Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
generic rpg overworld template
First time posting, long time watcher. Made these years ago with nowhere to share them. I still believe these could be useful to those wishing to make their own RPG games....If you only need a base to work off of.
generic male:
[Image: geneticmaleworld.png]
generic female:
[Image: geneticfemaleworld.png]
And yes, these are from varied characters from the FF3/6 game.

If I am posting in the wrong area, I apologize for my inconvenience.
Thanked by:
wowwww those background colors are waaaaaaaaay too bright and eyeburning
i can barely even make out what's going on in each box
choose dull, much darker, desaturated colors that won't clash with the sprites instead
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by: Gwen
meh, it's common colors used in most sheets I've seen. you guys can change the colors however you want. But to those who don't use RPG Maker, the colors are pretty much the boundaries for the sprite animation. (For example, the first three is walking up animation) When using the sheet for their game, the entire background has to be one color like replacing the purple sections to green or vice-versa. Then that single background color will be transparent like a gif file.

If the colors are that much of a pain, I can fix it so the background is transparent, and then link to the template sheets. That or I'm missing the point to something.
Thanked by:
(02-26-2012, 04:49 AM)Vipershark Wrote: wowwww those background colors are waaaaaaaaay too bright and eyeburning
choose dull, much darker, desaturated colors that won't clash with the sprites instead
I disagree, the background must clash with the sprites to a certain extent. I think this was intended as a submission and the background colours are there to distinguish the frames, much as it is true that for now the contrast is pretty harsh on the eye.
I have an issue with the fact the sprites are completely grey: I understand this is to keep a kind of neutrality to them, but this also means that readability between features (head, arms, torso, legs, etc) will be rather poor.
Here's a suggestion of what I think could make your sheet more user-friendly:
[Image: c0dce.png]
I turned your concept inside out. I hope it helps you! Smile

[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Thanked by: Garamonde, Vipershark
(02-26-2012, 07:25 AM)Chris2Balls [:B] Wrote:
(02-26-2012, 04:49 AM)Vipershark Wrote: wowwww those background colors are waaaaaaaaay too bright and eyeburning
I disagree, the background must clash with the sprites to a certain extent. I think this was intended as a submission and the background colours are there to distinguish the frames, much as it is true that for now the contrast is pretty harsh on the eye.

[Image: 6lK7w.png]

The colour he chose worked enough for contrast.
Not to mention he has a dark character.
A neutral background would have been easier on the eyes and gotten the point across.

There's something that really bothers me about this.

It's probably the fact it's an ugly palette of grey with poor contrast.
I don't see the number of grey's in the palette as necessary, with the fact it is so small.

Personally, though.
Does the body need shading?
Just because it'd probably get replaced as armour or cloth was added to the chest,
or armour to the legs.
[Image: FmY9K.jpg]

Thanked by: Kellins, Gors
it actually bothers me a lot these are merely recolors from FF6's sprites.
Thanked by:
(02-26-2012, 08:53 PM)Meta Wrote: it actually bothers me a lot these are merely recolors from FF6's sprites.

more like edits(heavy or light), it's ment as an outline of the body. Recolors would mean I used an Edgar sheet, changed his clothes and hair to grey, leaving the hair outline and making less options for the newer spriters to use for their own creations.
But Proton had pretty much summed up everything better than I could, and the color they used instead of the green and purple is better I admit. I'm just used to using those colors since they make use as a better transparent than any other color I use. Old habits die hard.

I just haven't seen a default template with optional poses, They just have up, down, left, and right. And the FF3/6 sprites have fit perfectly with the RPG Maker overworld sprites.
And there is four shades of grey. Not sure why you all think its not.
Thanked by:
what is the point of making a template out of existing sprites(aka this), when someone who is unable to properly sprite can(and will) just edit the original sprites to its pleasure? even if you do not edit the original sprites and instead use this, you still need to use the original sprites as a reference because you simply have no idea what colors should be used.

besides, this does nothing but encourage people to to not work on developing their skills but instead use a cheap, poorly shaded and lazy shortcut wich even more lazy and poor than actually editing the original sprites.
Thanked by: Proton