Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Star Fox (Custom) – Sprite Discussion Thread
Hello everybody! How's it going? Grey_Wolf_Leader here with an announcement to make!

I may have made my first appearance on this site as a ripper, but my real passion with spriting is making customs, and I have dedicated myself to a specific project.
I have been a loyal fan of the Star Fox series since the day I first played Star Fox 64 at my 2nd cousin's home. I was instantly hooked.
When I got into spriting, one of the first thing I did was look for Star Fox sprites online. Not easy to do, considering all of the Star Fox games are 3-D. All I found was an okay sheet of Krystal (from this site actually), a great rip of the original Arwings from the first Star Fox (from the ShyGuy Kingdom), and then more okay sprites of Fox and Falco from two guys on DeviantArt.
I felt however that these sprites weren't up to the quality that I was looking for (not only considering the fact they are all different styles—the Arwing sprites were really screenshots of the 3-D models in flight), so I made the decision to make sprites for them myself.
Now as a guy who's such a fan of Star Fox and trying his hand at the art of spriting, I feel compelled to create as many sprites of each and every character as I can from the franchise, including the old non-cannon ones. A project that is no small banana, I assure you all. But I've already begun work on it, and I have something to show for it!

First up is none other than our favorite vulpine hero himself: Fox McCloud!
[Image: FoxMcCloudSpritesV02.png]
Here Fox is in a mix of his Star Fox 64 outfit and his Super Smash Bros Brawl outfit, the best two in my opinion. (The one from Assault was no slouch though; I may do him in his Assault outfit later on.) My sprites of Fox may not look the best ever (his arms look a little thin, I may need to go back and make them thicker), but I am highly pleased that his head and helmet came out so darn well. I'm pretty certain everyone can tell it's our hero right off the bat. Don't worry 'bout the sheet's size, I'm hard at work making more sprites of him!
(And yes, I know Fox looks like he has a permanent scowl on his face. But that is the result of his eyebrows' natural shape.)

Next, everybody's favorite sexy blue vixen, Krystal!
[Image: KrystalSpritesV02.png]
I really put a lot of work into her sprites here. (I could not settle for her head being anything less than perfect!) And yes, I know that the outfit she's wearing is not one from the games, but I had to give her something other than that skimpy catsuit she wears in Assault. Not to worry, people. I intend to make sprites of her in all of her outfits. (Command's will be easy because it is merely a recolor of her Assault outfit. Adventures will be the most interesting since she is wearing the most different outfit.)

BTW: Those of you who are hardcore Mega Man fans and big spriting buffs will likely realize that these sprites are all based on the Mega Man Zero & ZX style. I took great pain to select the characters and biometal suits from those games whose poses best match each individual character's personality here. Please don't get mad at me because they are "edits" and not "full customs". My skill level isn’t that high yet.

Next, it's Space Dynamics Co. Ltd.'s one and only SFX-1 Arwing!
[Image: ArwingSpritesV02.png]
You'll notice that these sprites' style is slightly different from Fox and Krystal's, that's because these are based upon the original 3-D models from Star Fox (1993). I still need to tweak the color scheme some in order to make them look right, but I am quite proud of how these came out.

Now comes the part you all love, criticizing my work. Be brutal and honest, but also be courteous. Oh, and also be specific about what is right/wrong! That's all I ask.
This is all I can show for now. Enjoy!

P.S. – Oh, before I go, I need to make something very clear. I'm a very busy guy with many different hobbies, and I may be going back to college soon to continue my education. With that one-two punch, it naturally means that work on this project with be painfully slow. I may not be back with new stuff for weeks and maybe even months at a time, but I will do my best to monitor this thread in-between updates. I have every full intention of seeing this project through to the bitter end. Don't lose hope if I disappear for a while, I promise I will return. I sincerely apologize for making you guys wait.

See ya all later! Grey_Wolf_Leader, over and out!
[Image: vdasvnkp.png][Image: mariosoniclinkfoxkrysta.png]Mario is red, Sonic is blue, Link is green, and Fox likes Krystal too! Wink
Click here to level up my card!

Thanked by: Gollum
i really want to see how are you going to work outside the original sprite's poses.
Thanked by: Chris2Balls [:B]
I wonder that too. I've been praticing a little bit recently, and made a completely custom pose for Krystal that actually looked good. (Sadly, I didn't save it though.) *hits self over the head with a book*

Anyway, I first want to focus on the basic poses so I can tweak my spriting style before branching out into full customs.
[Image: vdasvnkp.png][Image: mariosoniclinkfoxkrysta.png]Mario is red, Sonic is blue, Link is green, and Fox likes Krystal too! Wink

Thanked by:
not to seem like a bitch, but...
Quote:Next, everybody's favorite sexy blue vixen, Krystal!
...not everone is a furry ):

ontopic the sprites are okay
Thanked by: Gors
[quote='Rhymey' pid='218282' dateline='1263875982']
Quote:Next, everybody's favorite sexy blue vixen, Krystal![quote]

[Image: furryForKrystal-782838.jpg]
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
I prefer women with less body hair
(01-18-2010, 11:51 PM)Vipershark Wrote: [quote='Rhymey' pid='218282' dateline='1263875982']
Quote:Next, everybody's favorite sexy blue vixen, Krystal![quote]

[Image: furryForKrystal-782838.jpg]
unlike you, i dont fap to cartoon rats. hairy tits are rather disgusting.
Pretty solid so far, though I'd like to see more poses. Krystal's side face needs some work too.
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by:
Are you planning to make a Brawl moveset for Fox or something? I'm curious as to what you're planning...
Thanked by:
Foxs Idle should have his head slightly more forward us with the head from row two left five.Tried changing it myself and it looked pretty good.
Thanked by:
This is delightful. Though I'm not as uh...attracted to the cast as some people, Star Fox has always held a place in my heart. Oddly enough despite my horrible motor skills and reaction time, I've actually beaten the original game on the Super Nintendo.

Anyway, these sprites are excellent, despite being edits ( I use that term loosely here, these are actually well done and show good effort.) I fully condone this operation and hereby declare it awesome in the eyes of my 'company'. I can't wait to see the completed sheets when you're done.

Out of curiosity, are you going to do off-game characters like Dr.Andross as seen in one of those comics? (I forget which one.) Hell I'd pay to see a well done sheet of him. In fact I kinda need it. In the mean time, keep up the incredible work.
Thanked by:
(01-18-2010, 11:39 PM)Rhymey Wrote: not to seem like a bitch, but...
Quote:Next, everybody's favorite sexy blue vixen, Krystal!

unlike you, i dont fap to cartoon rats. hairy tits are rather disgusting.

When I wrote that, I wasn't really paying attention. I was just being, what's the word? Silly? It was just the first descriptive word that popped into my head. And it, well, how else would you describe her? I'm not really like "that" at all. I just forgot how big a deal this is. Big oops on my part! :-(

And in response to Blitz Trooper: I'll try your suggestion right now!
Response to Buzzer465: It's a definite possibility. Maybe that will be the first full custom stuff I'll try for Fox using this style.
Response to Tonberry2k: I'll go back and see what I can do about her head. Making more poses, however, is going to take some time.

Thanked by:
a little less words and more action please
Thanked by:
Not a bad start, but I'm seeing signs of the infamous "Zero air-hump".
Thanked by:
It looks okay, I like the variety of staff, head, and tail poses, it allows for people to mess around with the sprites if there are a bunch of other separate parts for each individual piece of the body. I hope that the jumping won't be the whole jump that so many customs that try to have the character jump exactly like zero, kind of like on that Link sheet that mimics Zero's movements. The arms on some of the poses also look like noodles, a bit too long and maybe a bit too thin. For a start it's not too bad, but it could use work.
Thanked by: