Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
The Circus
Hi guys,
I was making some circus sprites and tiles, perhaps you wanted to see them and comment on them Big Grin. Suggestions, edits, or anything is welcome!

[Image: scene05.png]
Thanked by: Marth, Gwen, Badassbill, Baegal
LOLLIGE!

I think you could avoid jagged lines that need AA on the sprites, for example the gentleman with the top hat. The tent too has jagged lines, just like the carriage.
The clowns, on the other hand, work well because they don't have AA (which makes outlines a bit fuzzy).

So to boil it down, I would suggest you avoid jagged lines at all cost for this style.
I'm looking forward to more! Smile
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Thanked by:
Do you mean that I make the top hat straight? That would really ruin the flexibility of all the stuff I am afraid.. If you mean something else please make an example Wink.

WasLollige Wink
Thanked by:
I didn't mean straighten the top hat: I have an issue with the AA. Everything apart from the entrance to the circus isn't pure black; it has a colour, a black outline and then a white outline. The AA is used on the inside of the black lines, whereas for the top hat, the AA eats away at the black outline.
[Image: 6fVmG.png]
A quick colour swap with a highlight and some shading, along with an attempt to make the lines as less jagged as possible without AA, and I think we have something a bit closer to the style of the other sprites.

I hope it gives you ideas!

Thanked by: BynineB
Thanks for the edit Chris2, I based my new circus director on it!

[Image: scene08.png]
That's looking great now, man. I'm looking forward to more!

Thanked by:
The ground and background are looking awfully flat and routine. Also, I don't understand why there's a dark green line under the objects only, as it's rather distracting.

Still, though, your shading is fantastic and I love the expressions on your characters! Really nice work here.
Thanked by:
I don't really find the dark (black) line under the objects distracting, but I do agree that the ground is very boring. I do not know yet what I want to do with it, but I will hereby promise to change it into something better at some point.
For the background: What more would you want than a couple of clouds? I could create some objects in the background with one color slightly darker than the light blue, but I am not so sure if it would change this into something better... Any suggestions?
Thanked by:
(07-17-2011, 05:27 PM)Hapiel Wrote: I don't really find the dark (black) line under the objects distracting, but I do agree that the ground is very boring. I do not know yet what I want to do with it, but I will hereby promise to change it into something better at some point.
For the background: What more would you want than a couple of clouds? I could create some objects in the background with one color slightly darker than the light blue, but I am not so sure if it would change this into something better... Any suggestions?

I think that you should add one or two more clouds, of varying sizes, but leave the colour alone, it is good.
[Image: Little_lamp_in_dark_room.jpg]

Thanked by:
Well, it's more that you only have one solitary cloud. A few of different sizes would be nice. Maybe a tree or a signpost in the background?
Thanked by:
maybe you could have many backgrounds like at different times of the day... that would be cool.
[Image: o6fg53.png][Image: 2ufwr9u.jpg][Image: fnfhg5.png]
Note to self, don't post on really old topics on here.
[Image: 6q9xn8.jpg]
Thanked by:
i quite like the ground to be honest...

i think large wheels would look better on the wagon and the cage, they're more circus-y. the one in the first post needs more work though
i think the wagon/caravan in your first post is nicer than the new one but that's more to do with the concept rather than the execution (although the execution is better in that one as well)

also the 'perspective' on the new caravan doesn't really work
if you're going to apply it on the overhang bit, the other parts on that plane need to be done made like that as well
[Image: RuAIooB.png]
Thanked by:
I like the old caravan better TBH, it had much more life to it.
If you do keep the new one, though, you need to move the window a pixel or 2 up so it doesn't line up with the stripes.

So far my favorite part is the giraffe and tent. It's great.
[Image: OH4K4jX.gif] [Image: R7WBBzo.gif] [Image: TsJpssj.gif]
-----------------------[Love]-----------------------
Thanked by: Chris2Balls [:B], Mag
A little update for you before I go on vacation!!

[Image: scene10.png]

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will be taking note of 'm Smile. The caravan is indeed an issue, and the wheels are tiny because I keep on messing up big ones and I am getting a little lazy now Wink.
Don't worry about the cloud sizes. As soon as I feel I am getting finished, I will move everything around into a nice composition, there will probably be some different clouds there too!
Any suggestions for coloring the lion? I will probably redo the small lion.
Also I am not happy with the dithering on the cage, but I did not like it without either. Perhaps I should add colors? Suggestions are welcome.
Oh well, I have enough ideas left for this, while working on it I will probably get to the solution anyway :p
Thanked by:
It's looking good, I'm just worried the circus tent looks out of style now.

Thanked by: