Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Changes to the Sprite Discussion board
Here's my idea:

I'd like to create some workshops for popular game styles. I haven't decided if these would be changed on a weekly, monthly or bi-monthly basis, but I'd like this to be introduced.
The games chosen will be critically acclaimed games with a distinctive style, preferably easily reproductible: let's say Mario&Luigi: Partners in Time, for example.
Either of the Sprite staff will have to write a critical analysis of the style, which will introduce the readers to the restrictions of the system, the game and its style, but also (hopefully) break down the style into easy steps to follow.

Something which could be incorporated in the workshop are rips: we could encourage members to rip sprites (disregarding the fact they've already been uploaded) from the game and post them, so that they can find the points the Moderator mentioned, and who knows, contribute to the analysis. It would mostly be to introduce the members to an emulator and a sprite ripping program such as Tile Molester, for instance.
If this does get put into place, I think an experienced ripper and a Sprite Moderator should team up to create a workshop.

Anyway, I hope you like the idea. I think it's very relevant to what TSR does and what tVGR will do.

This idea will only come into fruition once TUGS is over at the very earliest. It'll most probably start on the Videogame's Resource, if you (members and staff) like this idea and approve of it being done.

Also, in order for this to be done, I'll need some extra sprite mods and some willful rippers. Please PM me if you want to apply for a position.
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Thanked by:
This sounds like a very interesting idea and I could see a lot of great sprite tutorials emerging from the workshops. It'd be a good way to redirect some of the n00b questions.

Would some workshops encompass entire platforms like the Atari, for example?
Thanked by:
They could encompass entire platforms, but my point was to be more specific about the game and its style. An introduction/summary of the platform is a good idea.

I also think analyzing modern indie games such as Frogatto, Cave Story (a bit overdone by now), etc with an introduction on the pixel artist (maybe an interview!) could also be interesting.
When you say the Atari, I assume you mean the Atari 2600?

Thanked by:
Cave Story had its time in the limelight, but nobody seems to be pushing that style so much anymore.

That being said, we should totally also look back at the overdone styles of the past, see what made them popular / why people wanted to do that style / let's revive or keep doing that style because why the fuck not

(MLUnsureS super big analysis, no not the new ML games but the original)
HAVE I BEEN MISLEAD?? [Image: TeamStory.gif] THE DREAM ISN'T DEAD???

Thanked by:
i like the idea of doing studies of certain styles

tutorials on how different console styles etc work would be useful

ie, how 8bit, 16bit, atari, commodore, zx spectrum etc work in terms of palette and their limitations

this is probably better suited for the sprite dictionary

maybe turn it into a sprite encyclopaedia with info on everything
[Image: RuAIooB.png]
Thanked by:
A retrospective sounds like a great idea, ob2ko!

I think that if this does get done and that we do get enough material, it could eventually be compiled into a Sprite Encyclopedia, which could be a great asset for posterity and cross-referencing with game rips, eras, etc.

Thanked by:
this is a great idea, but i think there should also be a place where you could put your abilities to the test

we should bring back sprite duels, those were awesome back on pt and really helped encourage you to hone your skills
Thanked by:
Definitely. That and Shawn's threads.

Could you explain how the sprite duels worked? I wasn't on PT, unfortunately.
How was it organized? Did you pick a partner to do a duel with and decide what you'd sprite and do it?

Thanked by:
Yes this is a great idea. It may even help promote people to submit to the Customs Section of the site.

Oh yes I hope to see King of Swing style analyzed at one point. Frario and I were the masters at that.

Thanked by:
(08-04-2011, 05:59 PM)Chris2Balls [:B] Wrote: Definitely. That and Shawn's threads.

Could you explain how the sprite duels worked? I wasn't on PT, unfortunately.
How was it organized? Did you pick a partner to do a duel with and decide what you'd sprite and do it?

Essentially yeah, it was a separate board where you could ask for a duel, or you could find a friend to duel with and put it there, whatever you could work out. Then one of you, or somebody not dueling, would decide a topic or theme and when you were both done, the community would vote on the winner.

It would probably be a good idea to make sure each duel had deadlines, too, so people don't end up dropping out. It's probably unlikely people will drop out from a duel anyway, though, since there's only two people participating.
Thanked by:
That sounds good! I hope to manage fitting in all these changes because it'd be awesome.

I've also been thinking about the Reworkshop thread: it hasn't been very successful but I still think it has some potential. I think the main problem is the fact that not many people are interested in making advanced edits of other peoples' work.

I'm open to any other suggestions, we are discussing the Sprite Discussion's future, after all.

Thanked by:
(08-04-2011, 06:07 PM)Glukom Wrote: It would probably be a good idea to make sure each duel had deadlines, too, so people don't end up dropping out. It's probably unlikely people will drop out from a duel anyway, though, since there's only two people participating.

i remember quite a few duels which people dropped out of...

but i'd love to see the duels board reawakened though
[Image: RuAIooB.png]
Thanked by:
I don't completely understand, but, sprite duels absolute yes.

I want there to be a M&LUnsureS style thing, I've always wanted to make customs in that style.

Now, the part I don't really understand... you want people to rip sprites from a game so you can show examples of that game's style to help the spriters? Does that mean for a M&LUnsureS thread/forum/rework thing you'd want people to rip sprites from that game? I must ask what the purpose is when they're on the site already (as well as most of the PiT sprites)? I could be a ripper but I haven't gotten into DS yet or whatever. I might PM you if you could clear these things up for me.

Otherwise, this sounds phenomenal.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
(08-05-2011, 03:19 PM)Mighty Jetters Wrote: Now, the part I don't really understand... you want people to rip sprites from a game so you can show examples of that game's style to help the spriters? Does that mean for a M&LUnsureS thread/forum/rework thing you'd want people to rip sprites from that game? I must ask what the purpose is when they're on the site already (as well as most of the PiT sprites)? I could be a ripper but I haven't gotten into DS yet or whatever.
I'd encourage people to rip sprites regardless of whether they've been uploaded already as a hands-on experience for using whichever sprite ripping program they need to do so. It's not so much showing examples, it's about making a rip (or one of your first rips, whichever).
By encouraging, I don't mean that people will be able to post in those forums on the condition of ripping a sprite or two, what I mean is that I see it as a personal bonus experience which will complement the information from the ripper's/spriter's article(s).

Thanked by:
So the new changes are about sorta encouraging people to rip sprites as well as sprite (or just rip, whichever) in the pixel art section? Or about teaching them to use TiledGGD or whatever program? I probably won't understand this whole formula until it actually gets started...

In short, trying to teach people to rip and sprite too? Apologies for seeming rather clueless. Once I get it though, I get it~
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by: