Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
just practice.
[Image: Qtuxr.png]

It was intensional to make it look like this.

any c+c?
[Image: XeE6VeC.gif]
Thanked by:
What are we supposed to crit?Blank
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]

Thanked by: Garamonde, Solink, Gwen
If it looks like what it's supposed to look like then I guess it's perfect at being what it is.

which is

um

a word.
Thanked by:
You kinda need to say a little bit more
The sprite is simply a banner with some pixel art letters, you said it was supposed to look like this, but look like what exactly?
To let us give you a good criticism, we need to understand what you wanted to do with this / where you wanted to take this to.
Or at least so in my opinion
Thanked by: Shade, Jawnsunn
Get some Linux (I suggest Ubunu/Xubuntu) and FontForge and make this a real computer font then we'll talk thank you! Genki ^_^
Thanked by:
My bad, I was in a hurry.

I didn't need help on looking up a font. I want crits on the word. like if there was any jaggies or somethin.
Thanked by:
could hardly tell. considering these are over a transparent background, it would depend entirely on the forum skin people is using.

on a dark background they would simply merge and disapear. if you want to use these as a test for readbility and technique, i sugest you using multiple backgrounds with multiple color sets for each one. otherwise, all we can say is that it just looks like a regular, non-antialiased text.
Thanked by:
(03-07-2012, 08:34 PM)Meta Wrote: could hardly tell. considering these are over a transparent background, it would depend entirely on the forum skin people is using.

Its not transparent, just plain white.
Thanked by: Shade
mybad, its true. though the point of using different backgrounds still applies.
Thanked by:
This doesn't show much skill, tbh. They're as interesting as...um, a word.

Though you can then use this as a practice. Try making it 'hand-made'; Use antialiasing in the right spots to make it look like brush strokes. Emulating traditional art with pixels is hard, but it's always good to try.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: Previous, Shade
Typography isn't easy.

What you should have in mind is that to create an effective font, you have to work around a concept/formula which each letter follows.
I think your current issue is that your word doesn't look like a whole, as in, each letter may as well be from a different font, despite their similarities.
On the other hand, if you're going for something like graffiti writing, then yes, you're going in the right direction but it lacks dynamic force: think more about the composition of the letters, how they interact with each other as a whole, which letter(s) you want to emphasize on, and the message you want to convey, of course.

Here's a suggestion:
[Image: 0dlpL.gif]
You may notice I gave all the small letters the same size (except the "l"), aligned them, tried to give a continuity to the shapes and thickness, some... regularity. Smile
Creating fonts/letters isn't my strong point, so I think it'd be a good idea for you to do some research on it. I hope I've been helpful.
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

(03-09-2012, 06:14 AM)Chris2Balls [:B] Wrote: Typography isn't easy.

What you should have in mind is that to create an effective font, you have to work around a concept/formula which each letter follows.
I think your current issue is that your word doesn't look like a whole, as in, each letter may as well be from a different font, despite their similarities.
On the other hand, if you're going for something like graffiti writing, then yes, you're going in the write direction but it lacks dynamic force: think more about the composition of the letters, how they interact with each other as a whole, which letter(s) you want to emphasize on, and the message you want to convey, of course.

Here's a suggestion:
[Image: 0dlpL.gif]
You may notice I gave all the small letters the same size (except the "l"), aligned them, tried to give a continuity to the shapes and thickness, some... regularity. Smile
Creating fonts/letters isn't my strong point, so I think it'd be a good idea for you to do some research on it. I hope I've been helpful.

Thank you for your example. Though it was intensional to make it look like that. As if a little kid wrote it. Otherwise, I would kinda make it like you did over there. And I'll AA the outline a bit more.

(03-09-2012, 06:14 AM)Chris2Balls [:B] Wrote: if you're going for something like graffiti writing, then yes, you're going in the write direction

Also it's right not write
Thanked by: Chris2Balls [:B]
(03-09-2012, 06:02 PM)recolorme Wrote:
(03-09-2012, 06:14 AM)Chris2Balls [:B] Wrote: if you're going for something like graffiti writing, then yes, you're going in the write direction

[Image: xagCQ.jpg]

It was really hard to tell what you wanted.

Just because you intentionally did not plan on making a font,
the idea behind how fonts and typography works still applies.

Even though Chris brought up graffiti, even graffiti follows a size and alignment pattern as Chris' .gif shows.

I personally do not understand why you needed to post this to find "jaggies."
That wasn't entirely needing of a second pair of eyes.

Do you have anything to make this thread go farther?

Are you actually trying to learn typography here, or this just some quick time thing going nowhere?
[Image: FmY9K.jpg]

(03-09-2012, 06:02 PM)recolorme Wrote:

[Image: +_2acc5a8841f8752904d37f90a8014829.png?1322693145]
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
[Mod note: next time someone post a good damn image macro i swear i am going to warn the fuck out of them]
Thanked by: Gwen