Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Original pixel animations for upcoming title
[Image: auro_monsters__foxy_m_a_m_a__by_picklestork-d4ozrp2.gif]

[Image: FJRll.gif]

[Image: gDPDG.gif]

[Image: cSR0j.gif]

[Image: Byszi.gif]

[Image: kKEBZ.gif]

Hello everyone! Like what you see? These are a few of the many animations featured in the upcoming cross-platform tactics game, "Auro."

I am Blake, the lead artist and this is very much a labor of love for DinofarmGames, the developers who brought you the popular iOS game, "100 rogues."

This is the culmination of months of work with no backing, and we now have the opportunity to finish this game as the polished, commercial-grade product it deserves to be.

If you like how this is coming along and you want to know more about this original tactics game, please, please show your support for your fellow indie developers by visiting our kickstarter page.

The more support we get, the more we can continue to pay our coder to refine the software and work to implement the design tweaks and features which evolve from playtesting, and the more tilesets, effects, animations and music I can produce alongside our lead designer.

As you know, pixel art is a very time consuming, labor intensive process. But I really believe in this project and I hope some of you will come to as well.

this is a really special game. If you don't wish to pledge, sharing on facebook would be a huge favor and we at Dinofarm Games appreciate every bit of your time.

thank you, please enjoy!

Auro's Kickstarter!
ridiculous boob physics on the 1st one

3rd one is... disturbing

5th has weird shading (not exactly pillowshading, but...)

Could you show these at 1x scale ? There's a lot of selout on these, and I'd like to see how they look at 1x, cause the selout definitely doesn't work at 2x
[Image: E3DU8rS.png]
Reference
♥ ♥ ♥ LOVE ♥ ♥ ♥
Omega ; Phant Mmkay ; Baegal ; Gorsal ; Drakocat ; Chaoxys ; TomGuyCott ; Chris2balls ; Mighty Jetters ; Blueblur97 ; NICKtendo DS ;
Kachua (Secret Santa) ; and some more that i need to locate, save and link onto here
Thanked by:
(06-16-2012, 03:57 PM)Lexou Duck Wrote: ridiculous boob physics on the 1st one

3rd one is... disturbing

5th has weird shading (not exactly pillowshading, but...)

Could you show these at 1x scale ? There's a lot of selout on these, and I'd like to see how they look at 1x, cause the selout definitely doesn't work at 2x

I don't have 1x versions uploaded, unfortunately. These are actually 3x, not 2. They are pretty big sprites. I made them to look passable at 2 and 3x, but certainly high fidelity at 1. I'm sorry if you don't like them. I'm a self taught artist.

if you look at alpha footage in our kickstarter video you can see them at 1x. Though the video isn't very high def.
Thanked by:
i do like them, they're quite all right !
but you should know that when you post sprites on this site, it's to get criticism, so you can improve them Smile
Reference
♥ ♥ ♥ LOVE ♥ ♥ ♥
Omega ; Phant Mmkay ; Baegal ; Gorsal ; Drakocat ; Chaoxys ; TomGuyCott ; Chris2balls ; Mighty Jetters ; Blueblur97 ; NICKtendo DS ;
Kachua (Secret Santa) ; and some more that i need to locate, save and link onto here
Thanked by:
(06-16-2012, 05:43 PM)Lexou Duck Wrote: i do like them, they're quite all right !
but you should know that when you post sprites on this site, it's to get criticism, so you can improve them Smile

Oh i'm all for constructive criticism. But "the selout isn't 'working" is hardly constructive. Why isn't it "working?" What do you mean by that? How do you think these sprites could be improved specifically?
Thanked by:
(06-16-2012, 07:01 PM)Blake.Reynolds Wrote: Oh i'm all for constructive criticism. But "the selout isn't 'working" is hardly constructive. Why isn't it "working?" What do you mean by that? How do you think these sprites could be improved specifically?

i think lexou meant that selout doesnt look good if you upscale the sprites that much.
Thanked by: Ploaj, Lexou Duck
(06-16-2012, 07:11 PM)alexmach1 Wrote:
(06-16-2012, 07:01 PM)Blake.Reynolds Wrote: Oh i'm all for constructive criticism. But "the selout isn't 'working" is hardly constructive. Why isn't it "working?" What do you mean by that? How do you think these sprites could be improved specifically?

i think lexou meant that selout doesnt look good if you upscale the sprites that much.

Oh I see. Well, I magnified them just for preview purposes. Obviously they will be 1x in game. I hope you enjoy them. Check out our video if the game's look intrigues you. I promise it'll be unlike anything you've ever played.
Thanked by:
Hey guys, I'm the lead designer on AURO. If you wanna see the sprites in action, there's a ton of gameplay footage from our alpha version in our Kickstarter video, located here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dino...auro/posts

Enjoy, hopefully Blake can get some more specific feedback after you've seen it in action?

-Keith
Thanked by:
I'd suggest you post this in the game development board or the sprites discussion board!
Which would you prefer? I can move it for you Smile
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by:
The one i really have problems with is the 3rd one actually

[Image: 6xH54.png]

1. the selout here is pretty strange, why have black on the borders of the outline ? it doesn't look very good

2. Since it's supposed to be a spherical shape, and the light source is in the top-left corner, you should make the shading fatter here, to make it really seem like a sphere, cause it's pretty flat atm.

3. that dark blue shade on the lance really doesn't work, change it to something way less saturated.

Also, you should either make the character darker, or the specular highlights brighter, cause you really can't notice them right now
Reference
♥ ♥ ♥ LOVE ♥ ♥ ♥
Thanked by:
wow, what intelligent, thoughtful advice! Thank you SO much for your time!
Thanked by:
yeah, those sprites are good, but what kills them the most is the abusive selout. Selout in a small quantity is fine, but the way you're doing here, with black pixels and all, is ugly, dirty and distracting. Pixelart is also making things readable, so you need to do your best at cleaning them.

Also I think this should be moved, like Dazz said. Which section would you prefer? This section here is mostly for ripped sprites to be submitted on the main site.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by:
(06-20-2012, 12:39 PM)Gors Wrote: yeah, those sprites are good, but what kills them the most is the abusive selout. Selout in a small quantity is fine, but the way you're doing here, with black pixels and all, is ugly, dirty and distracting. Pixelart is also making things readable, so you need to do your best at cleaning them.

Also I think this should be moved, like Dazz said. Which section would you prefer? This section here is mostly for ripped sprites to be submitted on the main site.

Wherever you think it's appropriate. I thought this was an appropriate place. Sorry if it's not.
Thanked by:
Sprites discussion board would probably be best, and thanks for the great feedback, Lexou! Any thoughts on the other sprites?
Thanked by: Lexou Duck
Moved to S&PA.

I remember these, someone posted them before.
If you could try to get the 1x versions of these uploaded as well, that'd be great.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by: