Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
So... What do you tell people who don't like people sharing/using ripped models?
So I figure this is as good as a place as any, and I understand that the people here at this forum are the type who should like sharing models, sprites etc. But recently I found out that a friend of mine who I thought was totally cool with the idea of people using ripped models in actuality is very opposed to the idea. Now me personally I enjoy using ripped models and such.

But, what do you tell people who don't like people sharing/using ripped models?

An honest question that I feel fits this forum.
Thanked by:
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by 'telling' people. Do you mean telling them about your contributions?
Because if you've done something that someone else wouldn't, their opinion of you is only faltered by their own ethics.

...Personally, I enjoy ripping models more than sharing them. But if I lose interest in them, then I'll share them where I think others will appreciate them the most. And if I lose interest in sharing them, they collect dust XD .
Thanked by:
nothing. if that's what they think, then let them.
[Image: ZRdfkWQ.jpg]
Thanked by:
I haven't had to worry too much about that to be honest although I can definitely see it coming up. But for one thing it usually helps to know the reason so you can sort of form your answer based on that. It also depends on the circumstances though I personally have no problem with it until someone tries to use them for profit or claim that they're their work though that's obviously rather rare.

I'd probably point out that many companies are pretty cool with it first of all. I know for a fact that Epic Games has contacted the author of UE Viewer and complimented him on his work which would certainly imply that they have no problem with that. I'd imagine if they did that they might have had the program taken down. There's also Bungie which definitely doesn't seem to have had a problem with RoosterTeeth using Halo 3 models (I'm referring to the externally animated stuff) as well as Halo Reach textures for CG stuff in Red VS Blue episodes. Of course, there's also the many companies that I'm not 100% on, but have shown somehow that they are okay with at least their sprites being used in fangames such as Nintendo.

Sure there are almost certainly companies that are really bothered by it, but its not often you hear about cease and desists for this type of content. The Resource sites here wouldn't even EXIST if there were a number of companies opposed to them and might I mention that we've yet to have a company's request to have content removed from them.

Now obviously there are other reasons people don't like it such as because of some of the more silly things that are done with the models, but then that kind of thing would occur with or without ripped content. Though to be honest, I'd have to say its rather pathetic for anyone to let themselves be bothered over something so trivial as that and as such its a poor reason for disliking ripped model sharing/usage or anything really.

Now don't think I have a problem with people making their own personal rips and not releasing them; they have every right not to if they choose. I just personally believe that doing so for a petty reason such as the aforementioned one is childish, though as I said in their rights to do.

Thanked by:
"Sure there are almost certainly companies that are really bothered by it, but its not often you hear about cease and desists for this type of content. The Resource sites here wouldn't even EXIST if there were a number of companies opposed to them and might I mention that we've yet to have a company's request to have content removed from them."

This argument right here is exactly what I responded with. But he's upset because people are using a converter he made to convert models from a game that were previously unobtainable, and it's not the fact that they are using the converter to rip/convert or even use the models that he is upset about. He's mad because he saw a handful of people claim they made the models from scratch, and then they're sharing the models saying that they made them themselves. So he's pretty upset because he wanted people to only use his converter for "private use" and not to share the models because they "don't belong to them" and he doesn't want anyone else to have the models unless they legally own the game and ripped them themself.

And so he's pretty mad at them and somewhat at me because I have used his converter to rip and share a few models with people here and there. But apparently he's very mad because he doesn't think anyone should share any ripped model now regardless of how the rip was done. And while I disagree (heck sprite ripping and sharing has been going on for ages and nothing has ever gone wrong because of it) I'd rather be able to find a way to still get along with him even if it ends up being a "agree to disagree" situation. Thing that worries me most though is he is threatening to no longer make any future converters for anyone but himself, mostly because someone used his converter and claimed the model as "their own scratch model".

I apologize if this is a 'spam' thread or whatever. I just figured public discussion was a better route for this.
Thanked by:
yeah i have a whole bunch of bioshock 2 models that i found and when i converted them to MMD and started shareing them a bunch of users started to yell at me about them....which was really strange because they hadden't done so for any of the other models i'd shared with them.

sprite ripping/sprite editing
model ripping/model editing
they are both ways of createing something that dos'nt exist by useing something else as a base.
I don't understand why people don't like to share stuff, models, sprites, movies, video games. i share stuff with people all the time. sure it feels good to have the only model of something, but that just limits the art that can be made to just you only
i want to see what others can create with stuff...then get inspired to do things simular.
Thanked by: Garamonde
From the sound of it, it seems like he's upset because people used something he released in a different way than he had intended. That seems to have at least affected the way he sees model sharing/ripping as well. The way I see it, if you release something on the internet you should be prepared for whatever people might do with it, however unappealing that may be. Even if he's upset by it his releasing it at all, especially without some kind of warning saying not to distribute the models or whatever, is the root of the cause and however upset he may be he's gotta realize that. You can't be mad at someone for doing something they didn't realize they weren't supposed to do.

Even if he did give out a readme that said something along the lines of what they couldn't do, it IS the internet. People are known for doing anything and everything with basically anything that exists online. It'd be hard to believe he hadn't seen activity like this prior to releasing his converter either so he should have realized what he was getting into, especially the jackassery involved in some places. That kind of behavior is hardly exclusive to ripped content either which he probably knows as well somewhere. I will say that while it would be sad to see someone stop releasing converters, especially for reasons like this, he has every right to keep them to himself if he so chooses.

Edit: Also, I wouldn't say its that spammy of a thread mostly because of the legitimacy of the topic. He's not the only person I've heard of that's felt that way about this type of thing.

Hope everything goes well with you and him though. It seems dumb to stop being friends with someone over something like this.
Thanked by: Garamonde, Friedslick6
I don't have friends who make sprites.
Thanked by:
I'm confused Moth, care to elaborate on how that's relevant?
Thanked by:
(06-25-2011, 06:09 PM)Shadowth117 Wrote: I'm confused Moth, care to elaborate on how that's relevant?
Basically, I've never said a thing to anybody about their thoughts because I do not know anybody who does it.
Thanked by:
(06-27-2011, 04:53 PM)Mothman Wrote:
(06-25-2011, 06:09 PM)Shadowth117 Wrote: I'm confused Moth, care to elaborate on how that's relevant?
Basically, I've never said a thing to anybody about their thoughts because I do not know anybody who does it.

-.-;
dude there is a whole forum of people who make sprites.
even I make sprites
but thats not the point, this particular thread is about 3d models and why people rip models and then keep them for their selves...
this way we understand exactly how the model horder thinks that way we can have less bickering on the forum in general. perhaps they don't want their method to get used by the wrong people, perhaps they just want to enjoy it all to themselves...or perhaps they just want to shove it in peoples faces...you never know till you discuss it.

now if you are looking for sprites i could help if u need it just PM me....i might have something in my old archives that might be of use to you.

Thanked by:
Its also about trusting someone.
If the guy don't trust weel sure hes not gonna give em out to ya
gotta earn his trust, be more than a random guy on internet, be his friend, do stuff for him ect
And if you are honest and you really want to use them for *Self purpose*
well maybe he would be willing to give them out to ya Tongue
Thanked by:
I really don't think that's the point. This isn't so much about sharing models between say 2 people so much as releasing models to the public the way this site does. If someone doesn't want them released to the public and you're the type to do that then they likely wouldn't want to give them to you even if you were on good terms.
Thanked by:
Am I guessing properly that this is in relation to the controversy over the Sonic model ripper?

If it is, I'm in complete disagreement with the author. It's one thing to code something that nobody else has, but keep it to yourself.

Posting up videos showing stuff that will never get distributed is just plain dick-waving, and nobody likes that.
Thanked by:
yeah...i don't particularly like seeing people running around wave'n their willies in everyone's faces
but as long as someone out there rips models and distributes them people can try their best to ignore the idiots and continue their prodjects. plus their's always custom models
Thanked by: