Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
M&L Platform Mario
Smile 
[Image: Mario.png]

Hello everybody! I'm new to the land of Spriters Resource, but not to spriting. The image above was edited from an M&LSSS goomba, so give soem credit to A.J. NItro Tell me if I need to work on anything at all on the sheet, and I will attempt to follow your expectations.
Thanked by:
Hello there and welcome to TSR! I hope you enjoy your stay, and that you make new friends here!

I have just a few things to say about the sprite: the nose is oddly shaded, there should be a bit more AA around areas like the mustache, hair, and other places lacking smoothness. I haven't tackled M&L for..a LONG time now, but I know that in M&L, AA is pretty much the main element of the style. Be sure not to lose track of that.

On the skypop, there needs to be more shading on the helmet, and better shading on the skypop itself. Try to shade it more like the cannons(with shine and how the shades are made). The hat on Mario seems to be positioned oddly..it's overworldish when it shouldn't be since the rest of the body isn't. If you have anymore questions just let me know!
[Image: 9fryz.gif] [Image: QUmE6.gif]
[Image: XwNYE.gif]
[Image: qjGOacY.png]

Click the link below to view the New Super Mario Kart Project! [Seizure Warning]

Thanked by:
(07-07-2011, 12:54 AM)Star/Starpower Wrote: Hello there and welcome to TSR! I hope you enjoy your stay, and that you make new friends here!

I have just a few things to say about the sprite: the nose is oddly shaded, there should be a bit more AA around areas like the mustache, hair, and other places lacking smoothness. I haven't tackled M&L for..a LONG time now, but I know that in M&L, AA is pretty much the main element of the style. Be sure not to lose track of that.

On the skypop, there needs to be more shading on the helmet, and better shading on the skypop itself. Try to shade it more like the cannons(with shine and how the shades are made). The hat on Mario seems to be positioned oddly..it's overworldish when it shouldn't be since the rest of the body isn't. If you have anymore questions just let me know!

What do you mean by "AA"Question
Thanked by:
How many new members actually read this?
ctrl+f, "AA". Anti-Aliasing.

how to insert images by hand (quick post):
Code:
[img]image url[/img]

Star is the authority on M&L styled sprites, so I have little to add to what he has said.
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Thanked by: Star
why does the skull have ears
Thanked by:
Is this any better?
[Image: Oldtonew1.png]
Thanked by:
It is on it's way there, but now your shading is a bit bland..I can hardly see it. You need to make more contrast between the shades.
Another problem is how you're shaping things. The way you made the hat makes it look like a pancake basically..I put these Marios by yours to show how you can fix the shading on the nose to make it have more shape, as well as to help you shape up his hat.
[Image: S76gY.png]

Since there were too many problems with the SkyPop, I decided to make one for you. I provided a ref so you can see how the skypop actually looks like, and that way you can see where you went wrong at. I hope this all helps!

EDIT: Err...forget what I said about the contrast. Just add a lil bit more shading in various places like the back of his cap. I forgot that M&L Mario's colors don't have that much contrast between the shades : P
[Image: 9fryz.gif] [Image: QUmE6.gif]
[Image: XwNYE.gif]
[Image: qjGOacY.png]

Click the link below to view the New Super Mario Kart Project! [Seizure Warning]

Thanked by: Marth, Jopeja, Alex IDV
Thumbs Up 
Wow... lol, I was way off the mark when it came to the SkyPop. Heh. Oh well... Thanks for making one though! I'll be sure to give you credit when it's done. Here's the update!
[Image: Oldtonew2.png]
Thanked by:
Exclamation 
(07-07-2011, 11:57 PM)Jopeja Wrote: Wow... lol, I was way off the mark when it came to the SkyPop. Heh. Oh well... Thanks for making one though! I'll be sure to give you credit when it's done. Here's the update!
[Image: Oldtonew2.png]
Oops... Forgot some AA on the ear...
Thanked by:
Don't forget to take what he said and study what he made for you to take into consideration for later sprites.
Thanked by: Star, Alex IDV