Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
C&C for Sprites: Practice, possible game. Need help
The sprites I present here I am trying to the quality thereof.
I'm attempting something similar to the feel of Metroid Fusion in a more medieval setting akin to Castlevania or Demon's Crest Which inspired this in the first place. The bosses include for the possible game (by name mainly) Pazuzu, Behemoth, Dagon. I've been told that the image of Enki and Gil look more like Akira Toriyama's style. (the sketch seen later in the thread)

I've been having a lot of trouble with the shading. Perhaps I am completely off the mark with how I made this. I'm having alot of second thoughts about this project now.... hmmm.... Ouch!

Possible changes to the character: now with his rival.
[Image: Enkichanges.png][Image: EnkinGil.png]
Shading Changes [Image: ShadingChanges.png]

Another addition, more details in most recent post.
[Image: Nereid.png]

This 'spoiler' contains the basic animations of the character Enki
Bearded Beast Illustrations
Photobucket Sprite Archive
Deviantart
If the study and practice of art, is not the endeavor to better one's skill constantly, then I don't know a damned thing.
Thanked by:
too choppy to be powerful. add inbetween frames and increase readability on his body

also avoid selouting the motion blur, makes no sense
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
He kind of moves in a weird way after his second punch, makes it look strange.
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]

Thanked by:
Question 
(01-27-2012, 08:29 PM)Gors Wrote: too choppy to be powerful. add inbetween frames and increase readability on his body

also avoid selouting the motion blur, makes no sense

[edit] I found the Selout part in the Spriting Dictionary: Working on that part.

As far as in between frames, adding it to the wind-up? or the pitch?Question
Deviantart
If the study and practice of art, is not the endeavor to better one's skill constantly, then I don't know a damned thing.
Thanked by:
I think it might make sense to rotate the back foot toward the screen with the second punch? Or just...move it somehow
[Image: sxv5uJR.gif]
Thanked by:
(01-27-2012, 09:08 PM)StarSock64 Wrote: I think it might make sense to rotate the back foot toward the screen with the second punch? Or just...move it somehow

back foot is facing the screen, hmm.. I didn't think to put more movement in it. I was using it to anchor the sprite in place. I can fix that now. Thanks for pointing that out Star.
Deviantart
Thanked by:
Does this look better now? or...?
Deviantart
Thanked by:
One thing you could add is some cjhanges to the last frame. Try making him 'finish' his blow. it's called "moving hold"

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpgMqebug6Q
I know it's 3D animation, but it's the same motion principles, so just focus on motion, and ignore all the tech-stuff.
(01-31-2012, 04:22 PM)Frario Wrote: One thing you could add is some cjhanges to the last frame. Try making him 'finish' his blow. it's called "moving hold"

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpgMqebug6Q
I know it's 3D animation, but it's the same motion principles, so just focus on motion, and ignore all the tech-stuff.

Thank you Frario. That was very helpful. I'm going to have to go over the rest of my images too. Though my moving holds can't be very long, otherwise it will make the melee combat clunky and stunt movement.

(01-31-2012, 04:22 PM)Frario Wrote: One thing you could add is some cjhanges to the last frame. Try making him 'finish' his blow. it's called "moving hold"

[Image: EnkiBrawlx2scalefinal.gif]
Deviantart
Thanked by:
I want to say first that I like your character design. Very SNES-y.

Anyway, while I'm no animation expert, his right (our left) foot just looks odd when he punches. I know you have to move it in order to support your weight and give yourself a more powerful forward thrust, but it looks less like he's using it and more like it's sliding around of its own accord.
Thanked by: Garamonde, Bearded_Beast
(02-04-2012, 08:22 AM)BynineB Wrote: I want to say first that I like your character design. Very SNES-y.

Anyway, while I'm no animation expert, his right (our left) foot just looks odd when he punches. I know you have to move it in order to support your weight and give yourself a more powerful forward thrust, but it looks less like he's using it and more like it's sliding around of its own accord.
SNES was my goal, so that mission is accomplished Big Grin

Hmm.. I had the foot rotate slightly to reflect he turns slightly on the second punch. I understand you.. not sure how to change it.. >_O doesn't feel off though. -shrug-

I'll try a little difference in the next sprite.
Deviantart
Thanked by:
I am still not happy with the animation.

I edited it a little to be more powerful. This is in no way better anatomically; I'd redo it to be more readable and non dirty

[Image: xx76h.gif] >yours [Image: EnkiBrawlx2scalefinal.gif]
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
(02-04-2012, 03:29 PM)Gors Wrote: I am still not happy with the animation.

I edited it a little to be more powerful. This is in no way better anatomically; I'd redo it to be more readable and non dirty

[Image: xx76h.gif] >yours [Image: EnkiBrawlx2scalefinal.gif]

Holy crap! there's a world of difference. Even if it is a bunch of small tweaks. I really dig that, Gors. Trailing foot turns more, sort of a vertical jerk when the second punch ends... I'm going to have to do a side by side comparison of frames to see the by-pixel differences. I'm not sure what you mean by 'dirty' though.

You added, I think 3 frames? I see there is more stretching and contraction of the body, both to signify the build up. Alright... I'm learning. I've never taken any classes on animation or the like, so this is still a learning experience. I've learned more about animation from the people here at tSR than I have formally. Thanks again.
Deviantart
Thanked by:
Hmm... now I'm feeling that this running sprite is inadequate. Too stiff..
[Image: DreckRunning.gif]
I didn't scale it up. But you get the idea.
Deviantart
Thanked by:
Two things very wrong with it. Firstly, his face drifts along his head because you don't move his ear properly, so it just looks like the gap between his ear and his eye grows, rather than his head turning, and secondly, just try running while keeping your head at exactly the same height. It's really hard to do, and if you can manage it, it#s very unnatural. Basically, more bobbing.
Thanked by: