Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
DS ripping help
I'm trying to rip some sprites from a DS game, but the sprites are partially off screen and I get get to them!

Can I rip them another way?

(I'm using DeSmuME)
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]

Thanked by:
I believe NO$GBA has a tile/GFX viewer that you can use for this purpose. It should show you the currently loaded graphics.
Thanked by: Garamonde, Shade
Thanks, I'll give it a go!

Edit: Umm...It says "Could not read the data. Turn off or reinsert the SD card"
What am I doing wrong?

Thanked by:
Which game are you trying to run through it? You might need to change the "Save Type" settings for the game to run.

Click on "Options", then click on "Emulation Setup".
Try changing the "NDS Cartridge Backup Media" option, and see if the game will run.
[Image: TMP000045.png]
Thanked by: Garamonde, Shade
YES! It worked, thanks!
Two problems though, I don't see a tile/GFX viewer and the screen seems too dark.
Maybe I'm partially blind! Tongue

Thanked by:
Could I get the name of the game you are trying to run? Smile

Well we got a working emulator, but further research shows that No$GBA doesn't have the layer support that I was thinking of... I've been using it to play games and not rip sprites, so I had forgotten! Wink

Let's go back to DeSmuME. You can use either the OAM Viewer, or the Tile viewer. Both are located in the "Tools" submenu.

Emulators are not the best to rip DS-based grpahics from in this current time, so I would recommend seeing if you can find a graphics file containing the sprites inside the game file itself by using ConsoleTool v0.1B. I know CT is on version 3.1A now, but for some reason they dropped most DS support from the later versions, making 0.1B the ideal choice.

Open your game with CT, and look for files that end in NCGR and NCBR - those are the image files.
Thanked by: Shade, Garamonde
Every time I try to open it with CT it says "Failed to load file!" What do I do?
(I'm full of problems! XD )

Thanked by:
If the game is in a ZIP file, it might have a problem opening it. Make sure it's a clean NDS file.

What is the name of the game you are trying to rip from? Knowing this can help me troubleshoot problems. Wink
Thanked by: Shade
The game name is Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2! It's also not a .ZIP file.

Haha, I can't believe I forgot to mention that in two posts! Tongue

Thanked by:
Alright. That file opened for me, so you might have a bad dump of it.

The files are in GARC format, and I am unable to view them from inside ConsoleTool.
Thanked by: Shade
This is something very helpful from redblueyellow:
redblueyellow Wrote:Hey Davias,

I noticed that you were looking for help with ripping from Black Sigil, so I thought I'd send you a PM.

As far as ripping from DS games in general goes, tools such as consoleTool and tahaxan work well (both do the same job). From there all you have to do is drag and drop/ open the ds rom into the program and start searching for the correct files.

.NANR (animation), .NCER (cell, usually for sprites), .NCBR(graphics, usually sprites), .NGCR (graphics, usually backgrounds), .NCLR (palette), .NCSR (screen, usually for backgrounds) are preferred to find as they all correspond directly to the sprites, but some games have the graphics compressed into other types of files such as .bin, .dat, .arc or .narc (to name a few).

When it comes to .bin, .dat, .arc, etc Barubary and Dazz might be better to PM (as they have a lot more knowledge of this kind of stuff than me Tongue), but one tool to look at is GenericBUnpacker.

.NANR, .NCER, etc. (all of the file types mentioned above) can then be opened in OilOfVitriol and the sprites will show up there.

Most (if not all) of the programs that I mentioned should be in Barubary's ripping thread (might have to search if it isn't on the first page), but if it isn't there Barubary should have it (or I could send it to you).

Anyways, I currently don't have the rom of the game, but I'll try and get it soon to help with ripping. If searching through the game's files doesn't work, then playing through the game might be your best bet. (I'm pretty sure there is another way through using TileGGD, but I'm absolutely horrible when it comes to working with that Tongue).

Also, DeSuME is another good emulator as far as the DS goes. It's free and comes with an OAM/ Map viewer to get the sprites/ maps by themselves.

If you haven't already done so, I suggest PMing Barubary for help as he is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to DS ripping.

Hope it works out with the game! Smile And I might give it a shot if there's room for one more ripper for the game. Tongue

Tools:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/communi...p?tid=7715
Thanked by: Shade, John2k4, Garamonde
Okay, stupid question! Tongue

How do I use the DeSmuME OAM viewer?

Thanked by: