Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[FANGAME][PLAYABLE] Metal Crash (Crash Bandicoot+Metal Slug fangame)
Well first of all, heya to all Cute I'm new to this forum.
ENOUGH OF THAT.

Info:
So, I've been working on Crash Bandicoot fan-game named "Metal Crash".
The project wasn't originally going to be Crash Bandicoot fan-game, but Metal Slug or Shadow the Hedgehog fan-game. As I got further in the engine, I started to add in many Crash Bandicoot elements.. starting with basic boxes. After adding so many Crash elements, I decided to make the game Crash Bandicoot fan-game all together.

Now, this ofcourse maybe wasn't the best option I know Tongue Crash with guns? Nuuuu Very Sad But I rather liked the idea and kept working on it. And got some kind of engine demo made and some video of my game and everything. Right now, the game is only lacking enemies.. Which is actually the biggest thing I should add in.

Story:
I'll update this other time. But basically, typical Crash Bandicoot kind of deal. Cortex is evil, and Crash has to save everything.

Gameplay:
Gameplay is a mix of.. a few styles Tongue Mainly Crash Bandicoot and Contra / Metal Slug / Alien Hominid and Megaman (once I get enemies in).
Basically, you move and jump around like in Contra and such games, but have Crash Bandicoot elements mixed in.
Crash doesn't spin in this game *BOOOOO is heard in the audience*. Instead, he uses different guns to get his way through the levels. Crash may also throw grenades.. Wumpas packed up with extra juice that explodes on contact.
During the levels, Crash may collect bolts (Ratchet & Clank reference) which he will eventually be using as money to buy different things.. Mainly weapons Big Grin

Levels:
I'm planning on Crash 3 kind of set-up on levels. 5 Levels and a boss, repeat 5 times. So 25 levels in total with 5 bosses. Secret 5 levels will be unlockable by collecting relics, and I might have some other Secret levels and bosses aswell.
Level sceneries would be most probably rather Crash styled, having sceneries such as Medieval, Forest, Arctic areas, Volcanos, Factorys, Ancient areas, and such.

Videos:

Small update video here with slight updates those will be in next demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRJp8Z7BOeE

Screenshots:
I know people just loooove screenshots.. atleast I do!
Please don't think of the graphics too hardly Tongue It's just filler scenery graphics for test level. Only Crash himself and boxes are final.
[Image: screen1oe.png]
[Image: screen2sz.png]
[Image: screen3mj.png]

Demos:
You want playable demo with one level? It's yours my friend:
Demo 0.1: http://www.mediafire.com/?4hrs8usvbiy623m
Demo 0.2: http://www.mediafire.com/?pxqn13bqqjpww7j

Incase any of the links gets outdated or such, let me know.

Control:
Explained at the start of demo.. buuut:
A and S switch weapons (3 weapons for the demo)
D shows misc. hud stuff, such as, if you got the crystal, or how many boxes you got
Z shoots
X jumps and double jumps
C throws grenades.
Arrow keys control Crash and his aiming.

Misc info:
Game created using Multimedia Fusion 2.
Most of graphics custom made in MS paint.

Enjoy the demos and thank you for your interrest Cute
Thanked by:
This is actually looking very nice! You have some solid mechanics here. I dunno how I feel about Crash with a pistol (wumpa fruit bazooka though? Sure.), and the crash and boxes are very basic sprite-wise. If you can get a good pixelartist to help you out; this could be pretty sweet!
Specs 'n' Headphones has been revamped! Check it, yo.
[Image: 10y3mgj.png][Image: groove-1.gif]
Thanks to Pik and Solink; they are sexy people. Heart
Thanked by: Alpha Six
(03-02-2011, 11:08 AM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: This is actually looking very nice! You have some solid mechanics here. I dunno how I feel about Crash with a pistol (wumpa fruit bazooka though? Sure.), and the crash and boxes are very basic sprite-wise. If you can get a good pixelartist to help you out; this could be pretty sweet!

Thanks dude! Big Grin And yeah.. I can understand people not liking the idea of Crash with guns (other than that wumpa bazooka.. which i might actually add in Tongue).. but hopefully people can enjoy the game for what it is. And yeah.. I might add alittle more detail into Crash' sprites.. maybe.. hah Tongue

I haven't really even thought of having someone to help with pixel art and all.. pretty much have planned to do it all on my own (so much work.. Very Sad ).. But if anyone would be willing to help, that would be pretty awesome. Especially with everythin to do with scenery.
Thanked by:
Dunno, are you gonna have guns all the time? If so, maybe you should make some of the crates immune to them, at least the Nitros and TNTs, or it would make them completely pointless to be used in puzzles, I just made a Crash Bandicoot level for a team project (Mario/crossover fan game) and I made all the crates immune to ranged weapons, only hit by melee ones, the puzzles were too easy if you could break them from far.
[Image: mkfbutton2.png]

Fusion Fangaming: Home of Mushroom Kingdom Fusion
http://fusionfangaming.spriters-resource.com/index.php

Thanks to TSR for hosting.
Thanked by:
I personally think all of Crash's ranged weapons should be based on Wumpa Fruit Technology™-- it just feels more natural for Crash. It's also awesome.

Regardless, this seems to be shaping up well; I'd take Del's advice, though.
Thanked by:
This is looking really nice! Instead of making it a crash game, why not change the sprites and make it an original one with your own characters? I feel like this poject could do realy well with your own characters!
Thanked by: Sengir, Gwen
Thanks for the advices and all, guys! Cute I did actually think of making boxes immune to bullets but wasn't sure if I would do that. I'll definetely change it to that.

And could change all the bullets to some kind of wumpas haha Tongue Even small ones.

And having my own characters.. well.. I did think of that too! Tongue But yeah as I added more Crash elements (those I just.. felt I had to add haha XD), it all just leaned towards Crash soon. I don't really have any idea for my own character anyway.. but I'll be sure to keep that idea open.
I'm adding spin attack into the game. Will be used when you're on ground, hold down and press Z.
I figured there's no way to destroy arrow crates if crates are immune to bullets.. so I'm adding that spin for that Cute Plus a crash should always have a spin anyway Tongue
Thanked by:
Medevenx has a thread in the Spriting and Pixel Art section. In his first post there are some characters which I feel would fit this game rather nicely. Ask him if he'd want to jump on board with this project.
Thanked by:
By the way there are some better 2D sprites I found, they're from Twinsanity Mobile, but I'm not sure about the resolution of your game, maybe they're too small, not to mention you'd need more custom edits to carry weapons and stuff..

[Image: crashsprites.png]

Also as an alternative for the weapons, maybe you can use Dr. Neo Cortex' style of weapons, I made a couple beam sprites for my boss battle here:

(I got no uploaded sprites though.. just a video, if you want the tileset I used for this level with help from various spriters ask me)

[Image: mkfbutton2.png]

Fusion Fangaming: Home of Mushroom Kingdom Fusion
http://fusionfangaming.spriters-resource.com/index.php

Thanks to TSR for hosting.
Thanked by:
Usin guns like what cortex had in Crash 3 and twinsanity was in my mind too.. and I might add it in too. My guns are.. well.. shitty right now Tongue And I could really use that tiling and all, It looks really nice.

Oh and Zapchu25, I'll be sure to check that out, can't hurt Big Grin
Thanked by:
Alright I took grenades off Tongue I made C to have Crash do his classic spin move.
Grenades might be back as special weapon type or such.

Edit:
Sorry for double posts! I believe that's not really liked on the forums.. Sorreh Cute
Thanked by:
Double posts are fine as long as it's relevant and new content.

Consider maybe guns having very limited ammo; or the stages giving out ammo appropriate to the level design. A stage that's based heavily around platforming and TNT puzzles? You're only gonna get a few bazooka shots. Cortex giant robot fight? Crates full of N.Gin missiles! A stage where you have to kill all the enemies? Might be interesting if the crates only give you grenade ammo.

But yeah, it would be a bit of a shame if it was just a Crash fangame. It can be something of a loveletter to early Crash game design (Legend of Princess comes to mind as a Zelda equivalent), but with original character design.
Specs 'n' Headphones has been revamped! Check it, yo.
[Image: 10y3mgj.png][Image: groove-1.gif]
Thanks to Pik and Solink; they are sexy people. Heart
Thanked by:
Levels would've prolly had enemies in same kinda rate as some Metal Slug or Megaman games. I don't even have basic engine for enemies yet though so my test levels so far have been just concentrating around crates.

I guess I could change those guns and all so that all bullets are limited haha Tongue No bullets? Just spin your way through enemies.

And I'm also gonna be evil and annoying by just having crash himself in this game as playable character. The game would have different levels though (With coco maybe).. what I mean with this is well.. like those water scooter levels in Crash 3.

Edit: I'll keep basic weapon in.. I got too frustrated trying to change my engine haha Tongue
Thanked by:
(03-03-2011, 11:56 AM)MetalSonic3 Wrote: Levels would've prolly had enemies in same kinda rate as some Metal Slug or Megaman games. I don't even have basic engine for enemies yet though so my test levels so far have been just concentrating around crates.

I guess I could change those guns and all so that all bullets are limited haha Tongue No bullets? Just spin your way through enemies.

And I'm also gonna be evil and annoying by just having crash himself in this game as playable character. The game would have different levels though (With coco maybe).. what I mean with this is well.. like those water scooter levels in Crash 3.

Edit: I'll keep basic weapon in.. I got too frustrated trying to change my engine haha Tongue

I feel like by doing this you take out the game's entire originality. Please keep the guns. Insert your own characters/story line. This game could be really awesome if you vear away from crash Bandicoot.
Thanked by:
Guns shall stay in, but I made them work more like in Alien Hominid or Metal Slug for example.
Basically, you can't select your gun too well, but you may find ammos for different guns, when you pick up the ammo/gun, it gets selected and stays on until you get another gun or run out of ammo, when you run out of ammo your basic gun gets re-equipped. Cute

And I'll really think about changing Crash to some other character.
Thanked by: