Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Meet Zoe Jabberwocky
Hey, this is my first big from-scratch spriting dealio I've done in forever, so I figured I'd share and see what people think!

[Image: zoeduo.png]

Her name's Zoe Jabberwocky (don't ask about the name, long story), the partner/master/lackey of Slithe, the demon sealed into the threads of a frog hoodie she found one day. They mutually benefit from their relationship, as Zoe gains power from the hoodie's demonish qualities, and Slithe can't do much of anything without a wearer to get him around. She's part of a larger collective of characters that I've come up with over the past year or so, each of them fitting into a Tarot card Arcana (guess what that was influenced by!). Her Arcana's the Fool, if you must know.

So, any comments, criticisms, etc. are welcome! Thanks!
Thanked by:
I'd add some contrast to the skin.

I don't see anything else that can be improved upon.
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
Thanked by:
volume on the face.

the face line is too steep, give her a chin
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by:
hope someone minds the banding all over the face lineart and clothing.
Thanked by:
[Image: zoe2.png]
Alright so... I wasn't exactly sure how to tackle what you guys suggested but I gave it my best shot, I guess. I tried to add some more shading to the face and fixing the outline (not really sure what you meant by the face line being too steep, Gors...) and yeah, I guess I did end up banding (had to look that up Embarassed ) so I kind of reset the sweatshirt to just one shade and redid the shading from there, though I'm not sure if it's any better.
I haven't entirely fixed it up, I know that, but am I at least on the right track?
Thanked by:
your you are, although i'd suggest using one less shade for each shadow, keeping a tone inbetween the two ones existing between the existing ones. given the sprite's size, adding more colors isnt really going to make ir more smooth.

also, i think you would benefit greatly if you try to keep the saturation consistent on the whole palette. while the face and hair are rather desaturated light colors, the clothing is overly vibrant and saturated. i'm pretty sure you'll get a better looking sprite if you stay in the same range(or at least, until you know when to mix them properly).

as a side note, kudos for doing your homework and doing some research on what is banding. we got a glossary right here if you feel lost with any concept though, so dont worry.
Thanked by:
[Image: zoedesat.png][Image: zoesat.png]

Okay, so I made two palettes, one to have the color of the clothing better match the face and hair and the other where I just sort of saturated the whole dang thing (it kind of looks like crap, honestly). So yeah, the desaturated one looks better in my opinion, but I'm wondering if there's a way to make a more vibrant color set up actually look... good? So what do you guys think? Should I stick with the desaturated one or try to make it more vibrant, and if so, how?
Thanked by:
(08-14-2011, 08:09 PM)Gors Wrote: volume on the face.

the face line is too steep, give her a chin

did I say chin? my bad, I was supposed to say cheek.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by:
In my opinion, both of the palettes lack contrast. I also can't tell where the light is coming from. Her clothes should have at least a few wrinkles, too.
Thanked by:
wanted to see if I could do something interesting with the colors and shading. I think I reduced the color count by 3 and did some minor form edits.

[Image: zoejabberwocky.png]

edit: some of my colors actually may need some more contrast too, idk.

editedit:

lots of refining and a couple new colors.

[Image: zoejabberwocky.png]
Thanked by: