Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Teaching a beginner
I'm new I want to learn how to make 3d models for my sprite fan characters. I want to know what program I should look for and how to use texture files. Please help this newbie. Thank you.
Thanked by:
Well, there is no right program for the job. Just use what you would like to use. If you want me to actually help you with modeling, I say go with Maya; however, I will admit that Blender is a good program (it's free, but it has a learning curve).
Thanked by:
(10-17-2011, 12:58 PM)E-Man Wrote: Well, there is no right program for the job. Just use what you would like to use. If you want me to actually help you with modeling, I say go with Maya; however, I will admit that Blender is a good program (it's free, but it has a learning curve).

Thank you may I just ask which one seems easier to use? I'm not exactly a bright person.
Thanked by:
Well, I would say Maya is. It's an industry standard and it has less of a learning curve than Blender.
Thanked by:
(10-17-2011, 02:33 PM)E-Man Wrote: Well, I would say Maya is. It's an industry standard and it has less of a learning curve than Blender.

Thank you I'll have a look and maybe download it.
Thanked by:
maya eh? i'll look into that too
Thanked by:
I found autodesk maya 2012 and got it installed seems quite complicated. Any words of wisdom, quick guide or a brief introduction from experts on here?
Thanked by:
How do i use game models and textures in maya?
Thanked by:
Are you importing the OBJ file into the program?
Thanked by:
(10-25-2011, 12:55 PM)E-Man Wrote: Are you importing the OBJ file into the program?

I have how do I add the textures to it so it's not just polygons?
Thanked by:
OK! Here's what you need to do! When you open your file and have Maya running, you first have to ensure the Attributes Editor is open (if it isn't, click the "Show or Hide the Attributes Editor" button in the top right corner). Next, click on the downwards triangle to open a drop down menu and select the options that look like they could relate to textures. Then you click on the icon to the right side of the sliding bar that changes the texture's color and then click the folder icon next to that blank bar that says "Image Name." From there, you can locate the images that belong to that model.

I hope that helps you, even though I haven't supplied you with images.
Thanked by:
(10-30-2011, 01:24 PM)E-Man Wrote: OK! Here's what you need to do! When you open your file and have Maya running, you first have to ensure the Attributes Editor is open (if it isn't, click the "Show or Hide the Attributes Editor" button in the top right corner). Next, click on the downwards triangle to open a drop down menu and select the options that look like they could relate to textures. Then you click on the icon to the right side of the sliding bar that changes the texture's color and then click the folder icon next to that blank bar that says "Image Name." From there, you can locate the images that belong to that model.

I hope that helps you, even though I haven't supplied you with images.

Thank you very much. I'll try at some point in life. Also you need to sort of spoon feed me information because I don't have a clue.
Thanked by:
Spoon feed, huh? What do you have in mind for that sort of thing?
Thanked by:
(10-31-2011, 05:29 AM)E-Man Wrote: Spoon feed, huh? What do you have in mind for that sort of thing?

Don't know actually...
Thanked by:
Well, just let me know how else I can help you and I'll see what I can do.
Thanked by: