Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Game Vs. Game! This week: SA1 Vs. SA2
First, let me say that i have played Mario games between Commodore 64 and Nintendo 64, so mostly 2ds.
Alright let me be the devil advocate:
Sm64 is a great game but its not a Mario game, in fact it has almost nothing to do with Mario. If you would change the texture in the game, it would be very hard to see it is a Mario game. None of the usual power up, a life bar and most importantly, controls with a steep learning curve and no clear goals in levels. 
For the time, it was awesome to explore and discover a 3d world with Mario jumping all around, but the stage can be really confusing and not kid-friendly, especially compared to the original. I made my 7 years old nephew play Sm64 and he had fun jumping around, but was hardly able to accomplish anything, and he has played a lot of 2d Mario and he is not bad at all. Often, your only hint about where the star is, is at the start of the level. If the game was remade with todays standards, there would be quest markers everywhere. 
Also, there so little differences between some stars that it feel like padding. For example, in the first water world, you get to go to the same ship 2-3 times and just solve a different puzzle. Where in Smw your always exploring new areas, and there are a lot of them. Your act doesnt seem meaningful in Sm64 cause your just collecting stars to a open a door that says it need X stars, your not (directly) going to a boss.  
Also, Smw has multiplayer.
So yeah, to me, Smw > Sm64
[Image: w5xqva2wqod7ni6zg.jpg]
Thanked by: recme

Messages In This Thread
Game Vs. Game! This week: SA1 Vs. SA2 - by recme - 03-06-2015, 08:32 AM
RE: Game Vs. Game! This week: Super Mario World vs Super Mario 64 - by daemoth - 03-07-2015, 10:43 PM