Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Roencia Indie Graphics Builder
HI,

I'm new to the forum, but not new to spriting Smile If you want to create some games, I design assets for indie and casual game developers. I'm putting together a bundle of 5000+ images. You can see it here: Indie Graphics Builder I'm using kickstarter to fund my project.

EDIT: Take note that some of the images are missing finer details. Also, this is a work in progress and not yet a finished product. There are more than one style being applied to the content of the pack.

The official webpage is up at: Homepage

The idea is to give more creative flexibility for gamers to build their own scenes, spaceships, interface, etc... Take a look at some crafted images below:

[Image: sample3mini.jpg]

[Image: minisam1.jpg]

[Image: minisam2.jpg]

[Image: minisam3.jpg]
Thanked by:
Moved to GameDev.

If you really want to make something like this, it would really help if all of your art was in a unified style that didn't clash.

I mean, look at this:
[Image: sample1mini.jpg]

Everything in that image clashes. The bridge on the left is nowhere near the same style as the ground tileset which is nowhere near the same style as the other bridge on the right. Which is nowhere near the same style as anything else.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
(06-26-2012, 04:34 PM)Vipershark Wrote: Moved to GameDev.

If you really want to make something like this, it would really help if all of your art was in a unified style that didn't clash.

Everything in that image clashes...

Yes, somethings in the image do clash, but not everything in every image does. The package is not complete. When the project is finished (I'm aiming for September), everything will be 99% clash free Wink

If you have any other questions or concerns I'd be happy to answer them.

EDIT: I was wondering, is there anything in the RPG Pict. or the spaceships that you see clashing?
Thanked by:
The spaceships don't appear to clash (but that's just because they've been downsized and I can't see all the detail) but either way I'm not a fan of that graphical style at all because it makes everything look like a flash game.

Could you post them in bigger (aka full) sizes, please?

Same with the RPG tileset. It seems fine (for an incomplete set) at that small size, but I can't see any of the detail or lack thereof because it's been resized.
Thanked by:
I'll get some larger images uploaded soon to replace the ones above. I don't know what you mean by "Incomplete Set", I'd have to post a dozen more images to show most of the contents that are RPG, let alone all the images that are in the Graphic Builder Pack. I have a video & webpage explaining the whole thing in the links I gave. We are talking 5000+ images here that give creative freedom. Some image sets are in different styles and won't look good together. There is also pixel art included in the pack that wouldn't go good with my posted images.

Be careful of jumping to conclusions based off the starter post, this is deeper than a first impression.
Thanked by:
(06-26-2012, 05:45 PM)Roencia Wrote: Be careful of jumping to conclusions based off the starter post, this is deeper than a first impression.
That's why you should be careful when planning out said post. What you put in there is what people will see. Link's don't count, noone wants to follow a link just to check if the information given in the post was insufficient.

As for your RPG image, the trees and bushes do not match the style of the houses or well, bridge and fruit basket thingys or flower pots.

My general advice for such programs as yours would be not to include graphics directly in the program, but to make graphic packs instead. Each of these packs for itself should by in uniform style but different packs may clash. Then you'd distribute some packs with the program and others seperately - you could even have a graphics pack generator so other prople not directly involved could make some for use with yout program.

You also should have plenty of export options, like exporting as a picture (PNG) or as (eg XML) files describing the layout, things like that. This way, people could use content generated with your program conveniently in their games.
Thanked by: Gors
Can you repost the ships and the RPG tileset at the full size that you did earlier, please?
Thanked by:
(06-27-2012, 12:27 AM)Previous Wrote:
(06-26-2012, 05:45 PM)Roencia Wrote: Be careful of jumping to conclusions based off the starter post, this is deeper than a first impression.
That's why you should be careful when planning out said post. What you put in there is what people will see. Link's don't count, noone wants to follow a link just to check if the information given in the post was insufficient.

As for your RPG image, the trees and bushes do not match the style of the houses or well, bridge and fruit basket thingys or flower pots.

My general advice for such programs as yours would be not to include graphics directly in the program...

Hi,

I guess I'm just surprised at all the negative criticism. It seems unless everything is done perfectly I get nothing but negative attacks. This must happen daily all over this forum, cause I can't be the only one that has ever made a mistake. I'm almost considering scrapping this topic, and starting a new one.

As for the RPG image, I changed it for you. You may not have noticed, but on the original image there was that same spot that said, "Vector Trees." I put that in there, cause I knew someone would have the same concern as you that things didn't match. I put the other trees in there cause I liked them better. A personal choice that was not right for everyone.

Thanks for your advice, but this is not a program I'm developing. It's a bundle of 5000+ images used to help others in game development. The files supported are .gif, .png, and .psd.

For a person that can't find a job in this economy I'm trying to find other ways to pay the bills. I'm spending 12 hour days making graphics upon graphics and then, I'm giving them away for $79. My calculator points out to me that it means I make .015 cents per graphic I make. So I make a little over 1/10 a penny for every 30 minutes of work I do.

All I want is a chance to show people what I'm making and that they can build graphics (because a lot of these sprites are made that way), put them in their games Royalty Free. They are not ripped off too, so they can sell the games if they want and I'll even help them sell their games with a supporting community and online store.

You've got to admit that's a pretty good investment.

[Image: sample7.jpg]
[Image: sample8.jpg]
Thanked by:
(06-27-2012, 10:27 AM)Roencia Wrote: I guess I'm just surprised at all the negative criticism. It seems unless everything is done perfectly I get nothing but negative attacks.
no criticism is negative
all criticism is useful

insults are negative
there have been none of those
attacks are negative
(06-27-2012, 10:53 AM)xXx HtE xXx Wrote:
(06-27-2012, 10:27 AM)Roencia Wrote: I guess I'm just surprised at all the negative criticism. It seems unless everything is done perfectly I get nothing but negative attacks.
no criticism is negative
all criticism is useful

insults are negative
attacks are negative

I don't see any insults either and attack may have been the wrong word to use. As far as criticism, this is negative criticism, "the trees and bushes do not match the style of the houses or well, bridge and fruit basket thingys or flower pots."

This is positive criticism, "I think your spaceships look really detailed and I like the rpg design, but I noticed the trees don't match with the style of the houses or well, bridge and fruit basket thingys or flower pots. Make sure to draw your trees in the same program/style. Otherwise, the images will clash."

One way is helpful with advice, and the other just points out what you are doing wrong.
Thanked by:
(06-27-2012, 10:27 AM)Roencia Wrote: Thanks for your advice, but this is not a program I'm developing. It's a bundle of 5000+ images used to help others in game development.
By calling it a "Builder" and posting it in our GameDev-Section you implied that it is a program.
This forum section isn't meant for graphics and graphics set, but for...
(11-29-2011, 02:00 PM)Gors Wrote: WHAT IS ALLOWED IN THE GAME DEV SECTION?
  • Original Games
  • Fangames
  • Programs and Applications (gif animator, image editor, music maker, etc)
  • Romhacks, IPS patches, etc
  • Game Mods and Custom Maps, etc
  • Open Source Code

However, HtE is still right, there is no "negative" ciricism. Here on TSR, we tend to point out your flaws first as those are the things that need to be fixed to improve your work. You'd know that if you had read the rules.

(11-29-2011, 02:00 PM)Gors Wrote: 3. Everything posted here is prone to criticism.
People will give C+C on your work, so don't go apeshit if you don't get the sugarcoating you wanted. Consider this a way to promote your game; we’re giving you advice on how to improve here and make your game the best it can be.
(Applies to non-game content, too)

tl;dr we're not attacking you, we're telling you what's wrong with your work so you can improve it.

Moved the thread to Creativity as it isn't a real GameDev topic and not Pixel Art, either.
Thanked by:
I didn't post this in the Game Development section. The other moderator moved it from the sprite section. I did read the rules, unfortunately it was in the section I originally posted the topic. The rule you posted as an example, is not in this forum.

Spriting & Pixelart Rules

I was giving critique to you and the other guy just the same as you gave me. There is a thing such as negative criticism & critique:

1) How exactly people go about criticizing, can vary a great deal.
2) Criticism is often presented as something unpleasant, but it need not be.

There are wiki's and definitions that disagree strongly to the statement, "There is no negative criticism." A quick Google search or dictionary reveals this.

EDIT: I called it Indie Graphics Builder, because that's what you do in the pack. You create/build your own sprites. It's not just a pack of assets. Builder is a word I've used several times in the past year. Check out my site http://www.graphicsforgames.com to confirm.
Thanked by:
Quote:I don't see any insults either and attack may have been the wrong word to use. As far as criticism, this is negative criticism, "the trees and bushes do not match the style of the houses or well, bridge and fruit basket thingys or flower pots."

This is positive criticism, "I think your spaceships look really detailed and I like the rpg design, but I noticed the trees don't match with the style of the houses or well, bridge and fruit basket thingys or flower pots. Make sure to draw your trees in the same program/style. Otherwise, the images will clash."

One way is helpful with advice, and the other just points out what you are doing wrong.

and what's your point

It doesn't matter if you're getting negative or positive criticsm. What matters the most is if you're reading them, analyzing them AND fixing what you're supposed to fix. What xXx HtE xXx meant is that we've been helping you since the start of the thread and all what we told you to do didn't happen yet. We don't get 'upset' (for the lack of a better word) for nothing.

Pointing what you're doing wrong IS also helping. If you know the wrong things, then you'll surely know how to fix them; have some self-criticism and figure them out. We aren't supposed to spoon-feed you all the errors you've got anyway.

Adding positive remarks on criticism is not a big deal either, so your "argument", if I can call it so, is flawed. You don't need a pat on the head for every thing you did right in order to make the criticism valid.

We, in tSR, give direct, concise criticsm without filling them with compliments. Of course, compliments are nice to receive, but that's not our goal here. Our goal here is to make you realize what parts need work, and to do that, no compliments are necessary.

so don't get sad and/or ignore criticism just because a 'good job' wasn't on the post. We aren't being dicks to you in any of the posts, no need to flip out~
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
(06-27-2012, 12:01 PM)Gors Wrote: and what's your point

It doesn't matter if you're getting negative or positive criticsm. What matters the most is if you're reading them, analyzing them AND fixing what you're supposed to fix. What xXx HtE xXx meant is that we've been helping you since the start of the thread and all what we told you to do didn't happen yet. We don't get 'upset' (for the lack of a better word) for nothing.

Pointing what you're doing wrong IS also helping. If you know the wrong things, then you'll surely know how to fix them; have some self-criticism and figure them out. We aren't supposed to spoon-feed you all the errors you've got anyway.

Adding positive remarks on criticism is not a big deal either, so your "argument", if I can call it so, is flawed. You don't need a pat on the head for every thing you did right in order to make the criticism valid.

We, in tSR, give direct, concise criticsm without filling them with compliments. Of course, compliments are nice to receive, but that's not our goal here. Our goal here is to make you realize what parts need work, and to do that, no compliments are necessary.

so don't get sad and/or ignore criticism just because a 'good job' wasn't on the post. We aren't being dicks to you in any of the posts, no need to flip out~

I agree with almost all of what you said. Except that, "what we told you to do didn't happen yet". I've changed the post several times and fixed everything they told me to, what else can I do if nobody is noticing this?

It's hard to understand the way someone is speaking in text words. I don't think anyone has been ....(that word you used). Again on the defense, and that I'm not flipping out, or pulling out my hair, or anything like that. I've been cool and collected the whole time. I am an individual who has his own thoughts and opinions and expresses them just like you.

There are some things I've said where I realize I took things the wrong way. I proudly admit that. But I've changed everything that was critiqued of me, so there shouldn't be continuous problems.
Thanked by:
(06-27-2012, 12:13 PM)Roencia Wrote: I agree with almost all of what you said. Except that, "what we told you to do didn't happen yet". I've changed the post several times and fixed everything they told me to, what else can I do if nobody is noticing this?

Really because all I have seen you do in this thread is trying to defend it completely.

It's hard to understand the way someone is speaking in text words. I don't think anyone has been ....(that word you used). Again on the defense, and that I'm not flipping out, or pulling out my hair, or anything like that. I've been cool and collected the whole time. I am an individual who has his own thoughts and opinions and expresses them just like you.

While there isn't anything wrong with that you should at least try not to make a big deal of it, It's one thing to be calm, and that's good and all. But when you are going to be defensive here it's not going to get anyone anywhere regardless of who is more calm.

Don't get me wrong for getting on your case or anything like that. I certainly see that your not really well adjusted to how we handle things in regards to criticism or what not. I'm merely posting this for your future reference.

Just another thing that I think needs to be pointed out is that while I agree that there is a such thing as negative criticism I don't think that has been going on here at all. I'm sure this has been touched upon slightly but how positive or negative a criticism is really depends on it's validity here, not how it's given out.

Positive criticism is where you're actually getting advice on how to improve your art. So if some one were to say "These trees would look better if they were actually shaded with a constant light source" That's positive criticism hands down. Even if you were to get a bit of sarcasm in there it would still be a valid point because it's still getting to the point. So if someone said "hey nice use of the inconsistent light sources on those trees, now get rid of it." It's still valid no matter how you look at it.

Negative criticism just doesn't have a point for the most part, and most of the time it's just a straight out insult like "man these trees suck you should probably stop spriting." then that's barely even criticism at all because you aren't pointing out what's wrong with them. On the flip side which I do see from time to time, just getting complements without giving some line of advice can be negative as well. Not to say that's bad but while it's nice and all getting complements you can't really expect that on all mediums in art anyway unless your in some community that worships Pokemon splices or Sonic edits, which resolves around ass kissing constantly. So if some one just randomly gave you a complement saying "Hey that's real nice I would love to see more from you." or "Oh hey this is good but I think you can do better" I would say that's negative as well because you're not giving much advice but complements which practically encourage you to make the same things without any significant improvement or giving little advice as well.

In a nutshell, we value criticism that gives advice. That's what most of us would consider positive regardless of how the said advice is put. I hope this wall of text does clarify a few things and I hope you do stick with the community in the future.
Discord is Dioshiba#9513