Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Adventure Mode?
This is something that I've been thinking of for a while now..are we going to have an Adventure Mode for our game? I know it may be early for discussing this since we don't even have the sprites near done yet but I'd love to discuss it.

I'd prefer it to be more in depth with the plot more than subspace. I don't know what this "new adventure mode" would be about though. We could all throw in our heads together for this one.

Another thing I'd like to see in the new adventure mode is cutscenes. They could be like comic strips or something..not something complicated like flash movies though haha. That'd take forever. If you need an artist for that, I'd be more than glad to help, though someone would need to photoshop the drawings because I'm not good with that kind of stuff Sick
[Image: 9fryz.gif] [Image: QUmE6.gif]
[Image: XwNYE.gif]
[Image: qjGOacY.png]

Click the link below to view the New Super Mario Kart Project! [Seizure Warning]

Thanked by:
That sounds pretty good to make the storyline parts into cutscenes though everyone wnats it to be the adventure mode from melee. I would kinda prefer it like a story myself.
Thanked by:
I like this idea to, and why not make a new enemy? we just need a good idea though on physical + mental features, we need a voice for him/her, whats his motive, and attacks.
Thanked by:
As much as I'd adore an actual story, Melee style is easier to do, and it's not really BAD, per se, it's just different. Personally, I think a way around both of them is to give personality to a Melee style mode. For instance, when an adventure mode boss shows up, whether they be playable characters or bigger, badder guys, send them in with some pizzaz, have them fall from the sky and land on the ground and strike some sort of funny, dramatic or threatening pose. Having them just pop on screen is a little underwhelming.

But if it does end up having a story, I'd love to contribute to that mess. I have tons of ideas for junk like that. xD
Thanked by: Baegal
I'd love to contribute to the story, if there is one.

If you go with a Melee styled adventure mode, or something of the sort, you could always mix things up by having the levels chosen at random. Not randomly generated, but create 40 or so stages and have only eleven of them play at a time. That way it's different for at least four times.
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
Thanked by:
Yeah we should stick with Melee style. Adding a story is a whole new can of worm. Imagine the arguments! Either way this time well be sure to make more REAL levels like Mario had, and not "Fight two tiny Donkey Kongs" stages. I always disliked that.

Thanked by: Ton, Neslug, Baegal
Melee style could work, but letting players sorta 'create their own adventure' from some 40 premade stages like Kriven already said, being able to pick between two or three stages to play every couple stages.

I think there should also be a new mode that is less linear and has a small story for each character. The stages you play vary by the character you picked. As Mario, for example, you get to go against Wario with Luigi on your side and at the end you fight Bowser in a Stamina Match on the bridge section at the end of SMB World 8-4.
Thanked by:
But that could cause some controversy, especially with characters like Pit, who have no-one else from ther series to battle against.

I dont know. Thats my opinion. It sounds like a good idea otherwise
Thanked by:
(01-29-2010, 08:21 AM)Neslug Wrote: Melee style could work, but letting players sorta 'create their own adventure' from some 40 premade stages like Kriven already said, being able to pick between two or three stages to play every couple stages.

I think there should also be a new mode that is less linear and has a small story for each character. The stages you play vary by the character you picked. As Mario, for example, you get to go against Wario with Luigi on your side and at the end you fight Bowser in a Stamina Match on the bridge section at the end of SMB World 8-4.

Why not have it so that there's multiple ends to most of the levels that determine which level you go to next or maybe have it so that if you fulfill certain conditions you go to a different level or something.
Thanked by:
(01-28-2010, 09:00 PM)TomGuycott Wrote: As much as I'd adore an actual story, Melee style is easier to do, and it's not really BAD, per se, it's just different. Personally, I think a way around both of them is to give personality to a Melee style mode. For instance, when an adventure mode boss shows up, whether they be playable characters or bigger, badder guys, send them in with some pizzaz, have them fall from the sky and land on the ground and strike some sort of funny, dramatic or threatening pose. Having them just pop on screen is a little underwhelming.

But if it does end up having a story, I'd love to contribute to that mess. I have tons of ideas for junk like that. xD
this, mainly
[Image: OH4K4jX.gif] [Image: R7WBBzo.gif] [Image: TsJpssj.gif]
-----------------------[Love]-----------------------
Thanked by:
i like the ideas going here i think a brawl story for this game would cause utter chaos, sticking with melee seems like a good idea, and i liked the idea of maybe a mini cut scene for bosses, like TomGuycott said. also with the choose your own adventure thing, why not take a tip from Castlevania 3? at the end of a stage you get to choose your next level and the selection kinda spider webs threw stages? some hidden exits and all that?
[Image: 6yfjuBN.png]

Thanked by:
It would be kind of cool to do a storyline for certain characters as a comic strip. Though we could still stick with the melee adventure style of gameplay.
(01-29-2010, 06:39 PM)Brawler1207 Wrote: It would be kind of cool to do a storyline for certain characters as a comic strip.

I like this idea. The main map could be a big book or something.
[Image: SMB1BlooperMediumAni.gif]
As much as I'd love an awesome scene where O2 possesses King Dedede, only to have him knocked out of him by a KO punch from Little Mac as his first introduction, or a storyline revolving around a cloaked figure who wants the Devil's Machine for reasons unknown who turns out to be Mewtwo making is triumphant return back into a Smash game, but only after he is attacked by Solid Snake (it all makes sense because Mewtwo's design is inspired by Giygas' from Mother 1, and both Mewtwo and Snake are clones, GET IT!?), it'd be little more than fan fiction, no matter which one of us contributes to it.

Really I'm just reiterating what I said up above, but I'll be a little bit more descriptive this time with actual examples. Imagine there being a very Mario-like level that ended with a run through a Doomship or Fortress-like level, which ended with a battle with Bowser. Instead of him just appearing, have him drop down and land with a roar, or have him fly in on his Clown Car with Jr.

Or in a Solid Snake level, have Snake tailing the player the whole way in the shadows and the backgrounds, and have him pop out from under a cardboard box at the very end.

Or in a Mother themed level, maybe the level could be made more intense by the Masked Man being far on top of something in the background, and he keeps swinging his sword and sending lightning crashing down on the field, and at the end he leaps up into the air and lands in the foreground to fight you.

Or a Pokemon themed level that ends in a stadium where Pokemon Trainer points and challenges you.

I could really go on, and maybe I should, but only if the style of giving personality to the characters is more or less acceptable by everyone else.
Thanked by:
Here's an idea.

Basically, the Villain characters will be provided as the "bosses" of each level. In the Mario stage, you'll go through, IDK, Mushroom Kingdom ala Melee. Reaching the Checkpoint will bring you into a fight with Mario and Peach (Luigi replaces one of them if your player character is Mario or Peach). You continue further on, and you reach the Boss Battle. Boss Battle being Bowser in his Koopa Klown Car. Beating this boss will give you a chance to fight to unlock Bowser in the game (Except, we've all decided that Bowser was going to be a starter =/)

These Villain characters will fight differently than the actual fighter battles (You'll end up fighting DK and Diddy normally, while K. Rool will have Canonballs raining down upon you. King Dedede might get possessed by O2, so you gotta knock his HP down to whatever. Ridley called his buddy Kraid to help destroy you.) And through multiple play throughs, you'll eventually unlock the entire cast of villains (If I do believe, Bowser, K.Rool, Ganon, Ridley, Bowser Jr., Dedede, Wolf, Mewtwo, Porky Minch, and ROB (If we count the whole Ancient Minister gig from Brawl)). The other characters, could be unlocked through Classic Mode, minigames, Event Matches (?) and hell, even through Trophy Collection

IDK, platforming overload?
Thanked by: