Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Castlevania: Harmony of Despair data file info
I took a look at the .opd files but it's not at all clear how to read them. They probably do have some sort of frame or piece grabbing info but these are sheetable without that, it'll just take some manual work.

Just a note about the .csr files, they have the image dimensions at 0x20 as two 2-byte integers, most of the time it's 0x80 times 0x80 (so 128x128). The image data also starts at 0x230.

The palette files are indeed weird, I thought there might be a more reasonable method for getting the right colours but as you said, it just seems to be that you have to multiply it by 8 (or, shift 3 bits left). The only reason I can think of for storing it like that is possibly so that it's easier for when sprites need to look darker (like in a shadow or dimly lit room, I dunno). Shifting bits left might be easier/better than shifting them to the left for the game's engine, so they store the palettes as dark and just light them up when needed. That's just an idea though, as I said I haven't played the game so I don't know if they ever need to be dark.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Castlevania: Harmony of Despair data file info - by puggsoy - 04-11-2015, 12:46 AM