Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Crappy's Tiny Stuffs Place
general sprites thread: take 2
expect this to be updated even more sporadically than the beat 'em up thread

so i tried to make a Sonic??
[Image: 2RGgs.png]
this happened.

i was thinking i might redesign some guys and make a core cast of 7 (metal sonic, metal mighty, and metal ray [not shown] are all basically the same character), but i only really ended up redesigning Amy. i think the only reason she was designed with clothes was because the original designer didn't know how to make her feminine without giving her a dress.

(i think current character designers at Sonic Team have the same problem)

things i'm worried/unsure about:
-readability of ray's arm in front of his tail
-readability of metal sonic and metal mighty's hands behind their tummy hole things
-the color of metal mighty's eyes (they kind of blend in due to being a similar shade of red but other color eyes looked kind of funky on him)
-amy (though this is probably just my preconceptions about the character making it hard for me to accept change)
-is eggman's mustache big enough?

i would love some crits on these, especially for the stuff listed above.
Eggman's glasses seem kinda small. Try and increase the diameter by one pixel. other than that, they're great! Though I'd love to see Amy with some clothes. :/

EDIT: Also, Sonic's quills bend the wrong way. They should go down, not up.
Thanked by:
(06-02-2012, 02:00 PM)Virt the Fox Wrote: Sonic's quills bend the wrong way

nope nope nope, stylistic choice. i think having his spines angle up makes him look more built for speed, more aerodynamic, like he's been running so long that his spines just naturally stay in that position.

it also makes for a good contrast to amy, whose spines do flop down.

as for eggman's glasses...
[Image: ui0Z1.png]
i tried, but i don't think it looks very good.
Thanked by: Sevenstitch
I actually liked the first pass of Eggman, myself. I'm not sure who the second and third character
are, but thats simply because I haven't played a Sonic game since sonic 3. Oh, and i'm just
wondering, but why no Tails?
Thanked by:
http://info.sonicretro.org/Mighty_the_Armadillo
http://info.sonicretro.org/Ray_the_Flying_Squirrel

no tails because ray fulfills that role.

EDIT: mighty also fulfills knuckles's role, but only in playable form. knux is still around to be a dick to the trio at every opportunity.
Thanked by: Gaia, Sevenstitch, Garamonde
Ah yes, the good 'ol Triple Trouble-style plot. Still lives on to this day (fun fact: I consider Sonic Adventure 2 to be the console/modern version of Triple Trouble due to the similar plot devices)~
Thanked by:
[Image: PGLRF.png]
the humble beginnings of yet another not-green-hill zone.
Thanked by: recme, Previous, Gwen, Iceman404
The sprites and the background seem to meld in with one-another, try using a color the one that may (or may not) haven't been used yet.

Whoops, sorry. It's just me being an idiot and posting in the wrong topic, carry on!
Thanked by: Medevenx
moving conversation here so i don't crap up the NESprite topic

(06-05-2012, 08:52 PM)recolorme Wrote: Isn't mario's, or somari's mustache different than luigi's?

indeed it is! that's why i made it different.

here, have a luigi head for comparison.

[Image: S8Zih.png]

totally different. mario's is thicker immediately below the nose and isn't as pointed at the ends.
(06-05-2012, 09:03 PM)Crappy Blue Luigi Wrote: moving conversation here so i don't crap up the NESprite topic

(06-05-2012, 08:52 PM)recolorme Wrote: Isn't mario's, or somari's mustache different than luigi's?

indeed it is! that's why i made it different.

here, have a luigi head for comparison.

[Image: S8Zih.png]

totally different. mario's is thicker immediately below the nose and isn't as pointed at the ends.

I don't know.... I kind of liked the square nose better. Classic CBL Wink Yeah.... we tight
Thanked by: Crappy Blue Luigi
[Image: VanjG.png]
[Image: L0vkb.png]
check it: metal ray!
not too sure on this one. coming up with a robotic feature that looked sonic-y was kind of difficult, and i'm still not confident that i went in the right direction.

metal mighty and eggman are subtly different.

[Image: uQvZW.png]
pistachio plains zone??

anyway, i separated those 24x24 tiles into simpler 12x12 tiles. it's looking a lot more organized and flexible now.

i also made these slopey tiles. all i did was continually vertically skew the original grass tile by 6, 4, 3, 2, and then 1 pixel; really simple stuff. it starts looking a bit off at the 2 pixel skew. it'll do for now as an outline, but i'll need to make it grassier later.
There are some angles in your slope, like directly above the one larger dark square. You'll probably need a few more tweaked elements to get them more round, but it'll look much better especially in loopings.
Thanked by: Crappy Blue Luigi, Gaia
oh yeah, i totally get that this simplistic sloping style i've done isn't very smooth. i'll fix it up later.

[Image: FsIvI.png]
these are a some 16x16 gats & crap sprites i made for a Super Mario War graphics/map/music pack project i'm working on with gatsbuddy. ain't they cute?
(06-10-2012, 08:40 PM)Crappy Blue Luigi Wrote: oh yeah, i totally get that this simplistic sloping style i've done isn't very smooth. i'll fix it up later.

[Image: FsIvI.png]
these are a some 16x16 gats & crap sprites i made for a Super Mario War graphics/map/music pack project i'm working on with gatsbuddy. ain't they cute?
oh mamma, i gotta remember to save these for when the Java release comes out.
That is so weird, I just redownloaded SMW earlier today. I wouldn't mind a copy of whatever you guys come up with.
[Image: 22610_s.gif]