Users browsing this thread: 16 Guest(s)
THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread
(05-06-2014, 01:12 PM)Iocus Wrote:
(05-06-2014, 11:06 AM)Kosheh Wrote: ...
It's up to everyone else, but given the characters and size ratios, this sounds a little overpowered lol. This would work in an arena fighter like Power Stone, or a brawler fighter like Smash Bros, but in a sidescrolling fighter, this has a little too much utility, lol.
I can see the exploding nut as an escape/chase mechanic in like Smash Bros, but in this kind of game, you're being propelled higher to...do an additional aerial attack...? But in a game like SF, Snake (which this mechanic sounds like) would seem out of place and probably broken, as he'd encourage a dash-in, lay mine, dash-around until enemy trips it kind of mechanic.

I dunno Kosheh, characters who rely on traps is not exactly unheard of in 2-D fighters (Rachel Alucard and Mu-12 in Blazblue, Hisui in Melty Blood, Alice Margatroid in Scarlet Weather Rhapsody and Mononobe no Futo in Hopeless Masquerade, just to name a few). I mean, just because it's a traditional-style fighter doesn't mean everyone has to be a shoto. In fact, since the cast is so varied and wacky, I'd imagine unique moves are to be expected. Of course, balancing these sorts of moves could be tricky, but I doubt it's impossible to make them fair with the right amount of delay and damage output.
Okay you got me ):

The examples you provided (namely Alice and Hisui) (I assume you're also referring to things like Carl Clover in Blazblue, too) uhh, most of those are set to detonate on command/button press, so there is some strategy still to setting up said traps and then executing it. The nuts, on the other hand were to explode on contact, as well as stay on the ground. Neither sounds that bad in a brawler where you have other platforms to jump to, or a 3D arena fighter where you can just walk around them, but in a 2D plane fighter you're literally forcing the enemy to jump over each nut in order to reach Midi - and you're encouraging a hard turtling style of gameplay.

I'm sure you all know how fun it is to play against someone who turtles the entire match.

Of course you want to avoid movesets to be all shotos, but when the characters have such basic movesets to begin with, I'd assume that kind of utility is kind of OP

...then again, if I recall most of those games also have high combo counts and aerial raves where the trap-style moveset assists in juggling...which idk if we have those kind of mechanics in TFR :I
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - by Gors - 06-02-2012, 11:24 AM
i noticed, Crappy, i noticed - by Tellis - 06-07-2012, 08:33 PM
RE: i noticed, Crappy, i noticed - by Baegal - 06-07-2012, 08:37 PM
RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - by Kosheh - 05-06-2014, 10:24 PM