Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[SOLVED] [3DS MAX] Split mesh based on UV coordinates?
I know in Blender you could just go into Edit Mode, and select the parts that needs to be separated, then press P and choose By Selection, and it will separated your mesh based on the selected parts.

How would I go about doing this in 3DS Max?

For example I have a model like below:

[Image: G2.png]

The mask in the image is part of the character's face, like a whole mesh, therefore I cannot take it off.

So how would I separate the mask from the face?

Thanks for reading. Ninja
Thanked by:
You could always fix it in Blender, then export it to something that 3DS Max can open.
Or use Noesis in between the two, to get the model into 3DS Max.
Thanked by:
Well, the problem is because Blender doesn't seem to export the models correctly Sad
Thanked by:
(01-24-2012, 04:57 PM)RequiemOfRawr Wrote: Well, the problem is because Blender doesn't seem to export the models correctly Sad

They work fine in 2.61 for me. Blank What file format do you export as?

Edit: Here's some files you can test with 3DS Max.
Thanked by:
The files you provided works Tongue but the model was "boxy" which was one of the reasons I switched over to 3DS Max. And the UV was out of place since the mask was removed XD

I'll show you what I mean:

My ultimate goal is to get the models in Unity3D, which is best that they all be in .fbx

Here's my workflow attempt:

Brres Viewer exported to .psk/.psa
|
| - - - Use Noesis to convert them to .SMD for Blender - - - Imported into Blender just fine, but when exported to .fbx, some faces on the mesh were missing when rendered in Unity3D (Confirmed this with an alternative .fbx viewer)
|
| - - - Use 3DS Max to directly import .psk (.psa seems to be able to import as well) - - - Animations fine, some UV on the textures were out of place, but can be "fixed" with cell-shadings in Unity3D - - - Now, stuck on how to separate mesh...(The mask)
|
| - - - Tried the models from here http://models-resource.com/wii_gamecube/Beach%20VC/ and as I feared, the animations were incompatible with them.

Thanks.
Thanked by:
If you have the BRRES files, you can try using BrawlBox to export them to .DAE format...
Thanked by:
(01-24-2012, 07:06 PM)John2k4 Wrote: If you have the BRRES files, you can try using BrawlBox to export them to .DAE format...

I don't have the .brres files Tongue Roxas358 gave me a pack of .mrg files.

Come to think of it, I don't even know what they are XD
Thanked by:
Ah, I thought you had BRRES files, since you indicated that you were using Brres Viewer in your workflow chart.
Thanked by:
I am using BRRES viewer to open the .mrp files Tongue
Thanked by:
(01-24-2012, 08:26 PM)RequiemOfRawr Wrote: I am using BRRES viewer to open the .mrp files Tongue

I know you can fix the boxy look in Blender by going into *Edit Mode* and selecting all the vertices and clicking *remove doubles* in the menu on the left under *Object Tools* then in *Object Mode* over in that same area you press *Smooth* under shading.
Also, the UVs on the face are probably messed up because I left the toon shader mask on, and your actually looking at that, rather then his real face. I could re upload without that if You want?

And since the .mrp work in Brres Viewer, they probably can be opened in BrawlBox as well.
Thanked by:
(01-24-2012, 08:36 PM)Roxas358 Wrote: And since the .mrp work in Brres Viewer, they probably can be opened in BrawlBox as well.

I don't know about .mrp, but I know BrawlBox can open .MRG files. Wink
Thanked by:
(01-24-2012, 08:36 PM)Roxas358 Wrote:
(01-24-2012, 08:26 PM)RequiemOfRawr Wrote: I am using BRRES viewer to open the .mrp files Tongue

I know you can fix the boxy look in Blender by going into *Edit Mode* and selecting all the vertices and clicking *remove doubles* in the menu on the left under *Object Tools* then in *Object Mode* over in that same area you press *Smooth* under shading.
Also, the UVs on the face are probably messed up because I left the toon shader mask on, and your actually looking at that, rather then his real face. I could re upload without that if You want?

And since the .mrp work in Brres Viewer, they probably can be opened in BrawlBox as well.

(01-24-2012, 08:44 PM)John2k4 Wrote:
(01-24-2012, 08:36 PM)Roxas358 Wrote: And since the .mrp work in Brres Viewer, they probably can be opened in BrawlBox as well.

I'll tried that ^^ Thanks.

I don't know about .mrp, but I know BrawlBox can open .MRG files. Wink

*FacePalm* My bad Shy

It's all good now!!! I found this guy's thread here that had the same problem with me http://forums.create.msdn.com/forums/t/957.aspx

But I must say, spriters-resource.com is definitely one of the most friendly community I have ever been to. Thank you guys for your input, and especially Roxas358, you have been answering my questions on and off.
Thanked by: