Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Chibi-Creations
Didn't know where to post this but below are some links to some Sprite Comics I've created.

Luigi Quest
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5

Pregnant Amy Rose
This is an older comic that I haven't added to in awhile. I guess the reason I uploaded links to it is because most of my Google traffic seems to go there.
Part 1 This one is one of my first and contains crappy graphics.
Part 2 This is were I stopped the ugly MS Paint backgrounds.
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10

Chapter 1 fanfic version - a newer version of Pregnant Amy Rose started from the beginning with a few sprite images in it.

For a complete list of my sprite comics Click Here.
Thanked by:
Eh.. I like the first issue of Luigi Quest, and Amy contemplating eating the chaos was okay. The rest of them didn't do it for me, personally.

From what I hear sprite comics aren't the greatest route to go, they're hard to pull off, and there's only a few successful ones on the net.

If you're serious about doing comics I would suggest drawing your own stuff. I seem to remember some pretty helpful tutorials on VG cats, and you could also take a look at places like the drunk duck or smack jeeves.
[Image: 687xo0.png] Sponge7325, Sponge 2, Previous, ~Drakocat~, Devicho, Guy 1, Guy 2[Image: wb3tig.png]

[Image: o.png][Image: o.png][Image: o.png][Image: o.png]
Thanked by: GrimmJeel, Maxpphire
no.

simply, no.
To elaborate on what Metaru (M9999) said...

Sprite comics with premade sprites have been done to death. They look unprofessional, are generic, and don't stand out at all.

The first thing I'd recommend is practicing making your own sprites from scratch. Once you have a good grip on those, THEN you can try working on a comic.

We have a forum for sprite critique here, too, so if you make something custom post it there.

If you do end up making your own custom comic, I'd recommend doing an original story. It could be based in a video game world or it could be totally, 100% original, but either way, it's more original and will stand out more than "luigi and snivy talk about video games" or w/e. The market for "funny" sprite comics has come and gone, every joke's been done, etc etc.

[Image: gbgQJ.png]

here's an example of a good sprite comic. Note that every sprite in there is custom and specifically made for the comic. This shows others you took effort into making the comic, and it's much more interesting than what you did as masquerain said.

but then, to even be able to do something like that, you need to know about pixelart, practicing and improving as an artist.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Eventually I would like to draw normal webcomics without sprites but I have a hard time concentrating for long periods of time. I can barley concentrate long enough to make sprite comics.

Anyways I've just uploaded the fourth page of Luigi Quest.
Luigi Quest Page 4
Thanked by:
if you can hardly make sprite comics, then why do you bother showing them to us? We get upset at poor work, and this is no exception.

we've already shown you how to improve, you have no reasons not to do so.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
I didn't say I could hardly make sprite comics. What I said was I could hardly concentrate long enough to make them. My more recent comics (Luigi Quest) I spend over an hour sometimes about two hours to make a single page.

But if you take a look at my older comics and compare them to my newer ones you can see definite improvement.
I started almost a year ago with Super Mario Super Comic (now cancelled) and Pregnant Amy Rose (which might as well be cancelled as I haven't added to that one for 5 months). Although I did start to make a new version of Pregnant Amy Rose but as a fanfic with a few sprite images.
Pregnant Amy Rose fanfic version

I do my best to give my full attention when I make stuff unlike when I first started, and when I find I can't concentrate long enough (usually because I get bored of making it) I figure out how much left has to be done and figure out if I should continue or take a break and come back.
Thanked by:
Honestly what I think you should do is try making your own custom sprites, not in a comic, but just for practice. Pick a subject you like and sprite it, then post it in the sprite forum here for critique.

But if you can barely concentrate long enough to paste premade sprites onto backgrounds, then perhaps pixel art isn't your thing?
Thanked by:
@ chibikage89

"But if you take a look at my older comics and compare them to my newer ones you can see definite improvement."

Actually your comic is pretty decent. Your later style seems fine (In Luigi's Quest), although I would stay away from writing in cursive, as it gets hard to make out certain letters. Also, it's kind of hard to read the comic because it's so small. Some people use photobucket and then hyperlink it.

Thanked by:
(01-14-2012, 01:21 AM)justover6 Wrote: Actually your comic is pretty decent. Your later style seems fine (In Luigi's Quest), although I would stay away from writing in cursive, as it gets hard to make out certain letters. Also, it's kind of hard to read the comic because it's so small. Some people use photobucket and then hyperlink it.

I'll take note to stay away from cursive, Only used it cause on a different forum someone said not to use ComicSM or whatever it's called cause he's sick of seeing it in comics.
And about the image size thanks for telling me. I usually middle click the image opening it in a new window showing the full size. I'll figure a way to solve this issue.
Thanked by:
How do you quote, I've been going at this for like three hours and still can't figure it out.

@ chibikage89

"Only used it cause on a different forum someone said not to use ComicSM or whatever it's called cause he's sick of seeing it in comics."

Yeah... you should start filtering your criticisms. Because your comics are at the point were the only thing you should be improving on is a neat trick you see in other comics that you like. Your comic critiques should also be coming from comic writers that you find are good. Because you notice how everyone is saying make custom sprites if you're serious about making sprite comics, the problem with those statements is that it's like saying you're not serious just because you didn't draw, almost like you didn't put anytime in it or created something from nothing. Which you did, and you really need to surround yourself with other people that did also, and not the theorist. <<< Those are the people you should be filtering right now.

Thanked by:
I'm sorry but I disagree entirely.

These comics are poor on several levels: the page layout is extremely linear and uninteresting to look at, which kills all dynamic in your storytelling. The stories in themselves have a poor structure too.
Composition in storytelling is essential, may it be in the writing or the drawing of your story.
Prioritizing your narration through size, position, colour and value is key for maximum effectiveness, expressivity and interest on the behalf of the reader.

As a pragmatist I am irritated by your specious remarks, justover6.
I don't believe in any kind of social filtering in this context, it only makes this practice even more of a closed circuit, which can get quite stifling. I don't believe in any kind of criticism filtering, either: when you receive assessments on your work, you don't passively content yourself with what is said-you have to analyze it and understand why it's mentioned to you in the first place. It's a system based on exchange.
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

@ Chris2Balls [:B]

That is also the reason I tell people to filter their criticisms. The biggest thing about criticism is this, it's an opinion. To achieve the maximum amount of creativity and expressiveness from opinions you need to understand how they are telling you to look at the subject. When I see most of the replies to his comic, I see use customs, sprite comics are a bad route, DC comics structure, go flashy. When I see his comic, I see blog style story telling, sonic and mario sprites, and a basic good layout for the comic in were he's not going over the top but also getting his point across neatly. Can you see how different the last two sentences were? That's the reason I say filter criticism, because the propective of certain criticisms just doesn't apply to certain people yet. This doesn't mean close yourself off from learning, it means learn in your own time and not others. Just like when you're making sprites, if you're working on proportion and you're asking about proportion but everyone is talking about shading and you start working on that to you screw yourself.

That's why I say people rambling about make customs and urber layouts is a bit stupid. It's almost like telling a baby to walk. He doesn't just get up and say, "YAY I can walk." He learns instinctively and moves towards it to better themselves. But when you just keep picking him up putting him on his legs and letting him fall down well that's just plain child abuse.

Thanked by:
Nobody is telling anybody how to look at a subject: sharing an opinion is sharing an insight. They're telling you how they look at a subject.
When I see his comics, I don't see "blog style storytelling", I see hobbyist creations using a basic page layout and re-used sprites which are symptomatic of chibikage89's mediocrity (probably doesn't know how to draw well, aswell as a poor notion of visual communication).
I think that all the criticism given until now is valid, and even if it doesn't apply yet (what does that even mean?), it's not a reason not to give it. It's not up to us to pace the OP's progress, it's up to him. We can give advice on what to work on first, but ultimately it's up to chibikage. Besides, doesn't stop him trying. If one is working on proportion but everyone is talking about shading, one did well to share one's work-it turned out there were more things to work on than expected. That's the benefit of not filtering criticism!

If a baby wants to run before it knows how to walk, fine. Let it try, let it learn from its mistake and work up to it. I don't think I've heard of parents making their babies walk before, I thought babies were left to get up and try to walk by themselves...
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]