Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sprite Ripping Project 4: 2-D Fighting Games
Tile ripping fighting games never works Ton - many sprites share the same 8x8 pieces, and you need to put it together like a jigsaw puzzle that's an utter shambles, and where the same piece is used 60 times... And you don't know where.
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by: Ton
Well damn. Any idea? I don't want this to die so soon. Sad
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by:
Well keep going at it the way you are - you're getting results, just not rapidly. Sucks, but hey, that's the way it's going to be. I might join in soon enough.
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by:
I know "a" way (at least regarding SNES/Genesis fighters) but it requires some dedication. Basically make a savestate of the battle and use a tile editor like Tile Molester or YY-CHR and edit the tiles into squares of color of it's background (but not transparent) that isn't used in the fighter you are ripping.

In Clayfighter's case for the SNES, it would look something like this:
[Image: clayfighter.png]
If you wanted to rip the Blob, you would only need to take screenshots and edit out the background which is made easier by the lack of detail.
Doofenshmirtz: This is a little bit awkward but have you seen my escape jet keys? (Perry nods) What, you have? Well that's great! So where are they? (Perry looks away) You won't tell me? Is this because you don't speak or are you just being a jerk?
~Phineas and Ferb, "One Good Scare Ought to Do It!" (2008)
Thanked by: Ton
Just trying to save this project for a bit before I go for 2 weeks (then come back and do more):

Art of Fighting (Genesis)
[Image: aofmd-jack_icon.png]

If the test mode is still there in the game (the ROM references this), I would rip Street Fighter II Genesis to the end [for a reference in terms of ripping].

Oh and an update on Ulty's list:

- The character icons actually come from World Heroes 2 since Johnny Maximum (the American football player) does not appear in the original.

- Fatal Fury 1 Genesis is actually mostly complete since Hwa Jai and Billy Kane are absent in this version. It was due to cartridge space that they got cut out but they appear in the backgrounds on a couple of stages instead.

- Ivan Ooze from Power Rangers: Fighting Edition (SNES), Wolfgang Krauser from Fatal Fury 2 (Genesis), Mr. Big from Art of Fighting (Genesis), Karai, Krang and Triceratron from TMNT (Genesis) are ripped.
Thanked by:
Deathbringer, would you have to do that for each sprite?
Thanked by:
You don't have to do that if you use the table I provided. It works perfect on SNES Clayfighter, Clayfighter - Tournament Edition, and Clayfighter 2. Just change the 1st Value to something other than 0, and freeze it.
Thanked by:
I'll have to look into VSNES then. I currently use ZSNES.
Thanked by:
(03-27-2011, 01:12 AM)Tonberry2k Wrote: Deathbringer, would you have to do that for each sprite?
Yeah, because the changes in the savestate would only be temporary, hence why I said it would require dedication.

Doofenshmirtz: This is a little bit awkward but have you seen my escape jet keys? (Perry nods) What, you have? Well that's great! So where are they? (Perry looks away) You won't tell me? Is this because you don't speak or are you just being a jerk?
~Phineas and Ferb, "One Good Scare Ought to Do It!" (2008)
Thanked by:
I'm planning on ripping Variable Geo 2 for the PS1. I don't have a PS1 emulator yet. Can someone suggest one? I'm hoping its as friendly as winkawaks.
Thanked by:
(03-27-2011, 07:22 AM)rgveda99 Wrote: I'm planning on ripping Variable Geo 2 for the PS1. I don't have a PS1 emulator yet. Can someone suggest one? I'm hoping its as friendly as winkawaks.

Unfortunately, it's not always easy ripping from PS1 games. IIRC, I don't think any PS1 emulator makes sprite ripping as easy as Winkawaks does.

So you're gonna have to do some ISO work. (Getting the contents and using a tool to look inside the game for the sprites, if they're in there)
Thanked by:
(03-27-2011, 07:22 AM)rgveda99 Wrote: I'm planning on ripping Variable Geo 2 for the PS1. I don't have a PS1 emulator yet. Can someone suggest one? I'm hoping its as friendly as winkawaks.
Emulator: epsxe 1.7 & 1.6
http://npshare.de/files/5b71a97b/epsxe170and160.rar
1.7 is the latest version, but some games like Tales of Destiny don't like it (disabled controls), it also can't change discs. Quicksaves of both versions are compatible with VRAM.

Tool: PSX-VRAM:
http://www.romhacking.net/utils/442/

Tutorial for PSX-VRAM:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/communi...#pid278464

I guess this tool is not very friendly with fighting games, I had heavy problems with ripping from Guilty Gear because PSX-VRAM just shows 1 single sprite from the fighters in his quicksaves. The major sprites you can find in the saves are backgrounds and SFX. I have no idea if it's the same with Variable Geo 2.

Another thing: If you have the original CD in your collection, you can try PSicture. Some games show you all of their sprites with correct palettes, it's worth a try.

[Image: dariC.png][Image: tumblr_mlf109xOe81rmu6i5o1_250.gif][Image: b0KxM.gif]
Thanked by:
Man, ripping from Fighting games is hard...Especially if you have to take out the background manually.

For my first rip, here is Goku from the DBZ arcade game! These sprites are some of my favorites from the series. They're so big and colorful. :>
[Image: dragonballz_i.png]
[Image: goku_i.png]

I may rip more from the game. Also, there is one animation for the Genki Dama that I couldn't get because none of me or the maker of the FAQ I used knew how to do it. I'll update the sheet whenever I know how.
[Image: scaled.php?server=441&filename=ipposig.png&res=medium]
Thanked by:
Nice! I'd definitely like to see more from the game.
[Image: 27348983yu7.png]
Thanked by: Solink
(03-27-2011, 09:47 PM)Solink Wrote: For my first rip, here is Goku from the DBZ arcade game! These sprites are some of my favorites from the series. They're so big and colorful. :>
[Image: dragonballz_i.png]
[Image: goku_i.png]

I'm sorry this isn't on-topic, but Solink how in the world did you get Photobucket to not resize your sheet when it's so big?
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by: