Users browsing this thread: 16 Guest(s)
THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread
Hey hey hey

let's stop this wild colorfest here before making sprites

Let me parrot a lot of (correct) people to make up my post:

Quote:the palette exists for a reason; it helps make the sprites look uniform beyond the stylistic choices of the outline and shading.
Quote:if we really wanted to make the palette better, it would need to be completely revised.
While I do see the point of the discussion on the palette, it would mean re-doing all the previously finished sprites, which - funnily enough - were made regardless of the palette's constraints.
Quote:colors should only be added when there is absolutely no substitute.

This being said, I did not lock the palette permanently to what it was when the project started. I had added orange for Angie back then. Teal has been added for Gats. And I let you add additional brown hues. I will let you add colors to the main table as long as the hue is not in the current palette.

I think that some of you are looking too hard at the colors instead of, well, using them to your advantage. As a pixelartist, the NES has even more limited hues and people seem to be using it without any problem. Why is that TFR, which is a lot more lax and broader with options, doesn't have 'enough colors'?

This being said, this is the last revision I'll be doing for the pallete for the time being.

[Image: 8G2UPAF.png]

Changes:

1- ADDED ANOTHER YELLOW COLUMN! That's great, isn't it? Now you have -really bright yellow- to be used in your sprites Big Grin
2- All the edits and additions made by other people (CBL, Ran) are kept. Ran's brown was moved to the 'gray area' (to the right) due to its unsaturated-ness: can be used for hued gray objects.
3- Removed the -redundant brown- shade. Now it is a -dim yellow- to complement the new yellow column.
  • OBS: There is no need to change your sprite if it used old brown. Just pretend you're using the remaining identical color. They were too identical to even matter anyway.
4- Minor swap: now the purple's darkest shade changed places with blueish gray's darkest shade. Makes more sense now imo. The colors were kept intact.
5- Another minor swap, now orange comes after tan skin color. No color was changed otherwise.

Compare with the old one:

[Image: 8G2UPAF.png] <- NEW

[Image: TSR_FR_Master_Palette01_zps8ae68421.png] <- OLD
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]

Messages In This Thread
THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - by Gors - 06-02-2012, 11:24 AM
i noticed, Crappy, i noticed - by Tellis - 06-07-2012, 08:33 PM
RE: i noticed, Crappy, i noticed - by Baegal - 06-07-2012, 08:37 PM
RE: THE FIGHTERS RESOURCE - Official Thread - by Gors - 04-18-2014, 08:46 AM