Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Creature Help
[Image: Gumazon.png]

This would be my first time making a creature in a way like this (the first presentable one at least) and I would really like help on improving. The creature must be assembled though, as it uses different interchangeable parts, but I outlined each box so it should be extremely easy to do if you wish to. I would appreciate any input at all on improving my skills in any way.

P.S. The white arrows show the parts that would be animated.
Thanked by:
Could you explain more about this creature, please?

Is it like a snake or a worm of some kind?
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Thanked by:
(07-05-2011, 05:11 PM)Chris2Balls [:B] Wrote: Could you explain more about this creature, please?

Is it like a snake or a worm of some kind?

Well, more like a leech with insect/arachnid features.
(07-05-2011, 05:02 PM)Toastfighter Wrote: [Image: Gumazon.png]

This would be my first time making a creature in a way like this (the first presentable one at least) and I would really like help on improving. The creature must be assembled though, as it uses different interchangeable parts, but I outlined each box so it should be extremely easy to do if you wish to. I would appreciate any input at all on improving my skills in any way.

P.S. The white arrows show the parts that would be animated.

I suppose that I'll explain its purpose more. Me and my friend (the programmer) decided to try to make a small game, nothing too ambitious. The game will essentially be like pokemon, but only about 12 actual creatures will be in the game. The key difference is that these creatures begin to diverge BEFORE their evolution into the next form. gaining features based on stat distributions, the fins for speed, the flaps (I have no idea what to call them either) for health, the segmented plates for defense, and the larger jaw for attack. Each first form evolves twice, the second time turning into one of two end results. The two particular end results for this one would be either:

A. A large aquatic centipede with fins instead of legs and a segmented, shelled body

B. A cross between a sting ray and a scorpion

You can begin to see small changes that will lead to these end results in these interchangeable features I put in there.
Thanked by:
Like a centipede/millipede?

Here is what I suggest you do:
[Image: p2fFO.png]
First, you make a sprite of each segment in the desired amount of angles, like 4, 8, 16, etc.
You'll see you can use them to assemble the whole sprite for the animation.
Then, if you want to, you can join up the segments to polish your work. If you leave it as it is, it'll be reminiscent of bosses/enemies encountered in quite a few games, like Castlevania, Metroid, and many other franchises.

Thanked by:
(07-05-2011, 05:46 PM)Chris2Balls [:B] Wrote: Like a centipede/millipede?

Here is what I suggest you do:
[Image: p2fFO.png]
First, you make a sprite of each segment in the desired amount of angles, like 4, 8, 16, etc.
You'll see you can use them to assemble the whole sprite for the animation.
Then, if you want to, you can join up the segments to polish your work. If you leave it as it is, it'll be reminiscent of bosses/enemies encountered in quite a few games, like Castlevania, Metroid, and many other franchises.

If you look at my post above, I'm not looking for a fluidly moving snake-like boss, but rather as a junior form for those two creatures described, and in a (partially) static, non-moving moving form, much like it's inspiration. Thank you very much for helping btw.
Thanked by:
i beg your pardon, i hadn't seen or read the mentioned post...

all is not lost, though. you can still create the segments (different angles for all the pieces won't be necessary this time) according to the stat distribution, and refine the rough edges caused by the combination after.

this projects sounds interesting, if not a bit like spore. i'll be keeping an eye out for this!

Thanked by: