Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
I want to learn, but not sure where to start
Ya, I thought it would be time for me to learn about ripping models. My first question is, what game system is easiest to start model ripping for beginners?

I just need someone to walk me through this step by step.
[Image: 27348983yu7.png]
Thanked by:
Arguably the most easy thing to be ripped would be anything that uses the MDL0 format, so your best bet would be any of these games. Then use the BRRES Viewer to convert the model to a PSK which can be opened in 3DS Max with this MaxScript

I suggest getting the student version of 3DS Max 2010 as it has the best compatibility with scripts such as the DAE exporter and whatnot; and even though it's a student version, it has every feature that the full one does and it's free. You can get it here. If you'd like some more help you can hit me up on Steam (I'm usually on all the time) and I can try helping as best I can.
Thanked by:
Thanks for the links! I'd like to try and get some models from Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Where would I begin? What programs would I use?
Thanked by:
First off, the Wii is the easiest because so many games use the same format and such. Second, I can send you the Kirby models if you'd like to try submitting an enemy or something. It'd be good for practice as well. And third, the easiest thing to do first is by far .BRRES models. Here's what you'll need:

1: BRRES Viewer (get it here. The latest version is here, and you can find an updated list of games that use .BRRES format here)
2: Noesis (this is the easiest way, you don't have to mess with the model at all usually. Get it here)
3: Notepad++ (optional, but recommended as .DAE is the preferred submitting format. Get it here)
4: An image editing program (MS Paint will probably do the job, it's for making preview images so that your model will be uploaded faster)
5: Icon Maker V3. You can get it here.

And that's about it for equipment. Now onto instructions. It's quite easy after you've done a few of them.

Start off by opening BRRES Viewer and browse for the model you want and open it. Now you should see this small window on the left, listing the model(s), textures, palettes, animations and etc.. You can press the enter key to center the model so it won't be on top, or use shift to move it back to its initial position.

But for now you want to go to File > Export All Files. You will see a small window appear. Click the Textures dropdown and select PNG. Leave the Models dropdown as it is, as you want to export all your models in .PSK format. You should click the Animations dropdown and select "(do not export)". Now you have to go into the folder that had the BRRES file of the model you just exported. There will be a new folder named "exported". You can pull that out and put it somewhere else.

Now open Noesis and load up your new PSK. It should appear like this. Now you go to File > Export, and you'll see a new window. In the "Main output type" dropdown, first select .DAE COLLADA. Now make sure you check "Flip UV's" on the right so that the textures will load properly in modeling programs like Blender (always do this for each and every export). Now just click OK, then when it's done click Done. I always export it again as .OBJ and .SMD formats as well, so I'd suggest that. (Also, as a note, you don't have to open your DAE, OBJ or SMD in Noesis. If you do you'll see that the texture UV's are reversed. But this is perfectly normal)

Next:

Now after you save that, you're done aside from making the preview and icon. You can find the preview image here. In BRRES Viewer, go to Model, and uncheck Axes (or hit F3) to remove those colored lines, and center the model if you haven't already (you can turn the model around with your mouse, and zoom in and out with the mouse wheel too), and take a print screen of the model at an angle you like and insert it in the preview image (making sure it fits in decently enough, it's okay if a little bit of it is cut off), and Icon Maker V3 isn't much different from the first one, you can just pick between sprite, model and texture icons. Tongue

If you have any other questions or problems, just ask.

EDIT: Forgot to add that it's okay to save the preview images as .JPG if you wish to save a bit of space. .PNG isn't necessary unless you're funny about JPGs like I am. Tongue
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
Well before I start getting some models from my game, I wanted to see if I could open up RTB's Petey Piranha model in BRRES and all I get is "Error: Not a valid BREES file" message. Also, where do I find the models from the game I want to do? I wanted to try SSBB.

EDIT: Never Mind, I was able to open Petey in Noesis, but with no textures. Also I'm still wondering where I find the models for SSBB.
Thanked by:
I've got all the characters unpacked from SSBB if you'd like me to send them to you. Otherwise you'd need to get an ISO (or unpacked game-file) of it and extract the files with Dolphin. The character files would be located in fighter. They'll be .pac files which I think can be opened with the BRRES viewer.
Thanked by:
(12-11-2011, 04:30 PM)ApocHedgie Wrote: I've got all the characters unpacked from SSBB if you'd like me to send them to you. Otherwise you'd need to get an ISO (or unpacked game-file) of it and extract the files with Dolphin. The character files would be located in fighter. They'll be .pac files which I think can be opened with the BRRES viewer.

Do you have everything including assist trophies? Either way, you can send them to me through a private message.
Thanked by:
Well you'd need the original SSBB files. I'm not 100% sure but they are probably BRRES's. BRRES Viewer can only open BRRES's (and sometimes CMD, BIN and ARC). If you want to open RTB's files you'd need a modeling program. That's something RTB or Apoc could help you with. I'm not sure if Brawl would be the easiest thing to start with, but you can try it first if want.

I didn't know there were still models to be ripped from that game... by any chance could you send me those Brawl files too?
Thanked by:
Hey Mighty, you can send me a few Kirby enemies if you want. I just want to start with something small in case Brawl doesn't work for me. Just send me a PM.
Thanked by:
A.J., I'll be online tomorrow. Get in touch on MSN or something and I can walk you through some of the basics if you like? Smile
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by:
(12-11-2011, 05:35 PM)Dazz Wrote: A.J., I'll be online tomorrow. Get in touch on MSN or something and I can walk you through some of the basics if you like? Smile

Thanks, if I'm having any trouble, I'll be sure to be online.
Thanked by:
Sent the PM to you both. The PAC files can be opened with BRRES Viewer, tested that for myself. The main characters are in the fighter folder, and the assist trophies are in "item". If you need any more help please feel free to contact me again; I'm kinda knowledgeable on the subject of 3D, since I work with it so often.
Thanked by:
Yay I think I got it now! Just click the Preview or the icon and let me know what you all think. Oh, and I'll post this again in a submission thread.
[Image: L44Dy.png]

[Image: bxgSB.png]
Thanked by:
You can post it in my thread if you want. Looks great!
Thanked by:
I'll post in both.
Thanked by: