Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
LCV Custom sprites
Here PharaohMan custom sprite sheet.
[Image: pharaoh_man_custom_sprite_sheet_by_littl...4uv34w.png]
I revamped it from NES Megaman 4 to Sega Genesis megaman willy wars style.
Need MegaMan classic sprites revamped in Sega Genesis style, ask me and ill try to do it...
Thanked by:
if you recolored a NES sprite, then it is not custom. Why do people mess up a lot at 'custom''s definition, gosh

also there's little to be said here because it's just a simple shading job.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
(04-02-2012, 09:16 AM)Gors Wrote: if you recolored a NES sprite, then it is not custom. Why do people mess up a lot at 'custom''s definition, gosh

i guess you have never played nes megaman and sega genesis megaman.
Do you?
Need MegaMan classic sprites revamped in Sega Genesis style, ask me and ill try to do it...
Thanked by:
(04-02-2012, 10:12 AM)LittleCrimsonVampire Wrote:
(04-02-2012, 09:16 AM)Gors Wrote: if you recolored a NES sprite, then it is not custom. Why do people mess up a lot at 'custom''s definition, gosh

i guess you have never played nes megaman and sega genesis megaman.
Do you?

That is not how you respond to that comment. There's two reasons why: First, having played or not played a game has very little to do with whether or not its a reshaded sprite. Secondly, it gives off a very bad impression around here. You would be better off carefully and politely explaining for what purpose you reshaded this sprite and whether or not you would like help improving its quality.

(Also: I think there's something off about the shading that I can't quite place. I'll get back to you on this)

As for Gor's question: Most people associate custom with customize or custom cars which are closer to edits than scratchwork (to my knowledge at least). So its not all clear a term for a newbie to the jargon.
Okey, here. I have remade pharaoh man sprites from nes megaman 4 style (in which game pharaoh man is) to sega genesis megaman Willy wars style. Is that good explanation? This is not recoloured sprite.
About do you ever have been playing megaman, its because, so might he know differences between sprites.
Thanked by:
(04-02-2012, 10:46 AM)LittleCrimsonVampire Wrote: Okey, here. I have remade pharaoh man sprites from nes megaman 4 style (in which game pharaoh man is) to sega genesis megaman Willy wars style. Is that good explanation? This is not recoloured sprite.
About do you ever have been playing megaman, its because, so might he know differences between sprites.

I think I need to clarify a few things. From my impressions, most of the community here are actually more concerned with helping people become better spriters than helping people make better sprites.
Giving advice on how to make sprites better is just part of the process, and the resulting higher quality sprites are a side effect.

I know that's probably a little confusing, but it basically means that when they see what looks like you aren't flexing your creative talents very much, they think "What do you want me to do with this thing?"

You've shown us what looks like you took MM4 pharoah man's sheet and added more colors and shading until it looks like it came from the Wily Wars game. I'm certain Gors knows this and that its not a "just change one color into another color" recolor, but since its (usually) almost as simple to throw more shading onto an 8-bit as a recolor, he still called it as such.

And since its that simple, there's not too much point in telling you how to improve the sprite, unless you specifically ask for help in that regard.

So sometimes it helps if you explain why you are showing us some sprites.
(at the very least it will help us sort out between those requiring assistance and those just showing things)
Thanked by: Garamonde, PrettyNier
That what has to be changed is your credits tag.
This is not a custom, nor an edit. The line-art is as good as the same.
Also, give credit to the one who ripped the original sprites. It's a little unfair to claim this as yours while all you did was shade it. Even in my Mario Kart edits (yes, I call them edits), where the character in the kart is done from scratch, I still give credit to Raccoon Sam for the original sprite he ripped.

Also, I haven't played MM4 (I played 3 tho) nor Wily Wars, I know the sprite style of both, and chances are that Gors does too. The origin of the original sprite or style you're trying to achieve is irrelevant in this case, as it doesn't make it more custom, it's not.

The shading does look Wily Wars-ish, so that's a good thing. I suggest you try something from scratch, a real custom, and see where it goes. Perhaps you can make a Wily Wars style Mega Man ZX sprite for example.
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
My Game Maker games (Dropbox download links):

Thanked by: Garamonde
Since, Willy wars sprites are made from mm,mm2,mm3.
Iam done same thing.
I havent played megamanzx. So idont know much about it.
Classic megaman is my favourite.
You can find me on deviant art if you want by wroting my username.
Then youll get to know what spriter iam truly are
Thanked by:
You have got some quality custom sprites on your dA that are custom.
Why is Pharaoh Man the only one in the custom folder, while he isn't?

And yes, I know Wily Wars sprites are edited from NES sprites. Even if Capcom does it, doesn't make it custom. Just sayin'.

Thanked by:
(04-02-2012, 03:11 PM)NICKtendo DS Wrote: You have got some quality custom sprites on your dA that are custom.

And yes, I know Wily Wars sprites are edited from NES sprites. Even if Capcom does it, doesn't make it custom. Just sayin'.

pharaoh man sprite sheet is custom/edited by me.
Other one is my own sprites with my own design.
Some are megaman fan fiction, which made in my own versions.
Thanked by:
(04-02-2012, 03:16 PM)LittleCrimsonVampire Wrote:
(04-02-2012, 03:11 PM)NICKtendo DS Wrote: You have got some quality custom sprites on your dA that are custom.

pharaoh man sprite sheet is custom/edited by me.
Other one is my own sprites with my own design.
Some are megaman fan fiction, which made in my own versions.

1. No, it's not. I don't know how many times it takes for you to understand: It is NOT a custom, because it's not from scratch and it's NOT an edit, because you barely touched the lineart. It's a reshade. Capcom reshaded, so did you, and that's that.

2. The fact that some are your own design makes them custom, because you made them. This goes for your MM fan fic characters, because they are made from scratch. Everything on your dA is custom, except the one you claim is.

Thanked by:
If you want some game sprite to make in other game style, so how you would call it?
If its made from scratch then its custom?
As i know:
edited- when sprite is edited (like some frames)
revamp-when making better quality of sprite(or something like that)
custom-when you editing egzisting sprite in new, like dbz goke making in lf2 woody.
Recolor-recoloring.
Scratch- something from 0

Peoples i think you havent seen something which was wroted
[Image: pharaoh_man_custom_sprite_sheet_by_littl...4uv34w.png]
its custom/edited.
So whats problem with those things?
Thanked by:
Something from scratch is custom. Ask anyone here, they'll say the same.
What you've got here is a revamp at best. It's still just a shading job.

Also implying I did not read your credit tag? I posted critique on that thing. It'd be moronic of me to write feedback on something I did not see/read.

Custom = When making a sprite from scratch. Since it was made by you (or in collaboration), you can claim is 100%, except for ip/copyright when it's fan made.
Edit = Using an existing sprite as a base for something different, like turning Bowser into Eggman.
Revamp = A custom sprite, edit or (re)shaded sprite that is an improvement of an existing sprite.
Recolor = A sin.

taking a moment to read the Spriting Glossary/Dictionary, we can understand the diferent terms we use and accept on these boards towards how spritework is made, and how well accepted it is.

CUSTOM SPRITE- A custom sprite is basically a COMPLETELY NEW sprite; it doesn't use another sprite as a base. Notice that a sprite made in someone's style can still be custom, though, as long as it was designed all by yourself.
[Image: twilightcrescendo.png]

SPRITE EDIT- Sprite editing is when you get an already-made sprite and modify it. may it be an oficial sprite(from an existing game, published or not) or someone else's custom work. any work that starts from an already existing source would fall into this category.
[Image: Jin_Saotome_Sprite_Edit_by_Ninja_Master_Tommy.png]
Usually, sprite edits aren't welcome here because most of them are shitty. However, there's possibility to make a GOOD sprite edit. One tip on how to make a good sprite edit is to modify it a LOT until the original base is unrecognisable.
note: given the effort you would need to actually make a decent looking sprite edit, you might as well not do it and work on your own, custom work. Bear in mind, Custom spritework will always be superior to any sprite edit of any quality.

Here's an example of a decent edit, courtesy of ULTIMATE HAMMER BRO:
[Image: robotnikkart.png]
And this is a terrible piece of shit edit.
[Image: zombiewright.gif]

RECOLOR- Possibly the lamest thing concerning spriting. Recoloring is changing the sprite's colors, without modifying any pixel from it. "Reshading" and all its prosible variants are still recolors, and they all take the same amount of effort considering they are purely a shift in the colors of the original, existing palette(no, adding colors doesnt make it more elaborate)
[Image: sonicw.png]
This technique isn't well-seen here in tSR because it takes literally no effort to do.
It can have a decent use when making game graphics; You can use differently-colored sprites in RPGs (stronger monsters) or Fighting Games (alternate palette), but that's it.
to add to what you did here: you resized an existing sprite, added more colors based probably on the palette of the Willy Wars game, and thats all.

it would had any kind of merit if you actually gave better animations or better shading to the existing sprite, but that would be quite hard considering Willy Wars is an horrible game and an ode to recolors on its own.

the actual sprite work value on this is nowhere near being remarkable, besides not screwing up the existing shading when porting it to a more elaborated shading. however, i must warn you that this board's main purpose is to help sprites ontheir works in progress, and posting content purely for the sake of showcasing might not get you the results you are expecting. if you have something you're working on and need some feedback on how you can change/improve/fix it, feel free to do so. otherwise you might as well use a site for your display purposes -such as deviantart-

not to mention the amount of "custom" work is barely minimal, considering mos t of the bodypart were taken from other robot masters on the game.