Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy VII battle models
Okay, I've finally found a way of unpacking the files in the ISO so that I can get into the FFVII files with Noesis. (Sadly, it doesn't work with FFVIII, but I did find a patch that may let me rip from the PC version. Haven't checked if it'll work yet, but...)
[Image: GalianBeastinNoesis.jpg]

Anyway, I have two questions. One: is anyone else actually interested in models this old and clunky? 'Cause if they're not, there's no way I'm gonna try ripping anything other than the few I want.

Two: anyone have any advice on dealing with the look of the model? Because they don't come with any textures other than their eyes, and I can't even figure out how to get those to attach to the model. Trying to color match them to get their polygons the right color is going to be really, uh, challenging. I don't know if maybe they have textures that Noesis isn't ripping, or if they're just colored polygon-by-polygon. I kinda think it's the latter, though. So I was just wondering if anyone had any advice. This is how they come out looking at the moment:
[Image: toplessSephiroth.jpg]

Any thoughts?
Thanked by:
Most models have colour data in them, which can be turned off and on, right? That's been my (limited) experience so far...

If you work it out, I'd love to see these up on the site - Would be awesome to have a sort of gallery.
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by:
The colors are coded into the models somehow? Okay, it's time for me to immerse myself in Blender tutorials! At least now I know what I'm looking for. Smile

If I get things worked out, I'll go ahead and rip other models as well, then, since I'm not the only one interested.
Thanked by:
Urgh. I still can't get the colors to come through. I know how to turn on polygon colors in Blender, but they just don't seem to have any colors. I'm not sure if I'm using Noesis wrong, or if Blender is somehow the problem.

Are any of the models uploaded to the site here colored polygons instead of textured? I'm wondering if Blender's just not importing the colors, so I'd like to compare the results on something else with colored polygons as a test.

Alternatively, are there any other free programs I could use? (Other than Blender, I mean, not other than Noesis. Tongue ) Seems like most of the good ones have massive price tags attached at the other end of their 30 day trial period....
Thanked by:
Here's a list of 25 free programs.
http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/25-free-3d-...-not-miss/

Thanked by: SierraLatkje
Awesome! Thanks so much! Hopefully, one of those will work out better than Blender has.
Thanked by:
All right, so things have gotten much more complicated now. I (somewhat accidentally) discovered that Noesis can display the model in a file it's exported, which let me see that a large part of the problem with my exports was that I was exporting them as .obj files, which came out devoid of any coloration. The .dae files exported perfectly (albeit upside down and facing backwards) according to the Noesis viewer. So, that's the good news. The bad news is, when I try to open them in Blender, the program crashes or it shows up blank. I tried a few of the other free 3D programs, but they didn't even support .dae files.

So, I'm starting to feel a bit...at the end of my tether, since I really only wanted to make a few MMD models for a single image for deviantArt, and yet this is turning into a lengthy nightmare with no end in sight.

That's why I've decided to post a couple of .zip files with some of my rips--and the files I ripped them from--so other people can look at them and see what they make of them. If anyone wants to, shall we say, "go halfsies" on this with me, and handle converting .dae files into other formats (not to mention mirroring them) for official submission to the site, then that's great, but otherwise...I think I'm just going to give up, at least for the moment. I have a lot of other stuff going on right now.

I know it's not done for submissions, but for these purposes, I've just posted the .zips to deviantArt, 'cause I really don't want to try figuring out the usual uploading sites (MediaFire, etc.) as it's just past midnight and I'm getting a little tired.

The two .zips are posted at the following links:
http://fav.me/d4l8x97 (Vincent)
http://fav.me/d4l8xf6 (Yuffie)

The files in the .zips are named according to how they were exported from Noesis--whether I used the additional batch commands from the "Advanced Commands" button.
Thanked by:
You could try this SMD plugin for Blender. It works well for me. Smile Just be sure to export the original file to SMD in Noesis, not the DAE. Smile
Thanked by:
The .smd files didn't export properly, either. Sad The only ones that display in Noesis as having exported correctly are the .dae files. It's possible some of the problem has to do with my rather sub-par hardware; I don't know how much that affects these sort of things. (Probably why Blender crashes, if nothing else.)
Thanked by: