtml
If you want, you could even look at the original graphics that were gonna be used. They're on the site, you know. Wink http://www.spriters-resource.com/gameboy...heet/27639
Mega Man Battle Network as a series does have some unused stuff. I have yet to see an unused stuff in doujins though, now that will be a sight to see.
Thanked by: Garamonde
Doesn't Prime 2 have a unused Kraid in it? Kinda sure it does, but been some time.
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
Thanked by:
(06-28-2012, 01:56 PM)Goemar Wrote: Doesn't Prime 2 have a unused Kraid in it? Kinda sure it does, but been some time.

Prime 1 did... Prime 2 had an unused Dark Ridley design. Not sure about Kraid.
[Image: StickerStageItems.png]
Check out this review blog thing I do! Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch was the latest review!
Thanked by:
Well Paper Mario TTYD has a bunch of unused stuff, incluiding cameos from almost all of mario's crew in the first game !
http://www.mariowiki.com/Paper_Mario:_Th...a_elements
[Image: Goombario.png][Image: Kooper.png][Image: Bombette_TTYD.png][Image: Wattpm2.png][Image: 120px-Sushie_sprite.png][Image: Beta_Partner_Lakilester.png]
[Image: E3DU8rS.png]
Reference
♥ ♥ ♥ LOVE ♥ ♥ ♥
Omega ; Phant Mmkay ; Baegal ; Gorsal ; Drakocat ; Chaoxys ; TomGuyCott ; Chris2balls ; Mighty Jetters ; Blueblur97 ; NICKtendo DS ;
Kachua (Secret Santa) ; and some more that i need to locate, save and link onto here
There are some sequences from Majora's Mask of the great fairy teaching link how to perform some of the magical attacks she grants him, instead of just his being able to do it automatically.

There's also a few things from the beta versions of Ocarina of Time that I found interesting and some other people might, too. They apparently scrapped some female character that was supposedly going to be important to the plot, but the model remained in the final release.
Thanked by:
Here's a few that I'm aware of off the top of my head:

-Possible unused ending for Symphony of the Night on PS1, where if you listened to the CD tracks (I forget which number) there's dialogue sequences that seem to be used for endings that never really happened.

-Banjo Tooie apparently had a feature in its Beta stage where Bottles, who dies, comes back as a devil, and the second player actually gets to control enemies on screen that Bottles possesses. It was kind of a dickish co-op mode.

-The unused Koopalings from Super Princess Peach were pretty cool graphics. So were the unused bosses like Crocomire from Metroid Zero Mission.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of right now.

EDIT:
-Forgot the dummied out Czar Dragon from Final Fantasy 6, which became a powerful optional boss in a new dungeon in the GBA remake.
Thanked by: Tellis, Gaia
You can access the Devil Bottles gameplay with a ROM and an emulator with cheats. It's interesting. I took some screenshots a while back, I'll see if I can find them.

Edit: All that survived:

[Image: evilbottles.png]

[Image: evilbottlesrender.png]
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
Sonic Unleashed hidden stages

This could be in-game secrets, but there were entire stages hidden within some of the original night stages of Sonic Unleashed. They can only be accessed through glitches or using your Unleashed guage to do the flying werehog trick. I foung this to be interesting because some of these hidden spots make a reference to previous games (such as the one in Adabat making a reference to section 2 of Lost World in Sonic Adventure). A few of these hidden stages even have goal rings! Some of these were made into DLC's, but it shows that they were planning more for Sonic Unleashed.
[Image: tumblr_mzx6bm02eC1s38z45o1_500.gif]
Anonymous Wrote:...the world is so much simpler if you just dont give a FUCK...
Obviously Stop N Swop is perhaps the greatest unused feature of all, only because it created such a HUGE legacy.

In Fallout 2 there were missions and followers that got cut from the game. The Tribal follower you get in the first town talks about how his sister was kidnapped by slavers and asks you to help. You were supposed to be able to go to a slaver camp and rescue her, then take them both back to a tribal village. The mission, camp and village were all cut from the game.
There was some other mission half coded about two gangs at war with eachother but they never finished it off, apparently some unique items for it still exist in the item list of the game. Can't remember much more about that.

And in Sonic 2, there were some zones that were being developed but then weren't put into the final game. Hidden Palace was one, but there was another one set in the woods ands another Snow zone that I can't quite remember the names of.

Some things to investigate anyway.
Thanked by: