Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
JoeButler's Sprites
I thought i would post a couple of sprites here, most of them being a character me and my brother came up with, which is basically a duck in a suit, so please give constructive critisms please.
[Image: HugeGeoff.png]
My first attempt at anything as large as 200x200 pixels
[Image: Geoff.gif]
Trying to make the character seem embaressed, like in manga/anime.
[Image: GeoofTheDuckIdle.gif]
Spriters Resource Idea, not planning to this guy through.
[Image: JoeButlerIdle.gif]
Basic Concept for JoeButler for the Spriters resource, based of Sols character, planning to make a proper version from scratch soon.
I'll try to get more stuff done, but i'm a bit busy with exams at the moment, so it may take a while before i do anything else than these.
Thanked by:
Question, is your duck guy an edit of Gor's character?
I ask because it looks very similar, pose and everything.
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]

Thanked by:
The Fighters resource guy yeah, i'll probably make him from scratch as well, but i did have an idea for the character to be like that before, but couldn't work out how to make him in that way.

I'll try and make original versions, but this was mainly a way of figuring out the character anatomy and proportions. the bottom half of him is was made from scratch though.
Thanked by: Shade
Heres the base sprite i'm hoping to work of, which i made my self.
[Image: Idle1.png]
Is there any anatomy problems i should fix before moving onto putting the characters detail in?
Thanked by:
I don't know about anatomy, but the pose is kind of boring, especially with his hands in the same position like that.
Thanked by: Garamonde
I love it Cute
Although, try making something more dynamic... Like SAMURAI. Nah, just kidding, but something other than standing like that. For instance, sitting with his hand on his knee, or running.
I am raising some creatures. Help them grow before they die.
[Image: UHkBj.gif] [Image: QHWDL.gif] My Pokemonz! [Image: dragonpixel_727016.png] [Image: 64295733&trans=1.jpg]
Were we arguing? I'm sorry. -Fluttershy
Thanked by:
Uhm.. that's for TFR, it'd make no sense for him to be sitting, and running would be a completely seperate animation than the base pose. Just saying Tongue
[Image: b6Bqjzn.gif]
Thanked by:
Actually, if he had a magical Chair of Ultimate Power, it would make sense for him to be sitting in it, I mostly agree with you, Argyle/Flannal/Action, but I like pointing out ways for things like that to work. Cute
[Image: Little_lamp_in_dark_room.jpg]

Thanked by:
I'm changing his near hand, but can't figure out a comfortable and natural combo for both of the hand in unison that i can sprite, but as flannel/radular/action pointed out, its for tFR. I'll try and give you guys a full set of base animations for you to critique soon.
Thanked by:
[Image: Forumpiece3.png]
Got distracted so didn't do any tFR, but i did do this duck, so some critique on him would be nice.
[Image: Forumpiece2.png]
Dito, him and Geoff(one above) are the ones i'd like specific critique on, please.
[Image: Forumpiece4.png]
meh. did him just to see what a duck in a suit, bowler hat and a monocle looks like.
Dam forgot his moustache.
Next sprite upload WILL have tFR basic sprites animations.
hopefully...
Thanked by:
Needs fewer gradients and higher contrast. Also, don't be afraid to hueshift some. Yellow, for example, should rarely be shaded with a darker tone of yellow, but with an orange or pink in certain circumstances if you know what you're doing.
Thanked by:
i'd like you to be more creative and have original characters not an edit of my own original character

is what I would say.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: AutumnSpire, Jawnsunn
The ducks where original characters.
The ones i have their i made from scratch, i had the idea before i actually joined the resource, but the original sprites where of such a low standard, i have never posted them. I don't like them.
I am planning on making the JoeButler character from scratch in a multiple different pose, and have an idea for several original characters, only one of which i think i'll be able to make soon so.
I have realised that edits don't teach you anything, other wise i would be a lot better than i am, plus it would be nice to have some original characters, like your bullethead characters and nicks bouncy cat characters.
I am workeing on, it and thanks for the feedback.
Thanked by:
I suggest you work on a darker background, preferably a desaturated colour: this way you can create contrast more easily. Your eye will calibrate the colours accordingly, as seen in your sprites on white backgrounds (low contrast but high value colours because of white).
The duck's bill looks unusually low and thin. I thought it was a yellow kiwi at first, that's how misleading it is.
Anyway, looking forward to more original sprites! Smile
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Thanked by:
there is no problem in having a duck as your ref, but it's kind of ..annoying to have it as an edit of my sprite. Try changing its design to be more unique, also make it look more like a duck. You can stylize animals, yes, but keep its key features or else no one will know which animal it's supposed to be.

for example, a duck has a wide bill, not a long, thin rectangle. There are other key features to be looked, but that's your job from now on.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: Iceman404