Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Top Ten of the Week #8 - Does this battle make my butt look fat?
Oh ho, looks like people might be a bit shy to post their choices for this week. Don't worry, we're not gonna judge. Wink wink.

As for me, sheesh I still need to post my list for last week. Okay, let me preface this by saying I haven't actually played many licensed games in my lifetime, as my parents didn't really tend to buy them growing up. So I apologize if my choices seem a bit ... shallow ... it's because I don't have many games to pick from in the first place.

[Image: 373159-alien-isolation-for-pc.jpg]
#7: Alien: Isolation (PC)

The only reason I am putting this one so low on the list is because I haven't personally played the game myself, and probably never will because I'm a complete pussy when it comes to horror games. I did watch Markiplier's full playthrough of the game, however, and it looks pretty friggin' sweet. My favorite part of this game is how the technology seems to come straight out of the early eighties rather than highly futuristic, purely in respect to the source material.

[Image: Jpsnes_shot.png]
#6: Jurassic Park (SNES)

I'll be honest, I have no flippin' clue what the goal of this game is even supposed to be. You wander around the island slaying dinosaurs and picking up various different types of ammo, occasionally going inside buildings which you explore in an odd first-person goggle mode. Sometimes there are eggs to pick up and there are random letters just lying around? And I mean alphabet letters, not letters that people write to each other. This game was confusing, but I still played it a lot as a kid, and probably gets credit more out of nostalgia factor than anything. Thanks to the lack of any type of save feature, I never made much actual progress in this game, but it was entertaining enough.

Also this game has one of my favorite VG music tracks ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1EGNaPTACc

[Image: Jurassic%20Park_Aug19%2022_30_37.png]
#5: Jurassic Park (Sega Genesis)

Hey, how many movie games can you think of where you actually get to play as the antagonist and not just the hero? None you say? What if I also told you that said antagonist is a FRIGGIN' VELOCIRAPTOR. The Grant campaign is pretty decent, but I'm pretty sure everyone who played this game was more into it for the opportunity to play as a seven foot tall force of pure carnivorous destruction. I'll be honest, I've gotten to the end of this game plenty of times, but I've never officially completed it in either campaign because I have no flippin' clue how to make the dinosaur skeletons fall at the end. Ah well.

[Image: BATMAN-ARKHAM-ASYLUM-PS3.jpg]
#4: Batman: Arkham Series (Various)

I'm putting "series", but to be honest I've only played the first two. I couldn't decide which one of the two I really prefer. The sequel definitely adds a lot of cool stuff and brings in some of my favorite Batman villains like Victor Fries (which is a really awesome fight btw), but also adds a lot of unnecessary bullshit and makes you feel a bit like you're way too overpowered. The first game seems more focused and has a better atmosphere, but gets a bit monotonous after a while. It's hard to pick. I think my favorite thing about these games is that while it's set in a nonspecific Batman canon, it tends to be modeled more like the classic Batman The Animated Series, which is like my favorite incarnation of Batman EVER. But eh, who knows if I'll even buy the third game, the concept feels like it's gotten a bit stale at this point.

[Image: gooftroop3.jpg]
#3: Goof Troop (SNES)

I liked this game before Game Grumps made it popular. (Bunch of poseurs ...)

This is probably the licensed game I played more of out of all the others I've ever even touched combined, mostly because this was such a terrific co-op experience. I honestly couldn't even tell you if the game was any good when playing it alone, because seriously, who would even want to?

[Image: StrongBad105A.jpg] [Image: sam-max-culture-shock-f.jpg]
#2: Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People (Wii) & #1: Sam and Max Series (PC)

Telltale does a lot of licensed games, and while games like Walking Dead or Wolf Among Us tend to get more notoriety, I'm personally more fond of their more traditional point-and-click style games, and the Sam and Max episodes are definitely my favorite. If you ask me, humor is definitely a huge selling point for most point and click titles, and this duo has it in spades. While the quality of the games tend to fluctuate a bit from title to title, I definitely find the series in its entirety to be extremely enjoyable and reccomend it to anyone who enjoys a bit of humor and problem solving in their games rather than just blowing shit up all the time (not that these two don't enjoy a dose of good ol' fashion explosions!).

As for Strong Bad's game, it's essentially the same deal just with the Strong Bad flair. (I listed them together so I didn't have to write out similar descriptions twice). Strong Bad's game is arguably the wackier of the two, but I dunno, I just like the Sam and Max games better. Can't really say why.

Sorry I could only come up with seven this week, but the only other liscensed games I've ever played either really sucked, or were played so incredibly long ago that I can barely remember them anymore.
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Top Ten of the Week - by MrYoshbert - 01-19-2015, 01:08 PM
RE: Top Ten of the Week - by Kriven - 01-19-2015, 01:59 PM
RE: Top Ten of the Week - by Goemar - 01-19-2015, 04:56 PM
RE: Top Ten of the Week #3 - Pokemon! - by Gwen - 02-01-2015, 01:29 PM
RE: Top Ten of the Week #3 - Pokemon! - by Koh - 02-01-2015, 01:44 PM
RE: Top Ten of the Week #3 - Pokemon! - by Joxon - 02-01-2015, 03:22 PM
RE: Top Ten of the Week #3 - Pokemon! - by Helmo - 02-01-2015, 07:38 PM
RE: Top Ten of the Week #3 - Pokemon! - by Helmo - 02-03-2015, 03:42 PM
RE: Top Ten of the Week #5 - Hopelessly Romantic - by Jermungandr - 02-16-2015, 01:44 AM